General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to do with insulinepump during swimming - type 1 diabetes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-16 2:55 AM

User image

New user

Odder, Denmark
Subject: What to do with insulinepump during swimming - type 1 diabetes
This question is mostly to type 1 diabetics wearing an insuline pump.
What do you do with your insulinepump during swimming.

Last year I decided I took it off, normally the T1 zone closes a long time before start and I'm not able to take it off at that time. Happely I had a friend who could take my insuline pump just before the start and give it back directly after the swimming discipline (before T1).

I'm not certain I will have my friend with me this year, so my question to you is what do you do with your insuline pump. Do you wear it during swimming? If yes how do you protect it from the water? If no what do you do to get your insuline pump again?

Thank you very much for helping!

2014-02-16 6:28 AM
in reply to: Guggefar

Roswell
Subject: RE: What to do with insulinepump during swimming - type 1 diabetes
I would talk to the race director. They may be able to make accommodations so that you could drop it of fin T1 or have another safe spot to keep your pump during the swim.
2014-02-16 7:45 AM
in reply to: chrishatcher1138

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hey there -- fellow T1 pumper here.

I've done the following in doing sprint and Olympic distance races. For all of these I have a bright colored insulated lunch "box" with my name and race number pinned to it. I put my pump, testing supplies, and fast acting glucose source in there, and keep it with me (and stay attached) as long as is practical.

1. Leave pump at a "swim out" table. At some races, they have a table set near the swim exit where people can leave their prescription glasses, etc. and them pick them up as they run out of the swim. Nice to be able to drop off there if the swim exit is close to the swim start...less time disconnected. But some races have said they would have a swim out table, and then never set one up, which makes for a bit of last minute scrambling to figure out a Plan B. Also, I once forgot to pick my pump up as I exited the water at one OLY race and didn't realize it until I got my bike shoes and helmet on in the transition area. Had to ask permission to run back down to the water (long and big hill involved). Made for a very long transition time and a lot of frustration. It's easier than you might think to forget it given race day excitement and being maybe a little disoriented after the swim.

2. See if the race director will let a volunteer working the swim out watch it for you. Had the nicest lady help me out in that way at one race.

3. Here's the one I think I like best. Ask for permission to drop your pump just over the fence in the transition area near where you will run in from the swim. That way you can drop it off shortly before the swim start without really having to re-enter the transition area, it's fairly safe there, and it's easy to pick up on your way to get your bike.

4. In a pool swim sprint tri, I have placed it near the exit door and asked a spectator to watch it for me.

5. In one sprint, I totally forgot to reconnect before heading out on the bike. Was a couple miles into the ride when I realized, so just went without it. I would not do that with any longer race though.

6. I've had my hubby keep my pump/bag and hand it to me on the way to the first transition. Not all race directors allow this, so definitely good to check first.

7. I have a friend who puts his pump in couple of (supposedly) waterproof bags and in a belt with a pocket. I think he also ruined one when he had a leak. Seems like a lot of trouble to me unless you are doing a full IM.

8. Some people use Animas pumps or the Omnipod because I believe they are more waterproof, and wear them all the way.

The race directors and USAT officials I've talked to about this have been very accommodating and willing to help, though not always consistent in allowing outside help.

Hope that helps! If you find a better way, please share .
2014-02-17 4:55 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Veteran
Central VA
<---D-Dad

Can't imagine a RD not allowing accommodations. Talk to them, maybe before race day which can be hectic.

2014-02-19 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4950171

User image

New user

Odder, Denmark
Thak you for the good ideas ;-) I wonder why it never crossed my mind to ask a race official.

One question again. I don't use a CGM. During the bike ride I measure my BG on my accu-check mobile (stripped to my earobars) so I can measure without stopping. What is the easiest way during the run??

Rgds Guido
2014-02-20 9:40 AM
in reply to: Guggefar

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
what is the length of your race?

I have seen at both a sprint you hand it to the people pulling you out of the water and have a chair at that location for you.

chris

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to do with insulinepump during swimming - type 1 diabetes Rss Feed