General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just Had Guru Fit - Help with Stack and Reach and Bike Suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-19 1:55 PM

Subject: Just Had Guru Fit - Help with Stack and Reach and Bike Suggestions
I just had a Guru Fit and I very much enjoyed the experience. I figured that, at some point, I would be investing in a triathlon bike and wanted to know what bikes would fit me in the event I came across a deal that I couldn't pass up.

First question is - does anyone know how to calculate stack and reach from the numbers that I am given from a guru fit? I asked the question to my fitter a few times and he tells me that "my" stack and reach would completely depend on what bike I am looking at (due to the seat tuble angle and other factors). However, from my cursory research, it seems that there should be a way to get my preferred stack and reach (thereby being able to compare apples to apples from the guru coordinates. I found a calculator here:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Fit_Calculator/bar_bore_calc.php

but don't really know where the other numbers come from other than the X and Y measurements. I've been pouring over what I've been able to find online, but I still find it somewhat confusing. I'm hoping that I'm making it more complicated than it has to be and it's a relatively simple calculation.

Also, I was able to locate a great deal on a 2013 Cervelo P2 in a 56. Per my Guru fit, I would need to have a 70mm stem with a -17 degree angle. My fitter indicated that 70mm is too short and would make the handling incredibly twitchy. While I had a great experience and trust the fitter, I do know that he is a road bike rider first and foremost. That being said, I was wondering if I could get a few second opinions on the impact a 70mm stem would have on the handling of a P2.

He suggested that a 54 would fit me with a 90mm -17 stem and 45mm of spacers; but I'm thinking if that a 70mm stem is something that would work, I would only need 5-10mm of spacers and be able to snag a phenomenal deal on a bike that is fairly well regarded.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2014-02-19 2:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Just Had Guru Fit - Help with Stack and Reach and Bike Suggestions
wait, huh?

I asked the question to my fitter a few times and he tells me that "my" stack and reach would completely depend on what bike I am looking at

smells very fishy.

Edited by fisherman76 2014-02-19 2:13 PM
2014-02-19 2:33 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

Yeah, I wasn't really satisfied with the answer I got, hence, me asking the question a few times. After a while, I knew I wasn't going to get a stack/reach answer and moved on to other questions (it was a very long fit and felt like I was taking a class - in a good way).

For what its worth, it didn't seem that the fitter was withholding any information and I didn't get the salesman vibe at all. He was more than willing to give recommendations for all types of makes and models of bikes despite the fact that the shop only sells a few brands. Also, I can't really think of any motivation he would have for purposefully withholding the stack and reach.

Maybe he was thought I was asking about what a particular bike's stack and reach was? (Though I believe I made myself pretty clear). Maybe I'll shoot him an e-mail asking him to clarify.
2014-02-19 4:05 PM
in reply to: PaulZ323

User image

Champion
MA

Sounds like he isn't familiar with the stack and reach concept that is used in triathlon world put out by Dan on ST.

What numbers did he give you?  Post them and see if someone can help you make sense of the numbers.

2014-02-19 5:51 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by KathyG

Sounds like he isn't familiar with the stack and reach concept that is used in triathlon world put out by Dan on ST.

What numbers did he give you?  Post them and see if someone can help you make sense of the numbers.

This or just post them on ST as Dan quite often will step in and lend a hand.

2014-02-19 7:32 PM
in reply to: thebigb

Summerville, South Carolina
This is off topic, but what is ST?

2014-02-19 7:38 PM

User image

New user
penticton
I asked the question to my fitter a few times and he tells me that "my" stack and reach would completely depend on what bike I am looking at (due to the seat tuble angle and other factors).

perhaps there was a misunderstanding? that is very wrong.... stack and reach are....stack and reach...they dont depend of any factor or angles... they are hard fact numbers that should be provided at the end of a bike fit.
2014-02-19 8:04 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

I think it was a misunderstanding as well (Kathy I thought at first he may not be, but it was later brought up in conversation that he did have his FIST certification).

I'll work on posting to slow twitch as well, but in the mean time; these were the numbers I got:

SX: 154
SY: 679
HX: 487
HY: 575

Saddle Height Over Bottom Bracket: 745
Saddle Setback: 10
Drop from Saddle to Bars: 117
Reach from Saddle to Bars: 776

Saddle Type: Fizik Arione Tri2
Bar Type: Zipp Ski Bend
Aero Bar Extenction 270
Pad Stack Height: 37
Crank Length 172.5

I'm about 5'11 with about a 33 inch inseam
2014-02-19 10:30 PM
in reply to: Mlwatson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
ST is slowtwitch. It is another website and forum about triathlon
Originally posted by MlwatsonThis is off topic, but what is ST?
2014-02-20 8:33 AM

User image

New user
penticton
well, i m not sure what your fitter did.

perhaps he get your elbow and base bar stack and reach/??

you should give him a call for a explanation.

what does Sx Sy Hx Hy all stand for?

i would not want to guess his mesurements but if we can provide you with a stack reach to the headset...you will know quickly what bike will fit you.

if he provide you with stack and reach of elbow pads and arms extension, then yes, we can also use that to give you what bike/superbike will fit with what stem and bars combination.

But that should be the fitter job to start with. did you guys got interrupted halfway? what bike recommendation did he make?
2014-02-20 8:39 AM

User image

New user
penticton
fitting a 56cm cervelo with a 70mm stem is somehting possible. Yes, it will make the handling more nervous. that is something anyone can get use to. it s not something dangerous...simply a different ''personality of the bike''.

That said, if you are to go with a 54cm...there is no point in using a -17 degres stem with 4.5cm of spacer. That is borderline dangerous. no one should ride a 45mm of spacer on a carbon steer tube.

simply use a 6 degres stem, and perhaps put some spacer under the elbow pads and you could end up with a great fitting bike with 1-2cm of spacer only.

2014-02-20 8:45 AM
in reply to: jonnyo

Master
Northern IL

From what I know, the fit should be able to give the measurements to the various contact points. The pads most notably. And from there they should be able to derive what frames should work well without having to resort to wonky stems or other tricks to fit someone to the bike. It looks like that's what the S-dimensions are, with the H possibly being somehow to the saddle? Confirm that with the fitter. They should be able to explain what all of that is.

2014-02-20 9:20 AM

Put your #'s into TT Bike fits new program. I think there is a free beta version right now. Very cool and this guy Todd knows his stuff
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just Had Guru Fit - Help with Stack and Reach and Bike Suggestions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

School me about stack and reach

Started by chayes
Views: 932 Posts: 2

2012-08-19 3:32 PM audiojan

Correlating Fit Stack/Reach to Bikes

Started by JRL
Views: 5890 Posts: 15

2011-12-01 4:48 PM outdoorWI

Bike Fit / Aero Bar Guru's - Help plz

Started by funkyd04
Views: 1538 Posts: 8

2009-07-26 5:43 PM funkyd04

Bike Fit Gurus - Need your help again

Started by darbaugh
Views: 1201 Posts: 8

2009-07-17 1:49 PM breckview
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2010
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
Doug was one of the few swimming coaches who really appreciated how important swimming technique is and would spend as much or more time with his athletes making sure they got it right.

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.

date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.

date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.
date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.