General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Tri in June Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-19 7:29 PM

Subject: My First Tri in June
Hello Everyone. I talked myself into doing a Sprint Tri in June. I started training on my own a few weeks ago. I'm former Military and not in the best shape so I've been creating my own plan based on my fitness level from 15 years ago. Lol. I found this page on FB and thought it would give me the structure, encouragement, and motivation I need. If you have any advice for a newbie please sent it my way. Feeling super excited and nervous.

2014-02-19 7:50 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: My First Tri in June
It's a 750m swim 20km ride 5km run?

I suppose you need to tailor your training according to which disciplines you are most weak in. I’m a swimmer, so when I started doing sprint tris I didn’t need to do any swim training, but you get beginners who can barely swim 500m in a pool. Suddenly they have to do a 750 swim, in the ocean with 200 other competitors and they really struggle.

Edited by zedzded 2014-02-19 7:58 PM
2014-02-20 1:34 PM
in reply to: angewinte

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC

I agree, the first thing to do is make sure that you are proficient in the swim.  You can alternate your swim training with run and bike training.  Most newbies who struggle do so in the swim.

2014-02-20 1:56 PM
in reply to: blynott

User image

Is it open water? I found my biggest problem for my first open water swim was sighting. If you can get out and practice sighting it would help greatly and keep you from swimming off course and ended up doing 900 meters instead of 750.
2014-02-20 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
which sprint tri ? Tri Latta or Enka perhaps ?

what are your goals ?
2014-02-20 4:41 PM
in reply to: sirdizzy

Originally posted by sirdizzy

Is it open water? I found my biggest problem for my first open water swim was sighting. If you can get out and practice sighting it would help greatly and keep you from swimming off course and ended up doing 900 meters instead of 750.

I find that quite tiring, I usually try and pick someone going a similar speed, draft them and also let them do the sighting! Obviously you are then entusting them not to go off course ha ha

2014-02-20 7:09 PM

User image

good call coming here. i did my first sprint tri last year and have found the folks to be very helpful.
2014-02-20 7:30 PM
in reply to: zedzded

It's a 250 yard swim, 8 mile bike ride, and a 2 mile run. It's a part of the Ramblin' Rose tour. I've been running 3 times a week, riding twice a week, and swimming once a week. I'm not a strong swimmer so I went to a class at the local Y for a refresher the other day. Other than recreational swimming on vacation I don't normally swim for any amount of distance. The instructor noticed when I swam backwards my legs moved smoothly. When I attempted to breast stroke it appears that I do a little too much moving. This is definitely going to take some time and commitment to fix. Thanks for the great advice everyone!
2014-02-21 7:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
If its your first tri, then the number one objective is to enjoy it. Although your tri is one of the shortest distances there are, you'll find that some of your competitors will be going at maximum speed as they are using this short distance tri as a simple high intensity workout. This can be dishearterning so be prepared ahead of time to ignore them.

You might want to swim more than once per week. Your goal should be to crawl calmly for 500 meters. Don't worry about speed in the pool/OWS at this time. Swimming is often considered the least important part of a triathlon by decent swimmers, but us not so good swimmers know that's the toughest part of the race. The first step is to be able to comfortably cover the distance so we can enjoy it.

You could also switch to riding 3 times a week, weather permitting, and running twice. Most new triathletes run more and ride less, and it shows in their race performances.

Here are good sites for swimming style tips: www.swimsmooth.com and https://totalimmersion.net/

2014-02-21 7:33 AM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Expert
Falls Church

x2 on getting in more swimming.  Definitely more than once a week.  If it is not a pool swim, try to get in at least one open water swim before your race.  You'll feel alot more confident.

x2 on having fun!  

2014-02-21 9:02 AM

User image

New user
Howell, Michigan
I was in the same spot a couple of years ago. One thing I did, a few weeks before the race, I completed a couple of S/B/R workouts. I wasn't certain I could finish a race and it helped my confidence. Plus, it gave me a chance to practice my transitions which was helpful.

I'd echo the comments on the swim sighting. If you don't practice that, it's easy to turn a 500M swim into a 600M swim; done that.

Enjoy the experience.

2014-02-21 12:20 PM
in reply to: LJonesCPA

New user
Originally posted by LJonesCPA

One thing I did, a few weeks before the race, I completed a couple of S/B/R workouts. I wasn't certain I could finish a race and it helped my confidence. Plus, it gave me a chance to practice my transitions which was helpful.

Definitely double up some workouts and do a bike followed by a short run, or a swim followed by a bike. Running after a good ride is a bizarre feeling at first.
2014-02-23 6:52 AM
in reply to: #4952457

Ok, I will add more biking and swimming to my routine this week. Maybe I could try biking followed by a run Monday & Friday, swimming Tuesday & Thursday, followed by a run. Then use Wednesday to try all three events at a shorter distance and gradually build up. (Wednesday is normally my day off from work.)

Getting use to the feel of transitioning from one event to the next is definitely a concern. The first time I tried it I was a little dizzy. However, last week I swam and then went for a run and felt much better.

I'm sure I'll be one of the last ones in the overall race and that's ok. I'm doing this to challenge myself to see if I still got it. Lol. Thanks for encouraging me to have fun. I definitely want to enjoy the journey as well as the experience.
2014-02-23 10:04 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by angewinte

Ok, I will add more biking and swimming to my routine this week. Maybe I could try biking followed by a run Monday & Friday, swimming Tuesday & Thursday, followed by a run. Then use Wednesday to try all three events at a shorter distance and gradually build up. (Wednesday is normally my day off from work.)

Getting use to the feel of transitioning from one event to the next is definitely a concern. The first time I tried it I was a little dizzy. However, last week I swam and then went for a run and felt much better.

I'm sure I'll be one of the last ones in the overall race and that's ok. I'm doing this to challenge myself to see if I still got it. Lol. Thanks for encouraging me to have fun. I definitely want to enjoy the journey as well as the experience.

If you snoop around here you'll hear the word "brick" a lot. That's one sport directly followed by anotherm(bike then run, swim then bike, etc. ) While I think they are great and necessary to training, because your just getting started I don't think it is necessary to do 4 bricks a week like you mention here.

The last thing you want to do is burn yourself out or push too hard too soon and injure yourself. Really focus on the swim, especially if is open water. Cheers and good luck! I'm sure you'll have tons of fun and feel very proud crossing that finish line!
2014-02-26 3:53 AM
in reply to: #4954040

More Great Advice! Thank you so much. After reviewing the workout plans posted I've decided to go with the "Original Sprint" plan. I need lots of structure and I plan to balance it out with circuit training for overall tone. So far so good.
2014-02-26 2:18 PM

San Jose
I see a lot of great advice in this thread. A couple of points I might add:

- Keep your transition area simple, you don't have a lot of space so plan it out in your practices. I've seen people with stools, buckets, enough stuff to account for a full Ironman, let alone a sprint :-)

- Plan for the start, maybe stay off to the side of your wave in order to avoid the craziness. Also if panic sets in, try to stay calm, and clear your mind!

Remember that you are trying to finish and have fun!!!

2014-02-26 2:20 PM

User image

I did the same thing you did but two years ago. I also was a military guy so I thought I had a fairly good fitness background. Three pieces of advice.
1. Forget what you think you know about training, pick one of the sprint training plans on this site and follow it.
2. Do open water swims. I had been a lifeguard, scuba certified, military drown proofing regularly ect.. But when I got int the water for my race swim I almost quit do to a panic attack. Not the same type of swimming you have ever done.
3. As said before in this thread. ENJOY it. The people are all friendly and helpful
2014-02-26 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4955721

Forgetting what I thought I knew about training and getting back into shape is SO accurate. This is an entirely different type of program and I have to commit to it one day at a time.

As for panicking, I experienced that last week in the pool. I went to a different gym to spice it up. It started off fine until I left the shallow end and entered the deep end. This particular pool's design had an immediate drop off that caused me to panic. Once I made it to the wall I was able to gather my composure and finish the workout. Too funny. It was definitely a Youtube moment. Still smiling.
2014-02-26 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4956341

No injuries yet.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Tri in June Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Tri In June - Questions on Biking

Started by KJohns1
Views: 813 Posts: 9

2010-12-16 1:11 PM tenninstr

Planning My First Tri in June... Realistic?

Started by n.k
Views: 1104 Posts: 8

2010-03-16 2:48 PM carlwithac

First Tri in June...looking for a road bike

Started by hamiltks10
Views: 1142 Posts: 11

2008-04-14 4:05 PM hamiltks10

First Tri June 26th

Started by NewTri
Views: 572 Posts: 5

2004-06-16 4:54 PM rollinbones

First Tri on June 6th - Milton Ontario -Subaru Series

Started by qbtri
Views: 670 Posts: 1

2004-05-23 11:36 PM qbtri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.