General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Youngest IM "Legacy" athlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-18 2:01 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: Youngest IM "Legacy" athlete

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2014/02/anna-fyodovora-legacy-profile.aspx#axzz2taUkss5u

At the ripe age of 32, New York's Anna Fyodorova added the sought–after IRONMAN World Championship to her racing resume, thanks to IRONMAN’s Legacy program. The 18-time IRONMAN finisher was one of a 100 athletes chosen to race this past year in Hawaii as a reward for loyalty to IRONMAN races. And, when the call came with the good news, Fyodorova didn’t hesitate to accept the challenge—she booked her travel accommodations that day. 

How on earth can a 32 year old swim coach afford 18 IMs?

hashtagbitter

2014-02-18 2:54 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Youngest IM "Legacy" athlete

That is simply incredible. She's a Type I diabetic, too!

At 28 (and an engineer!) I could probably afford a bunch of IMs... if I did nothing else. No more Ragnar, no more Christmas/Thanksgiving trips, vacations, etc... SERIOUS dedication on her part, physically and financially.

2014-02-18 4:11 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

That is simply incredible. She's a Type I diabetic, too!

At 28 (and an engineer!) I could probably afford a bunch of IMs... if I did nothing else. No more Ragnar, no more Christmas/Thanksgiving trips, vacations, etc... SERIOUS dedication on her part, physically and financially.

Same here. I'd rather have other fun!

And I think she's a PT, coaches in her free time.
2014-02-20 8:47 PM
in reply to: MechEChick

A PT should easily be able to afford it, even at that age. Starting PT salary is surprisingly good.

That said, that's quite a time & effort commitment while working full time.
2014-02-20 9:27 PM

User image

If all you are doing with your disposable income is doing ironman, then I'm sure she could afford it.  Think about how much the average 22-32 year old spends on their free time activities and hobbies every week.  Eating out, movies, bars, clubs, etc.  Now multiply that number by 52.  When you're training for long distance racing, you don't have nearly as much time or energy to do some of those other activities which cost money.

Lots of people don't like to think about how much they've spent in the sport (I know I don't), but I could also do the reverse and realize how much I've saved by cutting back on some of my other activities which also cost me money.

2014-02-20 10:58 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by trishie

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2014/02/anna-fyodovora-legacy-profile.aspx#axzz2taUkss5u

At the ripe age of 32, New York's Anna Fyodorova added the sought–after IRONMAN World Championship to her racing resume, thanks to IRONMAN’s Legacy program. The 18-time IRONMAN finisher was one of a 100 athletes chosen to race this past year in Hawaii as a reward for loyalty to IRONMAN races. And, when the call came with the good news, Fyodorova didn’t hesitate to accept the challenge—she booked her travel accommodations that day. 

hashtagbitter

If you are resourceful you can race really cheap.

Both years I did IM's I spent under $250 for the weekend, helps to have friends and family around the country.

Last year I raced 12 races all around the midwest, my expenses were under $1500 for the summer. Again being resourceful, making connections and getting the most out of each dollar goes a long way.

Oh and stay out of the IM expo, I have zero IM merchandise except for what they provide in your bag.

2014-02-20 11:05 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25

hashtagbitter

If you are resourceful you can race really cheap. Both years I did IM's I spent under $250 for the weekend, helps to have friends and family around the country. Last year I raced 12 races all around the midwest, my expenses were under $1500 for the summer. Again being resourceful, making connections and getting the most out of each dollar goes a long way. Oh and stay out of the IM expo, I have zero IM merchandise except for what they provide in your bag.

Were you stealing gas?    You can make a dollar go exactly 1/3 of a gallon.......not "a long way". LOL

2014-02-21 10:25 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs

hashtagbitter

If you are resourceful you can race really cheap. Both years I did IM's I spent under $250 for the weekend, helps to have friends and family around the country. Last year I raced 12 races all around the midwest, my expenses were under $1500 for the summer. Again being resourceful, making connections and getting the most out of each dollar goes a long way. Oh and stay out of the IM expo, I have zero IM merchandise except for what they provide in your bag.

Still a $500+ entry fee

2014-02-21 10:30 AM

User image

hashtagbitter

Still a $500+ entry fee

But it's still 18 IMs spread over 10 years...or less than 1500 per year for IM registration fees. I know plenty of people that have spent way more than 1500 per year during that same time frame just on cigarettes alone.
2014-02-21 10:41 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Left Brain

hashtagbitter

Were you stealing gas?    You can make a dollar go exactly 1/3 of a gallon.......not "a long way". LOL

Would be curious on this... travel is one of my biggest expenses in racing. Even only driving 3 hours each way to the nearest "major" metro with lots of races, it's ~2 tanks of gas ($120) round trip. Plus entry fee as a minimum investment. I know you can be frugal in other areas, but you kind of have to get to the race and pay the entry fee

2014-02-21 10:45 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by lisac957

hashtagbitter

Would be curious on this... travel is one of my biggest expenses in racing. Even only driving 3 hours each way to the nearest "major" metro with lots of races, it's ~2 tanks of gas ($120) round trip. Plus entry fee as a minimum investment. I know you can be frugal in other areas, but you kind of have to get to the race and pay the entry fee

Carpooling with bike racks if you have friends going would help with the travel expense.

2014-02-21 10:46 AM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
If you are resourceful you can race really cheap.

Both years I did IM's I spent under $250 for the weekend, helps to have friends and family around the country.

Last year I raced 12 races all around the midwest, my expenses were under $1500 for the summer. Again being resourceful, making connections and getting the most out of each dollar goes a long way.

Oh and stay out of the IM expo, I have zero IM merchandise except for what they provide in your bag.

no entry fees for your IMs?
2014-02-21 11:14 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by msteiner

Carpooling with bike racks if you have friends going would help with the travel expense.

True! I have carpooled in the past but then it's harder to crash at a friend or family's place with plus-one or more. Then you spend that saved money on a hotel room. BUT for the IMs I've done (carpooling with 2 other athletes), we found a great compromise is those hotel chains that have 2 bedroom/2 bathroom suites (and usually have a kitchenette with a stove so you can cook your own meals). Splitting that cost 3 or 4 ways saves a ton!

2014-02-21 11:38 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary

hashtagbitter

Whoa, hold the phone. I don't know you but having now completed a cursory review of your blog for the last year it would seem that you have made some stellar choices in life and have accomplished quite a bit. Give yourself a pat on the back and rejoice a little in others' successes.
2014-02-21 12:21 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by lisac957

hashtagbitter

Except bike racks are super un-aero and would drive your fuel cost up.

2014-02-21 12:27 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Look, I'm just gonna say this.  We travel alot for races.  You CANNOT race 12 races "around the midwest" for $1500.00.   You're probably over $500.00 just for entry fees.......but I don't know too many $40.00 races anymore, even sprints.  So you're probably closer to $750 or $800 just for entries.  You have to drive, you have to eat, you have to sleep somewhere. 

I say nay nay.

2014-02-21 1:26 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by BigDH

hashtagbitter

Whoa, hold the phone. I don't know you but having now completed a cursory review of your blog for the last year it would seem that you have made some stellar choices in life and have accomplished quite a bit. Give yourself a pat on the back and rejoice a little in others' successes.

Thanks

I've just been feeling the IM itch lately

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Youngest IM "Legacy" athlete Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

how young is too young? Pages: 1 2

Started by falconsprint63
Views: 2726 Posts: 29

2012-06-26 8:45 PM falconsprint63

Endurance athletes die young! Pages: 1 2

Started by pga_mike
Views: 5333 Posts: 50

2012-05-23 7:39 PM donw

How young is to young?

Started by Wesley12
Views: 2043 Posts: 13

2011-06-02 5:12 PM dano-oly

Inspire an IM LP athlete

Started by ADollar79
Views: 975 Posts: 12

2007-07-20 8:21 PM rollinbones

Paraplegic IM athlete dies...

Started by Joe M
Views: 898 Posts: 1

2005-02-28 12:55 AM Joe M
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
As an athlete, you are unlikely obese, but you may have concerns about your weight or have relatives who struggle with their weight.

date : August 31, 2011
author : Mandoline
comments : 6
The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.
date : October 20, 2008
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.

date : September 3, 2005
The purpose of this article is to look at caffeine (most commonly consumed as coffee) as part of a sports diet and to help you determine whether you want to take it or leave it.
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.
date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.