SLC Track Club
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 10h 00m
Overall Rank = /321
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/15
Pre-race routine:

Trying my best to consider this one a "pre season fitness test" which essentially means I'm attempting to not take the race too seriously...

Woke up at a reasonable hour (10:00am start time FTW!) Dropped my wife off at Yoga and went out and race day registered.
Event warmup:

Ran around a bit. Did lots of strides to something resembling race pace. Morning was chillier than I had expected based on weather reports, but still very nice by February in Utah Standards. Eventually settled on running in shorts, my PI jacket, light beanie and my gloves which I pocketed after the halfway point. Probably could have done without the gloves or hat, but I wasn't exactly overheating with them either.

Made it to the start line with about 5 minutes to spare, and the gun went off when I was chatting with friends... oops. I had meant to work my way closer to the front, but no big deal.
Run
  • 1h 04m 28s
  • 9.33 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall. I can't help but be disappointed. I felt like I moved backwards the entire race, although things settled out after about the 4 mile marker and I just slowly lost contact with the group of 4 I had been running with.

Eventually a young kid and I ended up running together for most of the second half. He stuck on my shoulder until about a mile out and took off on me toward the end.

Gun time ended up being 1:04:34. Time on my watch was 1:04:28. I didn't realize timing would be gun start/chip finish or I would have been closer to the starting line. No biggie though.

I was really hoping I had about 1:03:00 or even faster in me. As it stands it looks like I've got a lot of work ahead of me if I want to pull off a sub 20:00 5K off the bike this year... It also looks like I'm actually just a touch BEHIND where I was after my peak last year which is VERY disappointing to me.
What would you do differently?:

Pacing was a bit shaky, but not a disaster by any means. I just didn't have the fitness I wanted to have/thought I had going in. Lots of good pacing
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't have the energy for much. Walked around, sipped gatorade and coffee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness.

Event comments:

Good race. No frills, but none were expected. Everything was well organized, on time and went smoothly.

Last updated: 2014-02-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:04:28 | 9.33 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 15/321
Performance: Below average
No garmin, but I know I went out a little fast knocking my first mile out in 6:40. I felt fine, but immediately started paying the mental price as this set me up for a long day of going backwards in the field.
Course: Flat, Straight. Almost no wind.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-02-24 5:49 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: SLC Track Club Winter Series 15K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SLC Track Club Winter Series 15K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gulf Winds Track Club 15k/30k

Started by dpeeples
Views: 1173 Posts: 1

2009-01-17 9:28 AM dpeeples

Orange Runners Club Winter Series #2 5K

Started by amschrod
Views: 1262 Posts: 3

2008-02-01 11:52 AM Kam32

Orange Runners Club Winter Series #4 5K

Started by amschrod
Views: 810 Posts: 2

2007-02-26 1:26 PM kelpeng

Orange Runners Club Winter Series #2 5K

Started by amschrod
Views: 999 Posts: 1

2007-01-29 3:22 PM amschrod

Orange Runners Club Winter Series #1 5K

Started by amschrod
Views: 778 Posts: 1

2007-01-15 8:50 AM amschrod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : September 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
The pros and cons of training with a group or training partner

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : October 17, 2004
author : mbologna
One way to improve your speed is to do track work that totals the time and distance goal. The idea is to slowly condition your body to be comfortable at your goal pace.