General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Top of foot pain after marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-16 7:04 AM

User image

Subject: Top of foot pain after marathon
Ran my first marathon yesterday and everything went to plan. Afterwards, I'd say 20-30 minutes, I developed pain in the top of my right foot. It feels like the pain is coming from the soft tissue between the tendons. Hurts worse when I bend my toes upward. Right now I'm just self diagnosing but does this sound more like tendon issues than a stress fracture? No swelling or bruising at all. I can walk on it ok, but do get a little pain if I jump up and down on it.

At this point I'm not sure which outcome is worse...both suck, as I have a 70.3 and an Ultra coming up in April and May.

2014-03-02 6:16 AM
in reply to: Tparkin

User image

Subject: RE: Top of foot pain after marathon
I found out that it is a ganglion cyst that is causing the foot pain. I tried running on it after a week and the run went ok but it flared up afterwards and now another week has gone by. I still have minimal pain in the area and I'm hesitant to try another run as I do t want it to get aggravated again.

The podiatrist says running on it will not cause any problems except that it may swell up and need to be drained. She is not considering surgery at this point, which as I understand it is the only way to get rid of this thing.

Does anyone have experience with this type of thing and if so how long until you could run reasonably pain free? I'm right at the edge of having to cancel my first two races due to the lack of run training and it is severely bumming me out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Top of foot pain after marathon Rss Feed