United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up. Had a powerbar and drank some water. Set up stuff in the transition area.
Event warmup:

Swam a bit in the lake before the race began. Wandered around waiting for my wave as we were nearly at the end.
Swim
  • 12m 30s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

First triathlon and first wave start from a wade. Had a bit of chop from the swimmers and ran into a few folks in the beginning. Eventually got to some clean water and swam my own race. Good spotting and navigation which is largely due to the fact that I always swim in a lake and constantly spot to smaller buoy's than the big markers in the event. I was barely ahead of the 3rd place clyde from memory. Much easier swim than I had imagined. I wore the wetsuit to get practice with using it as my next event will be in cold water. I did catch up with the previous wave and was able to keep clear as I was typically to the outside.
What would you do differently?:

I would work on my kick as I was almost entirely dragging my legs. I could have gone a bit faster if I had actually kicked more. Perhaps someting to work on this winter.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Was not too bad for my first transition. I know I can make it faster but I felt pretty good. I pulled the wetsuit off and sat down to put on the cycling shoes and socks. Put the helmet on before the glasses and then took it back off. Got underway pretty well. THere was a good bit of distance between the swim exit and the bike start but I dont know if that is usual.

Put on my glasses before I put on the helmet.
Bike
  • 44m
  • 13 miles
  • 17.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I went out a bit hard on the first lap due to the excitement. I was cruising at nearly 40mph on the downhills and was crawling up the hills at about 12mph or so. My focus was to maintain cadence. On the last two laps I tried to stay out of the burn which may have slowed me down a bit.

Ride more. Push a bit more throughout and pace myself better in the start so I dont get behind myself in terms of pacing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Was fairly quick here. Easily swapped shoes and dropped helmet. Put on number belt and away I went.

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where I reeled in the two other Clydes. The guy in the lead was a swimmer and he cooked out of the water. The second clyde passed me on the bike and on the run they were ahead of me. I started reeling in the eventual winner and saw that he was catching the current leader. Gradually I was closing on both of them. In the last mile or so the 2nd place clyde passed the leader and I saw that the leader did not run with him. That motivated me to turn on the gas. For the last half mile I was really pushing. I passed the then 2nd place guy and opened up the throttle all the way to the finish line to stay in front. That scored me the 2nd place. I was the fastest of the clydes (from what I saw on the results) for the run split which surprised me.

Run more so I have a better run split and can make up more time if necessary.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some gatorade with my wife and walked around a while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have only been training since June 1st. Another month would have really enabled me to come to the event with more speed. I have also been focusing mentally on long distance as my next event is an OLY.

Event comments:

I only have this race to compare as it is my first. I think that there was some organization issues with respect to the timing chips but in general it was no big deal. I had no issues but have no comparison so take it with a grain of salt. In general I am really surprised I did as well as I did. My goal was to hit about 1:30 or so based on my training paces and I exceeded that. To come in 2nd (yeah I know its not my AG that I was second in) was really surprising.

Last updated: 2006-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:30 | 820 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Split details from memory as website does not have full details. was definitely in the 12:XX range but cannot recall the seconds.
Suit: Promotion Sleevless
Course: Trangular counter clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:00 | 13 miles | 17.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/15
Performance: Average
Again, approximate due to poor memory of the splits and not having them posted. Based on my cycle computer I was abou 18mph average.
Wind: None
Course: It was a 4 loop course where there were two hills. right out of the transition we head downhill where we can get some good speed up. Then a relatively short hill where some speed is built and then a long grinding sort of hill back to the start of the loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:03 | 03.1 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/15
Performance: Good
This one is fairly close to pace from what I remember from the splits. Was 24 and low change.
Course: Out and back loop, fairly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-05 6:34 PM

User image

Regular
Lakewood CO
Subject: Rocky Mountain State Games

2006-08-06 4:22 PM
in reply to: #503152

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Rocky Mountain State Games
Awesome race!!!  You screamed through that swim!  I enjoyed reading your report.
2006-08-06 8:48 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Uh, I think you need to change your screen name b/c that was NOT slow!  Great race!
2006-08-07 8:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
They put up the complete results today.

Google for Rocky Mountain State Games.

Congrats on the 2nd Place in your division.

It was a blast.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rocky Mountain State Games Rss Feed