General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Ride in Clipless Pedals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-18 12:52 PM

User image

Hereford, England
Subject: First Ride in Clipless Pedals
Today I did my first ride in clipless pedals and shoes. They are entry level stuff, Shimano R078 SPD-SL shoes, and Shimano R540 SPD-SL pedals.

Going around tighter corners at the start was a bit unnerving, but overall it felt good. I managed to keep a bit more power going up hill.

I rode my 16.9 mile route, knocked off over 3 minutes and added just over 1 mph to my average - now just over 18mph. Getting closer to my 20mph target, which I want for my tri that is a 10 mile bike.

I guess the bit extra training I have done since the last time I did that route helped. Also the fact I saw another cyclist up the road, and being slightly competitive I had to overtake him! And maybe a bit on the mental side of knowing I should be able to ride faster with these pedals and shoes.

Overall though, I thought they were brilliant and a great investment.

Now I have to practise getting into them on the move!

2014-02-18 1:11 PM
in reply to: Eucid

User image

Austin
Subject: RE: First Ride in Clipless Pedals

Good job and don't worry too much about falling. Everyone I know has fallen once they get clipless pedals, just try to get it out of the way; away from traffic, while going slow or stopped and not around your buddy's that won't let you live it down.

2014-02-18 1:27 PM

User image

Hereford, England
I fell in toe clips on my first training session! lol.

I ride alone, so luckily it'll only be the general public who laugh at me. But who likes the public anyway!!!
2014-02-18 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
I was hyper conscious about clipping out due to stories of people falling. So I would unclip (out of my right foot), but a couple times my body weight would shift and I would start tipping over to the left. Luckily I was able to violently unclip my left leg before completely toppling over.

Now, as I stop I turned slightly to the right, which helps keep the center of mass on the correct side.
2014-02-18 3:23 PM
in reply to: chris00nj

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Fell on my first ride ever while stopped and unclipped on my right foot (fell to the left). It's called putting the bike down.

Have not had a clip related incident since, though I've come close a couple of times. Having said that, watch me go make that happen.
2014-02-18 4:07 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Glad you had such a good experience. When you fall over, and you will fall over, probably in traffic or in front of someone you want to impress, don't put your hand down. I have known people who have broken their wrist or arm doing that. Just hang onto the handlebars and land on your hip.

2014-02-18 5:05 PM

User image

Everyone falls at least once, my bike rep and friend told me when he helped set me up in them its not if its when you will fall so don't worry about it.

I have two clipless falls, two cage and one ice wreck in my several years of riding. Both my clipless were because my chain slipped off my ring (chain was at the end of its lifecycle and was getting stretched) and I couldn't unclip fast enough and I freaked. My last cage fall was stupid I only had one foot in and changed my mind about going and a huge gust of wind came in and threw my balance off and down I went, the first one was because I was trying to swerve out of the way of a car who was running a red light and about clipped me. My fall was when I hit ice going around a corner and bruised a rib.

I noticed clipless added about 1-2 MPH to my speed as well, so much nicer than cages.
2014-02-19 8:04 AM

User image

I fell plenty of times. For some reason, I'd insist on unclipping my right foot first, and then spontaneously lean towards the left to put my left foot down..... and then I'd fall because of course, my left foot would still be clipped *rolling eyes* 

But I did notice an immediate improvement in my pedaling, I felt less tired and I could go faster. But hey, I'm a beginner and definitely a wannabe

2014-02-19 1:05 PM

Baltimore, MD
Originally posted by Eucid

Today I did my first ride in clipless pedals and shoes. They are entry level stuff, Shimano R078 SPD-SL shoes, and Shimano R540 SPD-SL pedals.

I just ordered that same setup. I found the shoes on a special closeout from REI and the pedals at Nashbar with a 20% off everything today only deal. I think I got the whole setup for right around $100.

I'm looking forward to going to SPD-SL from my regular SPD, worn out mountain bike shoes and small pedals. I'm impressed by how light these new shoes are compared to my old ones. I'm hoping the larger pedal platform will reduce the pressure in the bottom of my foot as well.

Oh and just make sure you fall towards the curb, and not into traffic!
2014-02-19 1:20 PM

User image

Hereford, England
Just done my second ride and I felt a lot more comfortable with them. Especially around corners. However, I still haven't needed to unclip while out on the ride for any reason.

So I guess it's just time until I need to unclip, then probably fall.

When I fell in my toe clips I found it very exhilarating. Anyone else feel that way? I probably only did as I didn't get hurt, just a few scrapes.
2014-02-19 3:03 PM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
fall on purpose, I think I fell three or four times my first ride in em, it seems I get lazy once in a while and forget to unclip at a light, usually with people laughing.

2014-02-20 1:31 PM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Clipless pedals are the things I love. They scare me but its so much better.

I yet to have fallen from mine. .

One thing I think about is I tend to unclip right and lean right. My question is wouldn't it be better to unclip left so if you fall you right and ideally not fall into traffic?
2014-02-21 7:37 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Good job!  Took me awhile to get fully used to them.  I learned while commuting so there were lots of starts and stops...one or two falls too!

2014-02-21 7:55 AM

User image

LoL well this thread makes me feel better to know Im not alone.... Bought my first set this past summer everthing went well till one day I got a flat tire and could not get uncliped fast enough needless to say I crashed and burned nothing major but it sure was embarrassing.....
2014-02-21 8:05 AM

User image

You mentioned some nervousness in cornering. Great tips here http://cyclingtips.com.au/2009/10/cornering-tips/ on cornering and a neat video on counter steering.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Ride in Clipless Pedals Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First OWS and first day clipless

Started by dozzman
Views: 1151 Posts: 11

2012-04-23 1:42 PM Tom Demerly.

Aaaahhhh first clipless ride !!!!

Started by GatorDeb
Views: 1150 Posts: 12

2012-03-21 4:33 PM GatorDeb

Well it happened....v first time new bike & clipless pedals

Started by ditchdocff
Views: 910 Posts: 8

2010-08-23 12:08 PM thegoddess

Newbie's first bike ride w/clipless pedals!!

Started by AbbieR
Views: 923 Posts: 12

2006-05-15 4:57 PM AbbieR

why clipless pedals

Started by trilover
Views: 2299 Posts: 23

2003-12-29 6:11 AM clightle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : April 19, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 15
Learn what the proper pedaling technique looks like and how to become a more efficient and economical cyclist.
date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?

date : September 9, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?
date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.

date : December 7, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By becoming more aware of your pedal stroke, you can choose to manipulate where and how you activate your leg muscles as your foot traces the circular trajectory at the cranks.
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : March 13, 2005
author : infosteward
Using Clipless Pedals Increases Efficiency