General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is your long-term plan/goal? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-02-26 6:56 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: What is your long-term plan/goal?
Originally posted by bcagle25

What is your short-term goal (6-12 months)

Stay healthy have fun, try to figure out the perfect exercise and stretching routine to keep my back healthy

What are your long-term goals (1-5 years)

RAAM 2016

Do you have a 5-year plan?

No, but if my son(or daughters) ever want to try to KQ I will do that with them

Also to set a good example for my children, that exercise/fitness is a life long endeavor not just something you do as a teenager. To eat right and stay fit which makes everything else in your life more enjoyable. That fitness is a choice and a good one. That sitting on the sofa being 200lbs overweight is also a choice not a disease or epidemic as the media would have us believe.

2014-02-26 7:08 AM

User image

What is your short-term goal (6-12 months

Continue to improve my swim (which boils down to 'learning how to swim', really), finish a half-marathon in April, and finish 5 sprint triathlons this summer. Hopefully not as DFL, but if I do finish DFL (again), then so be it. 

What are your long-term goals (1-5 years)

Maybe do an oly next summer. Or at least, within the next 2 years. And depending on how that went, maybe, just maybe, do an HIM, eventually. But that's where I draw the line. I'm not interested in the full IM distance anyway, just like I'm not interested in running a marathon. But I can still change my mind

That would be stay healthy. And stay fit. And continue to HAVE FUN training!

2014-02-26 7:18 AM
in reply to: avsie2013

User image

I want to complete my first sprint triathlon this summer. I'm well on the way ability wise. I've just never signed up and given it a try. I'd also like to PR in 5k, 10k, and run a HM.

Complete a full marathon and be consistent enough in my training to potentially do a HIM. I've had the goal to complete an IM before the age of 30, so maybe that'll come to fruition.
2014-02-26 7:22 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It's very hard for me to set goals beyond about one year--has to do with my job and family situation. I literally don't know one year to the next where I'll be living and if I'll have a job. And whether/how much I can train/race depends on where I'm living and work demands.

6-12 months: I don't even have this worked out! In the next 5 months, do as well as possible at my races both AG and overall. Specifically, improve substantially on the bike. My first Oly is a really competitive race and I'd really like to podium and/or break my best time. Depending on how spring races go and family situation, I might do another HIM this summer in the US. (Training for a race now that's between Oly and HIM, and I do fairly long runs/rides anyway, so it wouldn't be a huge move up.) Just not sure yet if I can/want to use my summer break for those long rides/runs. Learned the hard way that doing them during the hot season in Vietnam is just too draining in terms of health and work.

1-5 years: It all depends on where my next job takes me. Ideally, stay competitive in tri and running at some level. But if I have to take a job where that's not doable (may not have a choice), stay active and retain at least modest fitness--I worked too hard to get it back to let go of it!

I'm not a Communist country. I don't have a five year plan, unless you count staying employed, being active, and having fun.
2014-02-26 7:38 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Short term I am looking to shed some weight and enjoy a season of sprint tris and running events.

In no praticular order.

Complete an Olympic Triathlon consiting of a decent field (Toronot Triathlon Festival??) and finish above MOP for my age group.
Have a summer of being able to take my shirt off and be happy.
Get under 20 minutes for 5k.
Full marathon

No
2014-02-26 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

1-FInish St. Anthonys respectably for me
2-Get rid of Plantar fascitis
3-IMFL...............faster than last year

1-IMFL under 13:30 yeah I know I am slow
2-IM marathon time faster than my IM bike time

Do you have a 5-year plan? If no, do you just participate in this sport for run and see the improvements as they may appear?

I don't really have a plan.  I have zero and I mean ZERO talent at this.  I could get faster if I were more diligent but I need for this to be fun and torturing myself and hanging all my hopes on something that may or may not happen even if I do everything perfectly would suck all the fun out if it for me.  I would LOVE to KQ but that is just not in my reality due to my crappy running and past injuries.  Even if I could quit my job train full time and get to my ideal body weight it would not happen for me.  I would improve and I could get my swim and bike to a KQ  time but I just do not have the running gene.  I mainly do this for fun and to maintain my health and sanity. 

2014-02-26 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Drop 10-15 lbs to get to my best race weight. Do a couple of Sprints and 2 Oly races this year. Would like to get my bike faster than 21 mph in an Oly and my run under 1:05. Both are obtainable but long-shots. Mostly, I want to continue to train and enjoy the journey.

Be healthy enough to do this beyond my 60's.

Octoberfest in Munich one day
2014-02-26 12:18 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

Short -term - do well at this year's races (Syracuse 70.3 and IMMT)

Medium term - stay active and keep challenging myself to do better. Maybe a few more IMs.

5 year plan - stay active and set a good example for my family of health and fitness, and of course, win the Kona lottery.
2014-02-26 12:42 PM

User image

South Texas
My long-term goal is to never weigh 350 lbs again. A 30" waist @ 173lbs feels much better than a 50" waist @ 350lbs. The discipline associated with training is a means to an end whether I compete or not.
2014-02-27 12:15 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Goal for the next 6-12 months is to PR at every distance I race, but not necessarily every race. (I have some time goals in mind. I think I can do this with everything except the Olympic distance where I have a PR that I will likely never see again....)

Qualify for 70.3 WC. I am on the bubble for this. A lot depends on who shows up.

Slowly improve my swim (although a huge incremental jump in swim skill would be welcome as well)

Improve on the bike. (I have some bike splits that I am loosely shooting for)

Still be in triathlon/endurance athletics.

Qualify for Kona. This is a long-shot goal. I am currently a top 5%er. To get to Kona I need to be top 1%. It may not seem like much but in long course triathlon that difference is enormous.

Go sub three in a Marathon. If I gave up Tri and became a runner I think that this would be relatively "easy". As a multisport athlete I am not running quite enough to hit that goal currently. (Go back to Boston with my sub three ) I should probably look at this goal more closely. It is something that I really want to do and I am at an age where physical improvements slow and decline may become part of my reality in the not-so-distant future.
I would hate to wait to try this again and have it be TOO LATE!

Not really. Just as part of my 1-5 year plan.

Keep having fun.

Not alienate my family with my obsession with getting better at endurance sports. This would not be as fun without having them to share it with.

2014-02-27 12:19 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Oh yeah. Do a 100 mile ultramarathon. There I've said it. Out loud. In a public forum. I want to run 100 miles in under 24 hours to see if I can do it. I know I can, but man will it call for some HTFU.

2014-02-27 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I forgot one - Run across America, unsupported. That's more like 10 year goal since I'll need to find a way to take 4-5 months off work. 

2014-02-27 12:43 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Goal for the next 6-12 months is to PR at every distance I race, but not necessarily every race. (I have some time goals in mind. I think I can do this with everything except the Olympic distance where I have a PR that I will likely never see again....)

Qualify for 70.3 WC. I am on the bubble for this. A lot depends on who shows up.

Slowly improve my swim (although a huge incremental jump in swim skill would be welcome as well)

Improve on the bike. (I have some bike splits that I am loosely shooting for)

Still be in triathlon/endurance athletics.

Qualify for Kona. This is a long-shot goal. I am currently a top 5%er. To get to Kona I need to be top 1%. It may not seem like much but in long course triathlon that difference is enormous.

Go sub three in a Marathon. If I gave up Tri and became a runner I think that this would be relatively "easy". As a multisport athlete I am not running quite enough to hit that goal currently. (Go back to Boston with my sub three ) I should probably look at this goal more closely. It is something that I really want to do and I am at an age where physical improvements slow and decline may become part of my reality in the not-so-distant future.
I would hate to wait to try this again and have it be TOO LATE!

Not really. Just as part of my 1-5 year plan.

Keep having fun.

Not alienate my family with my obsession with getting better at endurance sports. This would not be as fun without having them to share it with.

I haven't read through everyones goals, but from a competitive highly aspiring athlete, Jason you really have some great goals with a good perspective.

Knowing where you stand against your competition is important, but also knowing that even on your absolute best day it depends on who shows up when looking at qualifications and podiums. I think many people have their best days then are dismantled that they didn't place as high because an all-star crew decided to show up (prime example 2013 Racine 70.3 M30-34 AG), that takes nothing away from ones personal experience. Right on with the 5% getting to 1% for Kona. I think many athletes simply do not realize how much effort is needed and what is required to get to Kona. Sounds like Steve has you on a solid plan that is well thought on and well within your abilities and reach.
2014-02-27 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Short term: Try and run age graded PR's in 5k, 10k and 15k (not going to be able to get to my younger day PR's now that I am pushing 44) . Run a HM PR (only actually raced 1 and that was as a master so I can chase that one without having to age grade) and run my first marathon.

Longer term: Get back into tri and do an iron ditance race.

5yrs+: Go back home and run the Comrades.

Overall: keep plugging away at getting through nursing school.
2014-02-28 3:06 AM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Why stop at 5 year plans?

Lifetime goal--I'd like to do an IM. Just to finish. Someday. It might need to be Kona because I'd really like to do it in Hawaii. Actually I would prefer it be on Oahu on the original course. It needs to be somewhere beautiful and challenging. Most of the other courses I know about are either boring (in my book) or have cold water/weather, which I don't cope well with. But it's just not a possibility with my current location and job. I put too much time into this already, because I love to train!

I'm a patient person, and very stubborn. If it takes waiting until 70 or 80, so be it. Might be a good reason to stick around. And if I make it to 90 still able to put one foot in front of the other and able to count to four, I'm going to go for the world (AG) mile record. Always liked that event but lack the talent for it.

Would also like to do the Alpe de Huez Tri, just because it seems like it was designed with me in mind. (Bike mostly uphill, then run the HM at altitude.) Assuming I remain employed, that's probably doable in the next 5-10 years with a little $$ output as well as lots of training.
2014-02-28 11:19 AM

User image

Regular
Ankeny

Escape from Alcatraz, HIM, Marathon

IM Lake Tahoe, seek my revenge on Trinona!

Stay healthy and injury free!

2014-02-28 11:41 AM

User image

With a new baby and plenty of old babies, short and sweet is the rule for me this year.

Within 2 years, I want to have balanced and fine-tuned my freestyle.

Within 3 years, our local Land Between the Lakes 50 miler and a sub-3:30 marathon.

Within 5 years, IMKY (iron before 40)

My long-term plan is to keep my ambitions in check, keep my family strong, enjoy racing whenever I can, and pass on the love to my kids. Maybe I'll make a podium in one of those lonely upper AGs
2014-02-28 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

1) Train and continue to improve in S/B/R.
2) Finish the Boulder 70.3 faster than last year (6:00.10), with better training this should not be no problem.
3) Finish my first IM (Boulder).
4) BQ again at the Denver R & R Marathon. I get an extra 10 minutes this year.

1) Remain competitive/podium in my AG at local and regional races (both running and tri).
2) Place in the top 10% at larger races.
3) Stay healthy.

1) Stay healthy and active into my 60s.
2) Kick all the old guys butts in local races!

Beyond 5 years?

1) Stay active and healthy as long as my body holds up.
2) Watch both my daughters become successful in both their professional and family lives.
2014-02-28 1:18 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by ejshowers No specific goals at this time. I just want to generally stay healthy, have fun, train steady, and do a few races per year. This so I can stay in good enough shape that on any given weekend at a drop of a hat I could run a 10k, do a Sprint Tri, go backpacking or on a serious hike, snow or water ski, golf, or scuba dive.

Yep, this is me also.

There was a time when I was all geared up for race goals. Glad I saw my window of opportunity when I had the chance. I accomplished my goals and now everything else is icing on the cake. But during that time I feel I was a little obsessed and triathlon was out of balance with other things in my life.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is your long-term plan/goal? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Long Term / Short Term Goals

Started by crr5071
Views: 1417 Posts: 12

2013-04-26 8:47 AM RedCorvette

Setting up long term and short term goals in log

Started by Sharyn5
Views: 845 Posts: 3

2010-04-26 10:25 AM Sharyn5

My Long, LONG Term Goal

Started by MikeTheBear
Views: 925 Posts: 9

2007-01-11 5:40 PM MikeTheBear

Long Term Goal...met! Pages: 1 2

Started by KathyG
Views: 1048 Posts: 30

2006-01-11 11:43 AM karris

Long term goals

Started by Freak Monk
Views: 602 Posts: 7

2005-08-15 3:57 PM phoenixazul
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.

date : May 21, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I have a pinched nerve in my neck at C6 which is causing a burning pain in the upper shoulder and down the triceps of my right arm. I worry about training and doing long-term nerve damage.
date : April 8, 2010
author : Team BT
Create goals to help you train and lose weight. Our logger will automatically update your goals.

date : May 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Are your long workouts approaching 3 hours? Can't seem to eat enough or time your nutrition? Use the following calorie recommendations and recipes to create your own meal plan.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : March 20, 2007
author : Ontherun
Making goals achievable is an important part of reaching our end goal. Also, having a bar that is set high is important, so we are always striving for something better.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 8
Training plan terms and definitions for use in silver and gold member plan workouts. Many workout drills include VIDEO tutorials, see links below.

date : May 15, 2005
Approximately how long do you think can I reasonably expect to keep making these improvements in speed and performance? I know it has to drop off sometime, I'd just like to have an idea of when.