Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-02-18 5:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: HELP! I need to poo!
I cannot believe I am publically announcing this, but I am desperate. I changed my diet to a mostly Paleo plan in late December and ever since then, I've been getting increasingly less satisfied with my poos. I feel heavy in the gut and just kind of full all the time. It was tolerable until the last week or so ... I now look seven months pregnant (which is the opposite of what Paleo should do! I should be LESS bloated!), and have terrible (and smelly!) gas and cramps. The only time I've gotten some relief is when I've gone off Paleo for a weekend.

I really, really want to keep eating Paleo. I initially lost weight and felt great, and it helped my severe arthritis pain immensely. I've tried OTC laxatives with only a little success, and I don't really want to have to take a medicine on a regular basis to keep me regular. What do I do to poo? Wait it out? Please offer any advice - I'm miserable and sick of looking terrible, too!

2014-02-18 6:04 PM
in reply to: smarti

User image

Subject: RE: HELP! I need to poo!
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/prodflax.htm

Most grocery stores carry this stuff now. Sams carries something like 2 pound bags of the stuff.

I put a couple large spoon fulls into a recoverite shake after working out.

One problem with a low carb type diet (yes, I know paleo isn't necessarily that) is you don't get all that much in the way of fiber.

Hell, I've made pizza with this and come up with a 20 grams of carbs total for a 15" pizza.

2014-02-18 7:22 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Bronze member

Google natural remedies for constipation and you will get tons of different things to try. I am really not educated about a Paleo diet but I one thing I read before was to eat an apple http://www.natural-homeremedies.org/homeremedies-constipation.htm - more info in the link. It suggests to bite it and eat, not slice it or anything. I had trouble, not as bad as you though, and this cleared it up for me. Flax Seed has also helped me in the past.

Good luck, I am a total grouch when things don't operate as expected!

2014-02-18 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
A magnesium supplement has worked wonders for me after a lifetime of constipation. I love it as I don't want to depend on medicine on a regular basis. Good luck and feel better soon.
2014-02-18 8:44 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by smarti I cannot believe I am publically announcing this, but I am desperate. I changed my diet to a mostly Paleo plan in late December and ever since then, I've been getting increasingly less satisfied with my poos. I feel heavy in the gut and just kind of full all the time. It was tolerable until the last week or so ... I now look seven months pregnant (which is the opposite of what Paleo should do! I should be LESS bloated!), and have terrible (and smelly!) gas and cramps. The only time I've gotten some relief is when I've gone off Paleo for a weekend. I really, really want to keep eating Paleo. I initially lost weight and felt great, and it helped my severe arthritis pain immensely. I've tried OTC laxatives with only a little success, and I don't really want to have to take a medicine on a regular basis to keep me regular. What do I do to poo? Wait it out? Please offer any advice - I'm miserable and sick of looking terrible, too!

Have a cup of coffee every morning.  That really seems to work for me. 

The other thing might be that you are not tolerating one of your foods well.   If you're eating a fairly regular diet, start writing everything down, if you're not already.  Then chart the severity of your discomfort.   See if you can make any connections:  "Hmm.... every time I eat a lot of X, I REALLY start to hurt."  

The other thing would be to see if adding ONE food from your non-Paleo diet really seems to help.   

2014-02-18 8:56 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
this will sound like a counter intuitive thing for paleo, but look into resistant starch as a solution. Angelo Coppola did a very interesting episode of Latest in Paleo on this. He rarely has guests, but he had two people in to talk about the use of resistant starch for various effects. The main purpose is to be a pre-biotic, not pro-biotic - feed your gut biome and your digestion will get in line.

2014-02-18 10:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Reno
For the long hall - Ground flax seeds, any other fiber you can manage. How about a fiber supplement like citricell? I find nuts help.To get you moving again, how about a stool softener? And probiotics - I know you aren't eating yogurt - how about in pill form.,

Edited by bootygirl 2014-02-18 10:44 PM
2014-02-19 8:11 AM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Go eat at McDonalds. You will have to go within the hour.
2014-02-19 8:47 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I'm so glad to share this knowledge with you.  I will suggest you watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WQaqeC_wME

Poopin' 2.0.  The really good stuff starts after 5 minutes, but if you have the time the whole thing is pretty funny.     Not all of his claims are really true, but I will say after introducing the poop box (a small step stool from IKEA) to my bathroom that poopin' is much easier.

You're welcome and good luck! 

2014-02-19 9:53 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by DeVinci13

Go eat at McDonalds. You will have to go within the hour.

KFC. eColi makes an awesome laxative.
2014-02-19 11:59 AM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

try stopping the gimmick diet and eat a healthy diet with more fiber.

2014-02-19 12:10 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by dmiller5

Did you read the part about how it helps her severe arthritis pain immensely?

We all have to find what works best for us individually. No need for labels like "gimmick diet". 

2014-02-19 12:12 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by lisac957

We all have to find what works best for us individually. No need for labels like "gimmick diet". 

the help for her arthritis pain is likely to the exclusion of something bad from her previous diet, and clearly this diet doesn't help her if she is so constipated that she looks like she is 7 months pregnant. and it is a gimmick.

2014-02-19 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Most of the info centered around being constipated on a paleo diet seems to point to increasing your levels of healthy gut bacteria by eating fermented foods, etc. It's pretty unusual to end up constipated when you're eating paleo since the bulk of your diet is plants (I think most people tend the other direction!), but in some people the change in diet is enough to mess with their system for a while.

Here's a good article on fiber in the diet, and how it works related to stool motility (this is to address the comment above about the "fad" diet, since I know that you're not doing paleo for fad reasons but rather to reduce inflammation and help with the arthritis):

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fiber-gut-health/#axzz2tnER2OW6

Page 19 of this Robb Wolf podcast transcript addresses constipation and possible solutions:

http://robbwolf.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/the-paleo-solution-episode-69.pdf

This is more general:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/poop-health/#axzz2tnI8X756

"

2014-02-19 12:31 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

the help for her arthritis pain is likely to the exclusion of something bad from her previous diet, and clearly this diet doesn't help her if she is so constipated that she looks like she is 7 months pregnant. and it is a gimmick.

Again we all have to find what works for us individually. A gimmick to you is a solution to someone else.
If the OP can find a solution that both eliminates her severe pain and her bloat, I think she would appreciate those helpful responses. 

2014-02-19 12:33 PM

User image

Pro

If I were that constipated and bloated to that degree the first thing I would do would be to rule out something medical. That's not normal, no matter what you eat.

2014-02-19 12:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Also wanted to add that it may be that you're eating too much of a certain food that can cause constipation, that maybe you weren't eating in large quantities before. Bananas? Nuts? I know those can cause constipation, and a lot of people end up eating a lot of that when they cut sugar/grains.

Edited by Stacers 2014-02-19 12:35 PM
2014-02-19 12:44 PM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Bronze member
Thanks for the feedback - after another dose of laxatives, I am feeling better - more like 3 months pregnant

Obviously, I thought about the fiber issue, but if anything, I am eating MORE fiber than before with my increase in vegetables. Interesting thought Stacers had about looking for what foods I may have increased in my diet, and that could be nuts and nut butters. And I did go to the doctor last week for an exam to rule out ovarian cysts, which I am prone to, and while the pelvic exam came back okay, I do have an infection I am currently treating. Perhaps that is playing a part?

I like the idea of flax seed and magnesium, too.
2014-02-19 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Originally posted by smarti Thanks for the feedback - after another dose of laxatives, I am feeling better - more like 3 months pregnant Obviously, I thought about the fiber issue, but if anything, I am eating MORE fiber than before with my increase in vegetables. Interesting thought Stacers had about looking for what foods I may have increased in my diet, and that could be nuts and nut butters. And I did go to the doctor last week for an exam to rule out ovarian cysts, which I am prone to, and while the pelvic exam came back okay, I do have an infection I am currently treating. Perhaps that is playing a part? I like the idea of flax seed and magnesium, too.

Are you taking antibiotics for the infection? I know that wouldn't be the only cause since you've had this issue since January, but it could be exacerbating things by messing with your gut flora (killing good bacteria).

2014-02-19 1:54 PM

User image

Pro

I think the intent of this post was right... but the delivery was poor - if I'm interpreting it how I want

Maybe something is missing from your diet that is non-paleo that may help with digestion and not affect your arthritis pain?

2014-02-19 2:06 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

it could also be that the bacteria in your gut are adapted to/consist of bacteria that thrived on your old diet. The sudden extreme change could cause issues.

2014-02-19 2:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Bronze member

it could also be that the bacteria in your gut are adapted to/consist of bacteria that thrived on your old diet. The sudden extreme change could cause issues.

If I had to guess (in my non-medical opinion), I think it's this. So I'm trying to deal as best I can while my body adjusts. I'm more than willing to eat some brown rice or quinoa or oatmeal again if it helps!
2014-02-19 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

not sure on this, has anyone tried a probiotic yogurt or pill in this situation?

2014-02-19 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Are you getting enough good fat? Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, etc. This can sometimes "lube" things up, for lack of a better word.

Also, nuts can be an issue, as mentioned above.

2014-02-19 3:36 PM
in reply to: rustymom

User image

Elite
Perhaps a trip on a cruise ship? Trip to Mexico? Drink the water. Of course, just kidding. Maybe a giggle or two will help get you back the gut motility you desire.

Seriously, how's your hydration? Do you stay well hydrated? I'd talk to your doc/dietician. You don't wanna be on laxatives long-term.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » HELP! I need to poo! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

The Tao of Poo

Started by TrevorC
Views: 2288 Posts: 25

2010-10-11 12:11 PM TriAya

Research help/Trivia I need help

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 1500 Posts: 14

2008-06-09 4:31 PM briderdt

pick up yer friggin' dog poo! Pages: 1 2

Started by marymosc13
Views: 1088 Posts: 30

2007-03-23 5:15 PM DickDime

Need someone that knows diamonds - really need help

Started by auto208562
Views: 551 Posts: 1

2006-10-04 7:55 PM auto208562

Do pigs eat their own poo?

Started by Opus
Views: 7498 Posts: 24

2006-06-01 8:04 AM runnergirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.