General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why DONT you have a coach? (please vote) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

Why DONT you have a coach? (please vote)
OptionResults
I'd like one but it's too expensive87 Votes - [53.37%]
What do I need a coach for?31 Votes - [19.02%]
I enjoy writing my own plans23 Votes - [14.11%]
I use a pre-made plan12 Votes - [7.36%]
I use a custom training plan but not a coach (like BT Gold)3 Votes - [1.84%]
Coaches are dumb7 Votes - [4.29%]

2014-02-25 7:07 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Subject: RE: Why DONT you have a coach? (please vote)
Good personal coaching would cost more than I am willing to pay.

I've seen too many people with coaches doing things I wouldn't want to do or that I think puts them at risk.

2014-02-25 7:21 PM
in reply to: #4955099

Spring/Woodlands Area
Couldn't vote on my phone...for me it's a combination of expense and I've got the expertise, so why pay someone else to do it? I do think it is key for self-coached athletes to educate themselves adequately for their current or desired level of competition, including at least rudimentary exercise physiology to be able to sort through the crap. Optimizing results is much more difficult than people realize.
2014-02-25 9:41 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by msteiner

The engineer in me enjoys learning the technical components to developing a training plan.  Figuring out what makes me faster and more effective in training is part of the fun.

^^^ This.

Except I'm not an engineer. So I break more easily.
2014-02-25 10:18 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Seattle
One more thing I thought of - I'm relatively new and might have a difficult time distinguishing the value in coaching vs natural progression in my abilities. Perhaps it would be better when experiencing a plateau?
2014-02-25 11:16 PM
in reply to: apglave

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by apglave

Couldn't vote on my phone...for me it's a combination of expense and I've got the expertise, so why pay someone else to do it? I do think it is key for self-coached athletes to educate themselves adequately for their current or desired level of competition, including at least rudimentary exercise physiology to be able to sort through the crap. Optimizing results is much more difficult than people realize.

I agree Page
2014-02-26 6:24 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Originally posted by DanielG I tried to add my own and it wouldn't let me. I'm in this for fun and not all that interested in a coach.

Same for me. I'm doing triathlons for fun, to get fit and to stay fit. I'm just aiming to finish, and to beat my own previous results. I use pre-made plans and I just do my best with them

2014-02-26 8:23 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Originally posted by Asalzwed

One more thing I thought of - I'm relatively new and might have a difficult time distinguishing the value in coaching vs natural progression in my abilities. Perhaps it would be better when experiencing a plateau?

This is one of my reasons. I keep getting faster doing what I am doing, so I'll just keep doing that for now. I generally PR in just about every race I enter. I guess I could get "faster faster," but my current progression includes a significant amount of learning, and I for now, I don't want a coach doing all my thinking for me, I want to do some of my own thinking.

Expense is also partially an issue, I don't have "everything" gear wise, but am getting where I want to be, so once I level off and just have to replace a few things here and there, I will have more to spend. That said, as I get more into the sport, I am finding that I am spending more on race fees and travel/lodging expenses, so who knows.

I absolutely see myself getting a coach in the not so distant future though. Through this site I am learning the value of good coaching. I am part of a mentor group right now, learning a great deal, and discovering the value of focused training and guidance that a coach can provide. And this is just in a group setting.
2014-02-26 8:26 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by jennifer_runs Good personal coaching would cost more than I am willing to pay. I've seen too many people with coaches doing things I wouldn't want to do or that I think puts them at risk.

I had a coach.  I pretty much ignored him.  I beat him by 52 minutes at IMCDA in 2011.  I use BT friends as my barometer.

2014-02-26 8:30 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by pga_mike

Originally posted by jennifer_runs Good personal coaching would cost more than I am willing to pay. I've seen too many people with coaches doing things I wouldn't want to do or that I think puts them at risk.

I had a coach.  I pretty much ignored him.  I beat him by 52 minutes at IMCDA in 2011.  I use BT friends as my barometer.

Now I will say that a good coach doesn't have to be a fast athlete.  

2014-02-26 8:40 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

A different discussion from this thread, but it you look at sports in general, many of the most successful coaches were not great athletes.  Conversely, some great athletes have been terrible coaches.

Mark

2014-02-26 8:51 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

New user
penticton
Exactly, what ever performance a coach as done in his carreer dosnt necessarly translate into the proper training skils.

There is one very easy element to look at when you want to hire a coach. it s very easy to find the right one. RESULTS......

your hiring someone to get you faster, make you reach your goal etc. Your not hiring someone to be your friend, to hold your hand and tell you that your pretty etc. It s a buisness association. There is nothing wrong with developping a special bound with a coach of course.... but ask yourself why you hire a coach.

what i want to see from that coach. RESULTS ACROSS THE BOARD. does he get big improvement from his new athletes...his many season veterans, is pro athletes. Yes, if that coach already coach or work with some professional triathlete...that could be a good sign because professional are so high maintenance and drama queen.... if a coach is good at dealing with those...he will be good with the more mature and grounded age group crowd.

so yes, coach that produce results are doing something write. This is when it could be good to associate yourself with them. You might learn a great bit. Ask reference, etc...

That said, if you are in the early stage of your triathlon life...starting your first sprint, olympic distance, want to finish and just enjoy the process, i think a coach might be overrated. I would suggest joining a local tri club if at all possible. The learning start there with teamates around you.

2014-02-26 9:12 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by marcag

Here's an idea of what coaches should do : they should charge based on results. You mutually set a goal, you set a fee for meeting that goal, you make it, everyone is happy. You miss it, everyone loses. I doubt the coaches would like this :-)

This is a super interesting concept that I didn't want to get lost on the previous page.

2014-02-26 9:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
penticton
I use a different approach, At Jonnyo Coaching, Results are guaranty or you are fired!

Coaching professional athletes is mostly all on % of gain by the athletes. if the athlete perform, the coach make ok/good money. I like it and it sometimes take 2-3 season until all the ''investement'' pay off but the challenge is fun!

obviously, this concept would not work for a age group athletes. A professional coach that make a living out of this need some kind of guaranty that he will get paid. a injury happening and it s over. Kind of like saying to doctor...you only get paid if you heal your patient. it aint that simple.

Edited by jonnyo 2014-02-26 9:21 AM
2014-02-26 9:27 AM

For sure, this is true. However, I still would not discount the experience of a someone who knows what it's like to compete at a very high level in the sport.

In music, you would never consider a middling performer capable of teaching someone with capability to reach their maximum or close to it. Practice has shown this as well. Triathlon is different, yes, but there are lessons learned and discipline to be followed that does count for something if they've 'walked the walk' before. 

As an AGer, I would never hire a coach who has not been faster than me at some point in their career, even if they were a great communicator. Not saying everyone should do this, but it's a guideline I would follow myself. (I realize that for top pros, this isn't possible necessarily.)

Edited by yazmaster 2014-02-26 9:29 AM
2014-02-26 9:35 AM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by yazmaster

For sure, this is true. However, I still would not discount the experience of a someone who knows what it's like to compete at a very high level in the sport.

In music, you would never consider a middling performer capable of teaching someone with capability to reach their maximum or close to it. Practice has shown this as well. Triathlon is different, yes, but there are lessons learned and discipline to be followed that does count for something if they've 'walked the walk' before. 

As an AGer, I would never hire a coach who has not been faster than me at some point in their career, even if they were a great communicator. Not saying everyone should do this, but it's a guideline I would follow myself. (I realize that for top pros, this isn't possible necessarily.)

That's ridiculous. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with the music analogy. I've known countless band teachers in HS that have molded and created performers exponentially better than they.

I also know (from track and field experience) that a coach does not need the high level of skill or first hand competition experience to be wonderful. Think of how many Olympic coaches have been around forever and have never really been spectacular athletes themselves, but have coached gold medalists one after another.
2014-02-26 9:41 AM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Danno77

That's ridiculous. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with the music analogy. I've known countless band teachers in HS that have molded and created performers exponentially better than they. I also know (from track and field experience) that a coach does not need the high level of skill or first hand competition experience to be wonderful. Think of how many Olympic coaches have been around forever and have never really been spectacular athletes themselves, but have coached gold medalists one after another.

Could Manny Pacquiao's coach ever beat Pac in a fight?  You can know how to be a great athlete and simply lack the ability.

2014-02-26 9:42 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
I want a coach.

One like the ones they have on the pro circuit.

One who is obsessed with making people better. But not too many people....

Who wants to take me all the way to Kona.

I want a coach who's going to know me inside and out.

I would pay real money for that.

But first, I would like to "try before I buy" (pardon the pun!)

2014-02-26 9:59 AM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
That's ridiculous. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with the music analogy. I've known countless band teachers in HS that have molded and created performers exponentially better than they.

I also know (from track and field experience) that a coach does not need the high level of skill or first hand competition experience to be wonderful. Think of how many Olympic coaches have been around forever and have never really been spectacular athletes themselves, but have coached gold medalists one after another.

Agree, and actually music is a very good analogy for this. I *used* to be a professional musician, and had many many teachers who lacked the ability to play anything nearly as lyrical or technical as they could understand. I learned an awful lot about improvisation techniques from a solfege teacher who played classical flute and had never improvised a lick in her life.

I doubt Brett Sutton could do half of what he has asked his athletes to do, he seems to have made out alright.
2014-02-26 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Here's another hassle with coaching (and teams): personal rivalry / animosity between coaches getting in the way of their athletes.

The triathlon community in the Seattle area, especially Ironman, numbers in the low thousands, and a lot of people know each other. 

Here's the situation: coach A and coach B, who know each other from past associations, past teams, etc, clearly have fairly low opinions of each other. Not so obvious as trash talking, but it's clear.  If you're an athlete of coach A, but going to go for a weekend ride with your friends who are coached by coach B, then your ride conversation is what?  Defending "your" coach?  Debating who is "right"?  Discussing how coach A and coach B should just get along?  Shut up and ride? 

You get that crap from teams, too. There was a team in Seattle that had a falling out with a team member who started a "rival" team on the Eastside. So a few years pass, and you join the Eastside team, unaware that Seattle team members have "bad blood" with the Eastside team leader.  You show up in the Eastside kit at some event, and there are five folks from the Seattle team, and you try to have a little conversation but get the cold shoulder. You don't even know these people, but you're wearing the "wrong" kit so they won't talk to you? 

Cool story, bro, right? 

Edited by brucemorgan 2014-02-26 10:43 AM
2014-02-26 11:08 AM

That's ridiculous. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with the music analogy. I've known countless band teachers in HS that have molded and created performers exponentially better than they. I also know (from track and field experience) that a coach does not need the high level of skill or first hand competition experience to be wonderful. Think of how many Olympic coaches have been around forever and have never really been spectacular athletes themselves, but have coached gold medalists one after another.

I feel that coaching at the elite level differs greatly from the AGer level. Different priorities, different emphasis.

As an AGer, I will stand by my opinion (and yes many will disagree) that I would not seek out a coach who was not at least as fast as I was in triathlon.

Part of this is also that I'm not that fast - fast enough to podium in M35 fairly regularly, but that's a pretty low bar of entry for an 'expert' in my opinion, and it seems perfectly reasonable to expect that ones coach should have at least had enough experience and ability to contend for an AG podium regularly.  Seriously, what level of expertise are you paying for otherwise, if they'er not even able to podium at local races? 

Your opinion may differ, and I'm 100% ok with that.

Edited by yazmaster 2014-02-26 11:09 AM
2014-02-26 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I feel that coaching at the elite level differs greatly from the AGer level. Different priorities, different emphasis.

As an AGer, I will stand by my opinion (and yes many will disagree) that I would not seek out a coach who was not at least as fast as I was in triathlon.

Part of this is also that I'm not that fast - fast enough to podium in M35 fairly regularly, but that's a pretty low bar of entry for an 'expert' in my opinion, and it seems perfectly reasonable to expect that ones coach should have at least had enough experience and ability to contend for an AG podium regularly. 

What if your coach is 60 years old, or a female. Should they still be faster than you?

2014-02-26 11:30 AM
in reply to: avsie2013

Originally posted by avsie2013

Originally posted by DanielG I tried to add my own and it wouldn't let me. I'm in this for fun and not all that interested in a coach.

Same for me. I'm doing triathlons for fun, to get fit and to stay fit. I'm just aiming to finish, and to beat my own previous results. I use pre-made plans and I just do my best with them

x3 - no interest in a coach. I do tris for fun and to stay in shape. If I had a coach, doing tris would probably stop being fun for me - probably would seems like a second job...and I don't need another boss.

2014-02-26 11:37 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

Originally posted by dmiller5

Part of this is also that I'm not that fast - fast enough to podium in M35 fairly regularly, but that's a pretty low bar of entry for an 'expert' in my opinion, and it seems perfectly reasonable to expect that ones coach should have at least had enough experience and ability to contend for an AG podium regularly. 

What if your coach is 60 years old, or a female. Should they still be faster than you?

I intentionally wrote "was not at least as fast as I was".

I wrote it this way to specifically make the case that I expect the coach to have HAD achieved that level of performance or equal equivalent at some point in their life. I do not expect them that very moment to be able to go out and beat me if the were 30 years older, or other changes.

But I would have expected them to have reached that level at some point in their triathlon career, to be at least contending for your AG podium regularly in regional races. Note that I'd consider a F60 KQer who might have much slower HIM/Oly times than me, to be perfectly qualified as their achievement at their age of KQ is at that level and beyond.

2014-02-26 12:16 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jonnyo

I use a different approach, At Jonnyo Coaching, Results are guaranty or you are fired!

Coaching professional athletes is mostly all on % of gain by the athletes. if the athlete perform, the coach make ok/good money. I like it and it sometimes take 2-3 season until all the ''investement'' pay off but the challenge is fun!

obviously, this concept would not work for a age group athletes. A professional coach that make a living out of this need some kind of guaranty that he will get paid. a injury happening and it s over. Kind of like saying to doctor...you only get paid if you heal your patient. it aint that simple.

It would be great to see such a model applied to AGer and I don't see why it can't. it is no riskier than a pro

The numbers I am quoting are fictitious of course

I come to you and say I am 50 y/o, VDOT of 53, watts/kg of 3.8, 1:35/100m CSS. I am willing to invest 20 hours per week. I will pay you a nominal monthly fee (let's say $100) and if you get me to Kona you get a bonus of $5000.

You do the math, figure I need a 55 VDOT, 4 w/kg and 1:33/100m css based on historical results. Can you get me there ? Of course there are other details you would consider in your assessment.

If you truly believe in my potential to get there within 2 years, you would take this because it's $1200 x 2 years + $5000 = $7400 or more than $300 per month.

You do your math, figure out how much you need to improve me, calculate the risk and counter. I can assess how much you believe I can make it and I feel we are in this together.

Of course there has to be a way to guarantee payment if I do make it. Maybe there are interim payments if I hit 4w/kg on the way there or 55 VDOT.
You can fire me at any time if you do not feel I am going to make it.

Why can't this work ? Why can't the coach be paid based on results ?

2014-02-26 12:23 PM
in reply to: marcag

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by jonnyo I use a different approach, At Jonnyo Coaching, Results are guaranty or you are fired! Coaching professional athletes is mostly all on % of gain by the athletes. if the athlete perform, the coach make ok/good money. I like it and it sometimes take 2-3 season until all the ''investement'' pay off but the challenge is fun! obviously, this concept would not work for a age group athletes. A professional coach that make a living out of this need some kind of guaranty that he will get paid. a injury happening and it s over. Kind of like saying to doctor...you only get paid if you heal your patient. it aint that simple.
It would be great to see such a model applied to AGer and I don't see why it can't. it is no riskier than a pro The numbers I am quoting are fictitious of course I come to you and say I am 50 y/o, VDOT of 53, watts/kg of 3.8, 1:35/100m CSS. I am willing to invest 20 hours per week. I will pay you a nominal monthly fee (let's say $100) and if you get me to Kona you get a bonus of $5000. You do the math, figure I need a 55 VDOT, 4 w/kg and 1:33/100m css based on historical results. Can you get me there ? Of course there are other details you would consider in your assessment. If you truly believe in my potential to get there within 2 years, you would take this because it's $1200 x 2 years + $5000 = $7400 or more than $300 per month. You do your math, figure out how much you need to improve me, calculate the risk and counter. I can assess how much you believe I can make it and I feel we are in this together. Of course there has to be a way to guarantee payment if I do make it. Maybe there are interim payments if I hit 4w/kg on the way there or 55 VDOT. You can fire me at any time if you do not feel I am going to make it. Why can't this work ? Why can't the coach be paid based on results ?

To complicate that 'ideal' of coaching, you really have to compare against a legitimate standard. Not dissimilar from stock returns - your actively managed mutual fund may have returned 22% profits last year which sounds great - until you realize that the unmanaged SP500 index returned 30%, so you actually LOST money.

Comparing to a stock Pfitz or other stockprogram would be a good benchmark comparison! (I know there's no universally accepted on in tri, but doesn't mean one can't be made.)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why DONT you have a coach? (please vote) Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Why dont you like CF or CFE?

Started by mkarr0110
Views: 1829 Posts: 18

2009-09-28 6:27 PM mkarr0110

Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches? Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by Rocket Man
Views: 9526 Posts: 150

2008-03-24 3:37 PM kenail

Mike R and other coaches- convince why I need a coach rather than a plan

Started by xterratri
Views: 2191 Posts: 23

2006-12-21 1:57 PM gsmacleod

Tips Please - Do's and Dont's for First Tri

Started by CountyFox
Views: 1389 Posts: 18

2006-08-03 9:08 AM Gwendal

I am having some swimming issues...help, please.

Started by lifeisgood
Views: 1544 Posts: 8

2005-01-11 10:27 AM kepola
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.

comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.
comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.

date : October 31, 2004
author : infosteward
Buried beneath election rhetoric about stem-cell research, gender in marriage and taxes are issues that could seriously affect your newfound hobby – triathlons.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.