General Discussion Triathlon Talk » After work out vegan protein option ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-25 2:08 AM

Veteran
Subject: After work out vegan protein option ?
Hi

My coach has suggested i get protein in me after training ideally with a protein shake ? But what is a good vegan option ? Sorry new to this vegan thing
Any suggestions ?

2014-02-25 6:47 AM
in reply to: Bigdave001

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: After work out vegan protein option ?
Not a vegan but can't tolerate milk or milk-based recovery drinks (the whole chocolate milk/recovery thing cracks me up--I would just feel really sick!), so some experience with this. You can make smoothies and shakes with any kind of milk--soy and almond tend to blend well. You could add nut butters for extra protein. If it doesn't have to be a shake, there are plenty of foods that combine protein and simple carbs for recovery. My favorite post-workout snack is whole wheat toast with peanut butter and sliced bananas.
2014-02-25 7:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Originally posted by Bigdave001

Hi

My coach has suggested i get protein in me after training ideally with a protein shake ? But what is a good vegan option ? Sorry new to this vegan thing
Any suggestions ?
http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Life-Super-Vanilla-2-18-Pounds/dp/B0054QBAHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393335827&sr=8-1&keywords=soy+96+super+green I have tried them all! This one is the tastiest and least sugary content. Also, it's non-gmo. I drink it with vanilla rice milk from Rice Dream, usually. I have also used it with the Silk chocolate light soy. I've been vegan for quite some time now. If you need any other help, feel free to inbox me.

Edited by todds 2014-02-25 7:49 AM
2014-02-25 9:49 AM

New user
Key West
Originally posted by Bigdave001

Hi

Any suggestions ?

I add Hemp protein powder and Chia seeds to my smoothy and use Almond Milk, fruit, etc. as a base. I have seen recommendations to also add spirulina, pea protein powder, and brown rice powder to round out your amino acids. I will eventually do that, I just have to get around to ordering it since I can't find it in my little island. As an aside, I am now staying away from any "unfermented" soy product, like soy milk, and honestly feel a little better since I have done that. So, just the fermented soy now, like tempeh, soy sauce, miso. Almond milk is not a great source of protein, like Soy milk is, but it is a really good source of calcium and you can get your necessary protein from other sources.
2014-02-25 12:01 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Have you seen/tried the Vega brand of shakes? This would be a good option if you're looking for something easy.
Vega was founded by vegan (former pro) triathlete Brendan Brazier.

2014-02-25 4:01 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Veteran
Originally posted by lisac957

Have you seen/tried the Vega brand of shakes? This would be a good option if you're looking for something easy.
Vega was founded by vegan (former pro) triathlete Brendan Brazier.

not sure you can get them here

2014-03-25 9:04 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
Do you have a good blender?

My post workout blend...

1 cup blueberries
1/2 beet + beet greens
2 kale leafs
2 stalks celery
1 cup acai
2 cups coconut water
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 squirt flax or hemp oil
1 squirt Vega EFA Oil
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/3 cup raw almonds
1 tbsp spirulina / phytoplankton
1/2 scoop Vega Sport Protein
1/2 scoop hemp protein
1/2 scoop brown rice protein
1/2 scoop pea protein
2014-03-28 11:53 AM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

I'll often just do a couple cups of soy/almond milk plus some Amazing Grass greens supplement. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » After work out vegan protein option ? Rss Feed