Tupelo Multisport
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m
Overall Rank = 97/143
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early (0430) and drove to event. Drank a cappuccino on the way, ate a small whole-grain bagel with peanut butter.
Event warmup:

Some quiet time. I planned on getting in the water for a bit, but I ran short of time and I didn't feel nervous about swimming this time.
Swim
  • 24m 19s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had a good time in the water, but this was my first wave start and I had trouble getting away from people. After I rounded the second buoy, I got kicked pretty hard in the eye and my goggles came off. I went under a little bit trying to get them back on, then it took a minute to get back on course. The waves were probably not that bad, but it felt like they were, so I was only able to breathe well on one side, which I'm sure hurt my time, too.
What would you do differently?:

Not much... I need to practice getting away from people in the water. Other than that, I'll just keep putting in the yards and hopefully keep making speed gains (I can't go any slower).
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Everything normal here... no surprises.

I keep saying that I need to practice mounting the bike with shoes attached to the pedals, but I never do. I plan to change that now.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 48s
  • 22 miles
  • 19.19 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a pretty good bike course. There were some fun descents, good climbs, and some pretty flat fast sections. My max speed was just over 37mph, my average was right at 20mph, and I was able to keep spinning over most of the hills. I found a really comfortable aero position and was able to hold it most of the course. On the downside, I lost a couple of minutes airing up my front tire twice (which brought down my official avg speed: my actual riding time was 1:05:58), and I rode in the last few miles with it pretty soft. I'm not unhappy with the ride at all... it was my fastest pace this season.

I should have changed the front tube before the race. When I aired it up in the morning, it was softer than it should have been after sitting around for a day. Live and learn, huh?
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I somehow lost my race belt and had to borrow safety pins. Funny, I didn't look in the goodie bag until after the race, but it included a freebie race belt that I could have used. Had a good laugh with my wife over that one.

Keep better track of my stuff. Oh, and check out the goodie bag to see if there's anything I might need for the event.
Run
  • 29m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I honestly don't know how I kept sub-30 minutes. I felt like I was overheating the whole time, and I took several walk breaks. I didn't really hurt, but it was hard to keep good form.

I need to get in some longer runs. I've been so bike and swim focused that my running's been getting the shaft. If my wife has her way I'll be doing a few half-marys over the winter... that should speed me up some in the 5k.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold wet towel on the head, bottle of water, walking around in lots of little circles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. This was the 4th tri of my first season, so I'm pretty happy with my progress so far.

Event comments:

This was a fun tri. If they have it again next year I'll definitely be signing up.

Last updated: 2006-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:19 | 880 yards | 02m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/17
Overall: 130/143
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Trisuit
Course: Very long rectangle, clockwise swim
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:08
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:48 | 22 miles | 19.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 73/143
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Clockwise loop around the park
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:20 | 03.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/17
Overall: 95/143
Course: Out-and-back loop through the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes