General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gps bike computer, vs watch mount or both Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-16 7:49 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
Subject: Gps bike computer, vs watch mount or both
This is my first foray into gps bike computers. I am looking at cateye stealth 50 or timex cycle trainer 2.0. Both seem to have speed, hr, dist, cadence etc etc.

To be honest I was looking at getting the timex cycle trainer 2.0 to permanently affix to my bike, with a cheaper timex heart rate wrist watch with just heart rate and time
so i dont get info overload, or get bummed out reading i only went 3 miles on a run when using something more robust. But I guess i would be open to a gps watch too.

So that begs my question, should i just get an all encompasing watch to do all this with? If so, how do people run this set up on their bike in transitions and all that? Just strap it on the bike mount? Isnt that annoying?

Or should i have a watch, and a separate bike computer?

Any advice is appreciated, its got me all stressed out

2014-02-16 8:39 AM
in reply to: MikeinGR

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Gps bike computer, vs watch mount or both
I'm using my Garmin 310XT for everything, but I never take it off in a race. It says on my arm
2014-02-17 6:36 AM
in reply to: MikeinGR

User image

I prefer the GPS watch and a simple bike computer (I use the Cateye double wireless) that will give me the info during the bike, the good thing about the watch is that you will be able to use the same tool to see and analyse all the 3 sports (or two if yours doesn't support swim)

My Bike computer is mounted in a way that I don't have to move a lot to see it, so I don't need to change position, that's why I have it otherwise I could just use my watch, There's always a little difference between the GPS and the Bike computer, but it's fair for what I need. So I haven't spend a lot of money in my bike computer, when I'm riding I use my Suunto Ambit with me also and I have everything I need. :D

The only thing is that with this configuration I have two cadence and speed sensors in my bike, one for my cateye and another for my Ambit.
2014-02-17 2:34 PM
in reply to: LGPS-BR

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
Cool. I just went to try on the Sunnuto, and Garmin top of line. In the end I went with Timex Cycle Trainer 2.0. I think I will really like it. For me, I HATE wearing watches. So with this baby it is a bike gps/HR/power/cadence device ... that you can take off ... switch it to run mode ... and carry in pocket. That is great for me because I don't want to wear a watch, look at it all the time, and be annoyed. If I want to pull out of pocket to take quick look, that is what I will do! And if I don't want to wear the strap which is also something I am pondering ... still got a gps. Will it work in swim? No. But, maybe it would if I bagged it. Keep that in back pocket too.

Here is what I really want, so somebody let me know if this exists, or you can invent it:

A unit just like this Timex Cycle/Run Trainer 2.0 ... no strap for heart rate but instead a heart rate finger sensor for a quick look ... and a quick release mechanism where I can take it from bike ... and clip it on my hat, shorts, race belt, whatever.

Now THAT would be killer.

No strap, no watch, hardly will know its there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gps bike computer, vs watch mount or both Rss Feed