View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Monona, Wisconsin
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Afternoon meet, so mostly just hung out all morning.
Event warmup:

Was at the pool early. Interesting design, infinity edge like as the water level came right to the floor surface with some spillover grating in place. Got in a few laps, not sure how much, but guessing near 800. Started easy, worked into opening up the length and then some quick fast things. Had been sick the few days prior so wasn't sure how things would go. Able to get to where things felt technically fine (stroke count was ok), but really wasn't sure about speed.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1000 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

The 200 free was my first event and the first event of the day. Heat 4 of 5. Seed time of 2:15 was based off of the 200 scm a couple months ago and looking to improve slightly. Training had gone backwards since making the estimate and also being sick. Still thought I'd give it a shot as the couple practices before had seen a noticeable upturn even though not back to where I was before. Lane next to me had the same seed, so thought it would be a good match-up. Went out fairly quick in the first 50, but not all in, staying with the next lane. Similar to the previous race. Messed up the timing pad on the return, not used to how much those slide after the grip of the wall. Still holding ok. Past 75, however, things really went downhill. Body was screaming for energy, but not like normal fatigue in a set. Hung on what I could, but the field just pulled well away. Really could have used a solid workout before the meet to get it back, but there was no chance for that. Saw later that the next lane went 2:18 and split very much like I had hoped to, so it could have worked very well for me.

200 Free: 2:26.81

I had planned to be in the 500 free (last event of the day), but after how the 200 went decided to drop it. Wouldn't tell me anything as aerobic system wasn't with it. I had put in for a 50 fly and went ahead with that due to how short is it. Felt fine the first part of the 200. Had actually entered in to the 50 free with the understanding I'd do fly. Free means any stroke, not just front crawl. The timing had been better for my original schedule as the actual fly event was close to the 500.

Loosened up a little for this event, but not much. Didn't feel like I needed to. Had seeded :34. Best guess from some things in practice, but had never timed a 50 fly before. Had the center lane on this one too, not helping with just wanting to be there, but oh well. Dove in and surfaced up near the middle of the pool, normal for me. Needed a pair of kicks to get back to the surface with a little momentum as timing of the dive isn't quite honed in yet. First wall comes so soon when going off the blocks. So much less to swim. Hit the open turn much more instinctively than I have in the past. Used momentum much better. Did what I could holding the lead on the return, neighbor had a similar seed. Form felt ok so far as I could tell, things just going automatically. Recovery was going very well, getting arms around quite easily, usually a difficulty. Wasn't sure on power, but just got done with it. First time out don't do too much at once. Felt fine at the finish, a bit more energy than I'm used to having after fly, so probably could have gone harder. But got my first one in the books with this stroke.

50 Fly: :33.06
What would you do differently?:

Don't know how to not ever get sick. It happens.

Did pick up some more valuable meet experience. Think it's good to do from time to time. There are lots and lots of things to do in becoming a better swimmer. Getting into a meet really puts everything out there. Those little details are all highlighted. Really helps to step up the focus in training, swimming is just on a whole other level than other sports we're used to. Learning those details will help training and to translate into tri swimming and other multi-sports.
Post race

Last updated: 2014-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1000 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-02-24 12:29 PM

Master
Northern IL
Subject: Wisconsin Monona Grove HS SCY

2014-02-24 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4954707

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Wisconsin Monona Grove HS SCY

I keep reading the race name as groovy

Less swimming with the blocks, eh? I like the sound of that!

Solid work, given the context. I love the way you use these meets as a tool for improvement, mad respect Groovy, even!

2014-02-24 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Getting back into going hard after being sick just sucks, but it looks like you were able to pull it together pretty nicely.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the swimming and meets and everything....you're inspiring me to give it a shot in the near future.

2014-02-24 1:47 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I keep reading the race name as groovy

Less swimming with the blocks, eh? I like the sound of that!

Solid work, given the context. I love the way you use these meets as a tool for improvement, mad respect Groovy, even!

Of course you would.

2014-02-24 1:50 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Getting back into going hard after being sick just sucks, but it looks like you were able to pull it together pretty nicely.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the swimming and meets and everything....you're inspiring me to give it a shot in the near future.

It'll probably be rather nerve wracking the first time through, but if you can get over that they can help to grab hold and take charge of things.

2014-02-25 11:08 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nice job, especially given the recovery from illness.

2014-02-28 6:57 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-03-03 10:11 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Pennsylvania

Speedy, speedy boy!  Congrats on being very close or better than your seed times.  Just live in a bubble and you won't get sick.  Kidding! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wisconsin Monona Grove HS SCY Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Monona 20K

Started by eazyc10
Views: 667 Posts: 1

2013-05-31 4:20 PM eazyc10

Lake Monona 20K

Started by ghoffman
Views: 1050 Posts: 2

2010-05-02 6:05 AM SSMinnow

Lake Monona 20K

Started by ghoffman
Views: 780 Posts: 1

2009-12-01 7:58 AM ghoffman

Lake Monona 20K

Started by retiretotri
Views: 1464 Posts: 3

2009-05-02 5:54 PM aarondavidson

Clovis Swim Club & Fig Garden Masters SCY Meet

Started by nevergivin
Views: 1521 Posts: 1

2008-11-09 3:03 AM nevergivin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.

date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?
date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.