General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The new trend in fluffy footwear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-14 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: The new trend in fluffy footwear
I'm not a Hoka fan but love my Altra olympus. My personal feeling with this level of footwear is that chronic use has the potential to cause your feet to become lazy (atrophied, unfit....) and may lead to some issues like PF. I only use the fluffy footwear for runs over 3 hours. I use Altra Instinct 1.5 for runs 1.5 hours to 3 and Vibram five fingers for anything less. It seems that the folks at Altra agree with this philosophy although I have zero research to back it up. Any thoughts out there?

2014-02-14 8:28 PM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: The new trend in fluffy footwear

Originally posted by La Tortuga I'm not a Hoka fan but love my Altra olympus. My personal feeling with this level of footwear is that chronic use has the potential to cause your feet to become lazy (atrophied, unfit....) and may lead to some issues like PF. I only use the fluffy footwear for runs over 3 hours. I use Altra Instinct 1.5 for runs 1.5 hours to 3 and Vibram five fingers for anything less. It seems that the folks at Altra agree with this philosophy although I have zero research to back it up. Any thoughts out there?

I'm not sure this is exactly what your discussing but I have experience with both of those shoe brands and the whole low drop makes your feet stronger, feel the road etc etc whatever. FAIL for me. Admittedly, I have terribly sucky flat feet with low arches but now I have a wicked case of tendonitis and can't run at all. So no, neither of shoes helped prevent injury - NO SHOE EVER HAS!!!!!!!

2014-02-14 8:46 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
I had never heard of them but last week tried on a pair of Hoka's when I was buying new shoes and I kinda liked them. Not knowing much about them though I decided to stick with my tried and true Asics Nimbus. I have very high arches though and might try them at some point.
2014-02-15 12:27 AM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Master
University Park, MD
I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on this. I have a fragile body, and I've been running in Hokas since last Spring. Currently on my 3rd pair. I like them a lot, and they have allowed me to run more than I would have believed possible. This week will be the highest mileage week of my life ... until next week comes around. My achilles tendon problems have actually gone away since I've been running in Hokas (aided by eccentric exercises and heel pads). I honestly don't feel that my feet are out of touch with the road when I run in the Hokas. But I have been feeling some foot soreness lately, and I'm trying to do exercises to address that. It could be that wearing these shoes has led to foot injuries. Or it could be that wearing these shoes has allowed me to do 70+ mpw, and that alone leads to foot niggles in old farts like me.
2014-02-15 9:14 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

I run in the Altra Torin and love them. they are not a cushy as some of the other Atlra's but I really like them and they work well for me. I did a 100 miler in them 2 weeks ago with great results and I ran in the same pair the whole 100 miles.

My thoughts on the Hoka's are I do not like them at all. They make me feel like my feel are rocking and unstable. I tried to drink the Hoka kool aide but it just did not work for me. Other swear by them.

I am a high mileage older runner too, 51 years old and run usually 80-100 mpw. I use to run in Zoots all the time but last fall I transitions into the Altra's for a little more cushioning and to go with a zero drop shoe. The transition has gone well, my body is holding up a bit better to the high miles since the swap and I sure felt a lot better after this 100 miler than my last one that I ran in Zoots. I am not knocking the Zoots at all but I just needed a little more cushion than they provide plus I want to with a zero drop shoe which they also do not provide.

I think I will try a pair of the Altra Olympus in the near future to start preparing for my next 100 miler which will probably be more of a trail than my last one which was through sugar cane fields.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The new trend in fluffy footwear Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ummm, am I missing a new trend?

Started by sulross
Views: 2516 Posts: 22

2013-03-13 11:44 AM Sidney Porter

Footwear for swim?

Started by goisles26
Views: 1366 Posts: 8

2009-03-14 1:22 PM WelshinPhilly

Is this a new trend????

Started by chrisrunzs26
Views: 906 Posts: 12

2007-04-11 11:03 AM Hudnick

Adidas' Intelligent Footwear - 5mil calculations/second

Started by Atak Kat
Views: 816 Posts: 1

2005-03-23 12:30 AM Atak Kat

footwear, transitions, clipless...help?

Started by autumn
Views: 1144 Posts: 6

2004-04-06 2:29 AM Pro_rider
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : November 14, 2004
author : Akuma
I am 28 now, hardly an old crony, but life in busy Sydney Australia has meant my belly is softer than the excuses I use to convince myself I am in good shape.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.