General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carrying nutrition on the bike. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-04-01 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4973487

User image

Subject: RE: Carrying nutrition on the bike.
+1. I'm glad someone with more experience than me chimed in here that way maybe it would carry more weight. I see people at my races with so much stuff on their bikes. I can't imagine how much weight that adds plus what if some of it falls off. Would that derail your day.

For me the same applies to the run. Why strap 2 pounds worth of liquids and gels to your body? There unlimited nutrition every mile.

Imagine if a volunteer handed you a 5 pound dumbbell in bike transition and a 2 pound dumbbell in run transition. You would look at them like they were crazy.

I have all that stuff but it is for training. Training is unsupported so you have to be a pack mule.

2014-04-01 11:33 PM
in reply to: Calvin386

User image

, Jawa Barat
Sorry for another naive question here, but do the bottles you switch out fit into you cages on your bike? I am a poor guy and the thought of losing one of my water bottles every race sucks. No judging me!!
2014-04-01 11:55 PM
in reply to: JoshuaBlackburn

User image

Richland, Washington
They're not reusable water bottles.... they are just the single use bottle with a sport top. They fit pretty well depending on the cage you have. Mine is between the bars, so my arms help hold it in place.
2014-04-02 6:27 AM
in reply to: #4974719

User image

Yes the bottles will stay in your cages for the most part. They are not as snug as your regular water bottles that you use for training but they do fit in your cage.
2014-04-02 9:29 PM

User image

, Jawa Barat
Awesome. Thank you for the info. I apologize for the silly questions, but I have never done a long distance, or any, tri before and I don't want to completely screw up.
2014-04-02 9:53 PM
in reply to: JoshuaBlackburn

User image

Richland, Washington
No such thing as silly questions! We have all been there before

2014-04-09 12:46 PM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Originally posted by Swimaway

I have to say, it makes me laugh every time I see someone doing what I call the "camel.." they have 5 bottles on their bike, 20 gels hanging off the top tube, a child's lunch shoved in the bento box, enough tubes and c02 to change 10 tires, a change of socks shoved in their trisuit.... they are out to live for DAYS! Then, to top it all off, they're riding a cervelo p5 with a sub9 and an 808 to be more aero... Meanwhile, I cruise by with a single bottle between my bars and some flasks shoved in my suit waiting to swap my bottle for another at the next aid station.

Simplify your day! If you can drink Ironman perform, train with it so you can use it on the course saving bottles. If you can use GU shots, train with them so you can eat them on the course. Everyone is different, I understand, but the one thing I've learned after doing a half dozen full and another half dozen half irons, and growing up a competitive swimming (both long distance open water and confined to a pool) simplify simplify simplify.

x2. Very well said!!! I think, if at all possible, live off the course and get your calories and electrolytes from Powerbar Perform drink.
2014-04-11 8:47 AM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Add me to the live off the course chorus. Even for IM I too will roll out with a single bottle BTA and a few gels stashed somewhere: in the leg of my kit, etc. And those are there only if for some reason I miss a hand-up at an aid station. At aid stations I will often grab an extra gel even if I don't need one if it is easy enough just in case I miss one later. While I don't ever take advantage of special needs either, if you REALLY feel compelled to provide your own nutrition on the course then that would be a better option than the aero sacrifice you see so many folks taking with the contraptions they utilize for long course racing. Ultimately keep your plan absolutely as simple as possible, and don't junk up your bike. You seriously didn't spend all that money just to turn it into a transcontinental chuck wagon on race day!
2014-04-11 9:44 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I'm also going to echo the chorus of living off the course and packing minimally. My coach already has me training on course-only nutrition for IMWI - I think she owns stock in Gu and Powerbar. For IMWI, there's five or six bike aid stations in a two-loop course, so pretty much every 15 to 20 miles. Boulder's still new, but that spacing seems pretty typical for IM races.

My plan is just two water bottles and some gels in a jersey pocket, and reload on the course as necessary. I may add an aerobar mounted drink bottle, but nothing more than that.

There may be some white chocolate pretzels in special needs, but other than that, I'm living off the course.
2014-04-26 7:51 PM

New user

In terms of the nutrition, I tried to carry as little as I could, and switched my plan to accommodate that.

I had a bento box, and one water bottle, and then lived off the course.

In the bento box - had cliff blocks, and my salt pills and Nuun hydration tablets. Selected those because easy to fit into aero bottle, and track my intake.

In the water bottle - put my gels into the bottle and mixed with water.

Had a cage on the rear - to hold an extra bottle if needed.
2014-04-27 10:39 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20
Originally posted by lisac957

Lots of good suggestions. If you are doing liquid nutrition I would recommend the concentration method and NOT mixing as you go. I'm sure people have done that, but it seems to introduce a very unnecessary and risky element into your plan.

I mix two, 3-hour bottles of my Infinit mix and carry both with me (with a spare bottle of powder-only in Special Needs, for worst-case scenario only). My aero bottle is for water only and I fill up at each aid station. I also have a Bento box on my frame and put a few gels or chews to mix it up, a Payday candy bar, and a Mentos container with salt pills and ibuprofen. 

To summarize - options:

Liquid nutrition concentration
Bento box
Jersey/shorts pockets
Live or suppliement off the course

Lisa,How many scoops did you put in each bottle to make a 3 hr mix? For my custom blend, they say 2 scoops per hour so (6) for a 3hr bottle? I tried it once in training and I could not get it to mix at all, just seemed to much powder and every time I sipped, I could feel the powder and got this gritty taste in my mouth and it was ultra sweet. How long did it take you to play around with this before you got it right? I would like to make concentrated bottles for my IM but I think I will have to make 4 2hr bottles and switch out at SN. Did you experience any of the same things I did with the concentrated bottles?
I'm in the 3-hour Infinit bottle camp as well. Created a weak flavor formula (slider as far left as possible on their site) to minimize the sweetness. Use 6 scoops per bottle and shake well. Never have had a problem with it dissolving, and the flavor isn't overpowering. I mark the water bottle in thirds to help judge how much I've consumed and take some in every 15 minutes. Lately I've started replacing the 'on the hour' feeding with a third of a Payday bar to get a little solid food in for a change and to have a salty flavored snack. For me, this is working great. I was going to try and live more off the course for my July full, but the on-course drink is Gatorade endurance and it is way too flavored and sweet to me - much moreso than my 3-hour Infinite bottles.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carrying nutrition on the bike. Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Carrying bottles of Nutrition on Bike – Pages: 1 2

Started by eburg
Views: 2490 Posts: 33

2009-10-08 7:45 AM Marvarnett

How many bottles to carry on bike during IM Pages: 1 2

Started by triwor
Views: 3311 Posts: 45

2008-11-04 3:17 PM Daremo

nutrition on bike

Started by robn515
Views: 1775 Posts: 21

2006-09-07 1:22 PM suffer78

50+ mike bike - need nutrition advice

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1408 Posts: 11

2006-03-15 10:01 AM autumn

Picture of guy carrying his bike at Kona?

Started by pds0006
Views: 2577 Posts: 14

2005-11-03 8:13 AM pds0006
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 8, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Top experts in triathlon nutrition answer your common training and race day nutrition questions.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : August 20, 2008
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.
date : August 17, 2007
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.

date : October 10, 2004
author : BrianPBN
So far the taper is feeling good and I'm getting that itchy feeling to race. I know this will grow even stronger when I get to the island and see my friends and PBN Team members.  
date : October 3, 2004
author : BrianPBN
Definitely glad this weekend is out of the way as 145 miles of cycling and 27 miles of running in two days is a fair amount.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.