Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Milwaukee, Wisconsin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-21 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI
Subject: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Helloooooo Milwaukeeans! (Is that right?)

I've been interviewing recently with a firm in downtown Milwaukee and things have been going really well. I believe a relocation package may be a part of the offer so I wanted to start getting a feel for your fair city, since I've never been.

Namely, what are some good areas to look for housing (buy or rent) and what are some areas to avoid. My wife and I would lean more toward the cool, eclectic, hip, artsy areas. Close to water gets bonus points

Also, I've heard it's a fairly bike-friendly city. true or false?

Thanks for any and all details you can provide!

2014-02-21 3:44 PM
in reply to: gir1with1nose

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Milwaukee, Wisconsin

My middle son lives in Milwaukee.  "Bike Friendly" probably depends on where you are and where you are going.  It has been my experience that drivers are polite enough, but that is from walking/driving not riding, and it has only been a few times visiting him. 

He lived in an attic apartment on N. Oakland (North of U of W Milkwaukee) that was pretty rough, but only 6-8 blocks from the lake and some of the surrounding areas seemed nice enough. 

2014-02-21 9:29 PM

User image

Master
MidWest

One of my sons also lives in Milwaukee and I have had a great time visiting with him.  Like McFuzz stated, that area around UWM is a little rough but that can be because of the students that live off campus and their lifestyles.  There is a path that runs along the lake that is frequented by runners, walkers, skateboarders, roller bladers, and bicyclists.  They all seem to coexist quite well.  The roads are pretty well maintained ( I have run on them in both places that he has lived).  There are plenty of parks that have trails to hike or run (if you like trail running) or just experience.  There is always something to do there, especially during the summers.  I try to go up 3-4 times a summer and a few more during the winter.  I signed up for my first full marathon in October and it will be in Milwaukee.  

Enjoy the journey!

2014-02-24 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Originally posted by gir1with1nose Helloooooo Milwaukeeans! (Is that right?) I've been interviewing recently with a firm in downtown Milwaukee and things have been going really well. I believe a relocation package may be a part of the offer so I wanted to start getting a feel for your fair city, since I've never been. Namely, what are some good areas to look for housing (buy or rent) and what are some areas to avoid. My wife and I would lean more toward the cool, eclectic, hip, artsy areas. Close to water gets bonus points Also, I've heard it's a fairly bike-friendly city. true or false? Thanks for any and all details you can provide!

Okay.  Lived in Suburpia around MIlwaukee my whole life.  Lots of good areas and bad areas to live.  You mention eclectic, hip, artsy areas, so I would certainly recommend the cool Third Ward area (just south of downtown).  It's got everything from restaurants to night life to the lake and just a cool vibe down there.  Downtown condo living has become popular and various pockets (closer to the lake) are pretty cool as well.  I don't know if I'd call the city a bike friendly one, but definitely not unfriendly.  The terrain around the city is relatively flat and boring, but I do know there is tons of great riding (with hills) once you get a bit outside of the city.  Overall it's a great place to live with the feel and amenities of a bigger city, but not all the irritations (traffic, congestion, smog).

2014-02-24 2:51 PM
in reply to: sbsmann

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
sbsmann said it pretty well. I live in the west suburbs now after living in the north shore for a decade. Milwaukee is a fantastic place to live and raise a family. Excellent biking north from downtown. If you do end up buying I'm a mortgage guy and I can also recommend a realtor who is a triathlete.
2014-02-24 5:19 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
You might get a better response on the local thread:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?...

FWIW, I went to Marquette, you probably don't want to live in the area around either Marquette or UWM. The city is a wonderful place, it's got a bad reputation sometimes, but those of us who live or have lived there know it's a really wonderful city. If I could do my job there I would much rather live there than Chicago.

2014-02-24 5:21 PM
in reply to: PeterAK

User image

Master
Beijing

I don't know much about Milwaukee, but this guy does

2014-02-26 9:12 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI
Moondawg, excellent, party time link!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I think we have a few areas to check out when we do head over like Bay View, North Point, maybe Shorewood and of course, the Third Ward.

I'll also post up in the Wisconsin forum.

Thanks again everyone!
2014-02-27 12:33 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Originally posted by moondawg14

I don't know much about Milwaukee, but this guy does

I was so thinking this was going to be Fonzi.  Slightly disappointed, but still entertained.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Milwaukee, Wisconsin Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USAT Nationals in Milwaukee Pages: 1 2

Started by otter68
Views: 3066 Posts: 45

2013-08-15 7:35 PM Ershk

Snack Time in Wisconsin

Started by scoobysdad
Views: 820 Posts: 8

2009-05-13 5:57 PM maverick_zh

Can you find the Girl from Wisconsin? Pages: 1 2

Started by 1st Timer in NY
Views: 1566 Posts: 31

2007-10-09 7:13 AM Whizzzzz

Only in Wisconsin

Started by Matchman
Views: 698 Posts: 11

2007-08-30 3:25 PM hangloose

Wisconsin gourmands, rejoice!!!

Started by FishrCutB8
Views: 512 Posts: 9

2007-05-16 8:09 AM KenyonTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.

date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?
date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.