General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Fenix 2, better than 910xt? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-05-15 9:04 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

Subject: RE: Garmin Fenix 2, better than 910xt?
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by abbattoir

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Found this nice comparison builder feature on the DC website.

Link is for a comparison between the 910, Fenix 2 and Ambit 2. But you can add or subtract as well.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator?type=watch&ids=27679%2C3086%2C11376#results

Thanks. I just ordered the Ambit 2 s. Should have it by Friday. It was $288.

Awesome, hope it works out for you. 

I have been getting no work done today, been reading and watching reviews on the various options. I think I am going to go with Suunto as well. Too many reports of the Fenix crashing. Saw lots of reports of the original fenix crashing and apparently they still haven't fixed it for the Fenix 2. At the end of the day I can live without bluetooth (apparently kills the battery so would only use it for uploading workouts anyway), running metrics, parachute mode, and geo caching. I would rather have something that just works and does it fast. Apparently the Fenix suffers load times as well.

I want the better battery, barometer and temp sensor so I am going to go with the Ambit2, just have to decide if the sapphire is worth it or not. Ambit2 will be $375 from REI next week, the sapphire takes it to $450. 

Post up a review when you get your new watch!

How do you know it will be in sale at rei? If true that's awesome. Was holding out for fenix 2 but haven't been impressed so am leaning towards suunto. Really want vibration alerts but think I can live without them. Plus if I buy from rei with membership I can return it if the ambit 3 comes out soon.

I received an REI catalog in the mail last week, anniversary sale announcement. There is a coupon for 20% off one full price item. On page 3 or 4 of the catalog it says all Suunto watches will be 25% off. The sale goes 5/16 thru 5/26. 

As I posted earlier my wife called to see if I could use the 20% off coupon on a Fenix 2 and the woman she talked to said the coupon would not work for "GPS enabled devices". So that makes the Fenix 2 $450 and the Suunto Ambit2 Sapphire $450. Think I will go with the Sapphire. With the 25% off and the dividend on top of that, plus the added peace of mind of the REI return policy if the Suunto warranty is no good, I think the Sapphire will be a pretty good deal.

I thought about waiting to see if a new Ambit was going to come out this year. But it appears Suunto has a pattern of releasing in April/May. The released the Ambit2 R this April so I am guessing that will be it for this year. It really doesn't make sense for them to release something in the late summer or fall, so I think it will be at least a year before we see another Ambit.

Looking forward to the review Brian!

Gotcha. Got their sale catalog but hadn't even looked. That might be too tempting to pass up on.

2014-05-15 1:30 PM
in reply to: Khyron

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Khyron I have had the Fenix2 since release and it's screwed me a few times. In the middle of a HM race it went nuts and said I was running 20km/hr, stuck me in the lake, etc. I had to hard reset it while running, and start over at the 10k marker. The pace DISPLAY lags way more than it should. The data is correct when I look later, but by the time the pace shows my interval pace the interval is over. Another time, the display froze, so I reset it again - later noticed it was still recording just display locked up. That said, I'm wearing it right now - I do like it, just suffering through the garmin-1st-year-firmware crap. I'd really give the Ambit a look. I ignored it because I didn't know it was ANT+ which is what I need for my power meter.

I've had similar tracking issues with the Fenix 2....I'm just about ready to do a replacement through Garmin support.

2014-05-16 1:56 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pro

FEDEX came after I left work, so I am setting up the watch now. Battery was completely dead, so I will need to let it charge before heading to the pool for a late lunchtime swim. First thoughts are that it is a very nice looking watch and I am definitely a fan of the round face. I *think* I've configured it the way I want, but we will see. You have to use the Movescount website to configure the watch, which is both better and worse. It's better in that you do it on a large screen with the mouse, it's worse if I have it wrong as you can't change it while away from the computer. Like any other multifunction watch, it takes some learning regarding what buttons do what.

I can't make sense of my first swim. It appears to track distance very accurately, but the laps are all messed up. I should have just let it count all the laps. The first few are perfect, but then I got into my drills and it's a mess. Clearly I paused it or manually inserted laps incorrectly. I need to read the manual! Tomorrow I'm doing a brick workout, and Sunday OWS. Hopefully I can figure it out by Monday!

2014-05-16 2:01 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Master
Salt Lake City

FEDEX came after I left work, so I am setting up the watch now. Battery was completely dead, so I will need to let it charge before heading to the pool for a late lunchtime swim. First thoughts are that it is a very nice looking watch and I am definitely a fan of the round face. I *think* I've configured it the way I want, but we will see. You have to use the Movescount website to configure the watch, which is both better and worse. It's better in that you do it on a large screen with the mouse, it's worse if I have it wrong as you can't change it while away from the computer. Like any other multifunction watch, it takes some learning regarding what buttons do what.

I can't make sense of my first swim. It appears to track distance very accurately, but the laps are all messed up. I should have just let it count all the laps. The first few are perfect, but then I got into my drills and it's a mess. Clearly I paused it or manually inserted laps incorrectly. I need to read the manual! Tomorrow I'm doing a brick workout, and Sunday OWS. Hopefully I can figure it out by Monday!

I have never used movescount... The watch is completely configurable using the on screen menus.

I have also had rotten results from the indoor swim functions of the watch. It measures my warmup perfectly, then seems to go progressively more and more haywire as I go on with my workout. I haven't had time to play with the settings to see if I can arrive at something a bit more accurate.

Aside from general swim issues, and the tracking clipping a few curves on my runs I've been nothing but pleased with the Fenix 2 and its features.
2014-05-16 2:16 PM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JZig

I have never used movescount... The watch is completely configurable using the on screen menus. I have also had rotten results from the indoor swim functions of the watch. It measures my warmup perfectly, then seems to go progressively more and more haywire as I go on with my workout. I haven't had time to play with the settings to see if I can arrive at something a bit more accurate. Aside from general swim issues, and the tracking clipping a few curves on my runs I've been nothing but pleased with the Fenix 2 and its features.

My swim coach was the lifeguard at the pool today, which didn't help. She smiled and handed me a workout.

I wish the manual did a better job of explaining the different modes available. For sure it worked fine when I was just swimming laps, but then it got very confused (or maybe I did) when I finished my warm up and started with kicking, pull, and speed drills.

2014-05-16 3:04 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
I'm thinking I'll try just using the watch to passively track as I swim and do my workout the way I always have using the clock and the workout written on paper. Using the start/stop on the watch, especially with 25m intervals seemed to really throw the watch for a loop as did my kick set. Everything else seemed at least reasonably close.

On the plus side, the Fenix seems to think I'm Michael phelps, adding in about 500m to my workout and significantly improving my swim speed in the process.

2014-05-16 3:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I've had near perfect indoor swim performance from my Ambit2.  Even when i've missed the wall on a flip turn.  it maybe misses one lap out of 100.

Firstly- put it in Swim mode, hold down the 'next' button, >Swimming >Teach Swimming.  Swim a lap of each stroke and it will teach the watch your strokes.  (don't worry, if you've started the move, it will include those laps in your swimming total- so, it stays as part of your workout.  This definitely improves the accuracy.

The second tip:  Start the move- and then don't touch the start/stop or lap button for the rest of your swim.  you can switch screens or view variables (the bottom display), but there's no need to start/stop or indicate sets or laps.   the watch does all that for you.  

go to movescount and set up what you want to display.  Use the "interval" variables as your set info.  I've got the total workout distance fixed on the top display, then my interval (set) distance large and in the middle. (it never ceases to amaze me how often I think I've done 200 yards, when I've only done 150), and then on the bottom, I'll have rest time displayed.  (or interval pace, or interval duration... depending on my mood).  The middle display is big and clear, and that's the one that you'll want to use to see while you're swimming.  Generally after you come off the wall, and before you take your first stroke.

After you finish your 'set'.   it will take the Ambit about 5 seconds to figure out that you stopped swimming.  At which point it will tell you your set time/pace/rest time, etc from the time that you stopped.  It will subtract off the amount of time the watch took to figure out that you stopped- so don't worry about that.

The watch is great.  How movescount displays swim data... well, that pretty much sux.  You'd think it would give you all your set times, distances and paces- but instead it gives you a line for every lap, and a line for every rest, and I don't know what else.  it's a general mess.

Oh- for 'drills'.  Kicks and stuff that might not register if you're not moving your arm- hit the 'next' button > swimming > drill.  At which point you can manually put in the number of drill laps you did or are doing.  

Edited by morey000 2014-05-16 3:15 PM
2014-05-16 3:24 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro

Originally posted by morey000

I've had near perfect indoor swim performance from my Ambit2.  Even when i've missed the wall on a flip turn.  it maybe misses one lap out of 100.

Firstly- put it in Swim mode, hold down the 'next' button, >Swimming >Teach Swimming.  Swim a lap of each stroke and it will teach the watch your strokes.  (don't worry, if you've started the move, it will include those laps in your swimming total- so, it stays as part of your workout.  This definitely improves the accuracy.

The second tip:  Start the move- and then don't touch the start/stop or lap button for the rest of your swim.  you can switch screens or view variables (the bottom display), but there's no need to start/stop or indicate sets or laps.   the watch does all that for you.  

go to movescount and set up what you want to display.  Use the "interval" variables as your set info.  I've got the total workout distance fixed on the top display, then my interval (set) distance large and in the middle. (it never ceases to amaze me how often I think I've done 200 yards, when I've only done 150), and then on the bottom, I'll have rest time displayed.  (or interval pace, or interval duration... depending on my mood).  The middle display is big and clear, and that's the one that you'll want to use to see while you're swimming.  Generally after you come off the wall, and before you take your first stroke.

After you finish your 'set'.   it will take the Ambit about 5 seconds to figure out that you stopped swimming.  At which point it will tell you your set time/pace/rest time, etc from the time that you stopped.  It will subtract off the amount of time the watch took to figure out that you stopped- so don't worry about that.

The watch is great.  How movescount displays swim data... well, that pretty much sux.  You'd think it would give you all your set times, distances and paces- but instead it gives you a line for every lap, and a line for every rest, and I don't know what else.  it's a general mess.

Oh- for 'drills'.  Kicks and stuff that might not register if you're not moving your arm- hit the 'next' button > swimming > drill.  At which point you can manually put in the number of drill laps you did or are doing.  

Thanks a ton.You just saved me hours of figuring all that out.

I was also frustrated with the transition issue for Triathlon, but found out it just took a reset after updating to the new firmware, and voila! Just created a bike/transition/run multisport for tomorrow's brick workout.

2014-05-19 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Get any further chance to use your new watch over the weekend Brian?

I went to REI yesterday to check out the Ambit2 and the Fenix 2. Fit and finish seemed to be a bit better on the Ambit. However it does have a pre-curve to it's strap, so while it fit fine on my wrist, it did not fit my wife very well. 

They didn't have the Sapphire in stock so I will have to order, will probably do that today.

2014-05-19 2:51 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Haymarket, VA

I didn't see it mentioned here, but another thing to consider with the Fenix 2 is that it won't work for a pool swim tri.  The only option for the swim in it's multisport mode is open water.

2014-05-19 3:54 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Well I just hit the button. Get that queasy feeling dropping a bunch of cash on a "not-completely-essential-but-i-really-want-it" item. Went for the Ambit2 Sapphire. Good deal at $450 with the REI sale this week. Should have it by Friday they say. Looking forward to trying it out on my 109 mile ride this Saturday.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Fenix 2, better than 910xt? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Best price for Garmin 910xt

Started by jkintn
Views: 4083 Posts: 13

2012-04-26 9:16 PM mborb

Garmin 910XT purchased through heartmonitors.com -- Ship date

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 4729 Posts: 23

2012-03-05 1:17 PM b.will

Anyone try the Garmin 910XT

Started by Wesley12
Views: 3350 Posts: 13

2011-12-07 1:20 PM GaryRM

First Look: Garmin 910XT Pages: 1 2

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 8209 Posts: 47

2011-11-02 12:29 PM mjewen

Garmin 910xt released today Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by abqtj
Views: 25344 Posts: 93

2011-11-27 7:57 AM curlylk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech
date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : December 7, 2006
author : Ontherun
"Finding triathlon has probably saved my life." A late bloomer shares some of his journeys on becoming a 4rth year triathlete.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.