Subject: RE: OK to rest during swim
Here is another great swim website. I recommend this one over total immersion:

www.swimsmooth.com

2014-02-28 5:34 PM
in reply to: dloehrs

User image

Originally posted by dloehrs

I want to do a sprint tri, and I've never done one. I am a strong cyclist, an able runner but my swimming is lacking. I started swimming in January and I am currently able to swim 200 yards at a time before needing about 30 seconds rest. I can piece together an 800 yard swim in 19-20 minutes. I have two options for my first tri, one on March 23rd, the other April 5th. (Probably many more further out but these two are the first local races).
I am very doubtful that I can get an uninterrupted 800 yard swim by that time. I've never watched a triathlon except for whats on major TV channels and I don't want to be that guy hanging on the pool edge on race day, getting in peoples way.
My question is this: If I was that guy, will I have company? Is it common, uncommon, uncool to be resting a few times during the swim? (The swim is in a pool, serpentine course).
I appreciate any response.
Thanks
David L.

Thank you for this post... it answered so many of my questions. I am a newbie too! I bet you by the end of summer you will be wearing the little euro briefs!

I had to comment because I am new and I didn't want to lose this thread.
2014-03-01 4:46 PM
in reply to: Dolcezza

Thanks for this - really useful info. I've signed up for my first sprint tri at end of April. Its good to know I can rest during the swim as this is by far my weakest. I am doing some swimming lessons at the local pool to help improve but.... I feel the cold really badly sometimes and have always felt pretty cold by the time I've got out of the pool but last week I ended up being treated for hypothermia!! I am now really concerned about if this will happen again. Any tips for how to prevent it? I am normal BMI, reasonably fit, vegetarian, 2 kids and definitely not training as much as I should!
2014-03-07 9:27 AM
in reply to: Dolcezza

User image

I felt one more reply before my triathlon later this month was in order.

I swam 850 yards non stop yesterday, just under 19 minutes, I could have done more. The last couple of weeks I have practiced form over speed and even distance. I worked on a good catch, a good pull, rotation, looking down (and even back a bit) and big exhales. Like the turtle that beat the hare, slow and steady.

I was apprehensive a month ago about swimming 800 yards, I look forward to training to Olympic distance next year, maybe this fall.

Thanks and good luck to all on your event

Dave

P.S. To Heather in Utah, I think I will save the Euro suit for when I am pool side sipping on some Southern Comfort
2014-03-07 9:58 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Great job! 

I haven't posted much lately, but I'm getting back into a more active BT life.  I think you've found some of the keys to successful swimming.  Slow down, relax, stay positive.  Thanks for the update from your original post. 

As to the original question.  Yes, it is ok to rest and no, you won't be the only one who doesn't swim non-stop.  If you go watch a tri, you'll see all forms of swimming ranging from flawless front crawl to breastroke to dog paddle to sidestroke to backstroke to walking. 

2014-03-24 5:43 AM

User image

Done and done. My unofficial time was 1:18.53, 750 meter swim, 12 mile bike, 3 mile run. All in all very pleased with results, weaknesses and strengths confirmed, training plans will be tweaked. I may start another thread, "Things I learned at my first tri."

Oh yea, one last thing. Other than slowing for traffic jams, no rest necessary. Whew!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OK to rest during swim Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Do you rest during the swim leg? Pages: 1 2

Started by jlenze
Views: 2334 Posts: 26

2013-02-14 8:59 AM Goosedog

OK to rest during swim?

Started by russrisher
Views: 1367 Posts: 7

2011-08-01 1:35 PM pschriver

How to keep track of swim distance...I know I'm dumb ok ok

Started by JG_GreenCoast
Views: 2763 Posts: 24

2010-12-03 6:31 PM tjtryon

Someone reassure me that it's ok for me to take a rest today

Started by thegomer
Views: 962 Posts: 7

2006-03-31 9:37 PM parrj

Ok to skip rest day for 1 week?

Started by NomadicDawn
Views: 725 Posts: 4

2005-06-23 11:26 PM Rollin' Thunder
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
A strong kick matched with the opposing hand's entry can give your swim a boost

date : April 5, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Discussion on training for a 5k open water swim, Ironman race swim placement, hammering on the swim during a race, TI swimming, importance of kick sets and rotation.
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.