General Discussion Triathlon Talk » business owners , famliy people and training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-25 7:30 PM

Veteran
Subject: business owners , famliy people and training
Hi There

How on earth do people who run (challenging) company`s and have small children who are married find time to trainee ?

I am struggling to get even 6-8 hours a week in, i work 6 days a week , and start early morning for about 12 hours a day , then home to the children and home to let my partner go out and do some exercise, i often try and get a swim in during the day but more than often stuff comes up and i don`t, i go out very early riding and running but cant seem to get it done , you cant swim in the ocean at 4-5am in the dark plus that`s verging on madness

How do you do it ? maybe its a excuse or maybe its time to hold off and focus on my children and business ...........................

2014-02-25 8:02 PM
in reply to: Bigdave001

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: business owners , famliy people and training
You pretty much nailed why I'm still just a runner & not a triathlete. While I don't run my own business, my full time job keeps me busy. My wife works full time as well (and her schedule is more demanding than mine). Add in a 4 & 7 year old and there is no time for anything. I can't get out in the mornings unless I leave at 4AM because the kids are out of bed at 6AM. I can't do anything in the evenings because every night there is some activity going on (soccer, violin, etc) or we just want to spend family time together.

I run 4 days a week on my lunch break. My office has a gym, so I can change & run out the front door. I usually log about 15-20+ miles on M-F. Lunch is the only time I can get it in my schedule.

Lately. my son has been taking swim lessons at the Y, so I have been able to get in 30 minutes of laps while he is at his class. Then on Sunday, my wife knows that I reserve 1-4 hours of some kind of running (long runs, track work, etc).

For the bike, I have a trainer in my basement, but lately it's been collecting dust because you toss everything above in a blender & the last thing I have time to do is get on a hamster wheel for an hour at night.

I know people have found a way to balance it out & fit in life, family, work, and training, but for the normal person, something has to give, and a lot of time, that something is training for three disciplines at once.
2014-02-25 8:49 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I struggle to get more than about 5-6 hours a week for training during most of the year. I give myself permission to get a long ride/ run in during the weekends, and I fit what I can in during the week. Try thinking about quality vs. quantity. You can still accomplish quite a bit even with less hours for training. I find that the time I spend training gives me some balance and reduces some stress that I'd otherwise experience.
2014-02-26 7:43 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Both my wife and I work and we juggle two very active kids. There isn't a day that they don't have an activity after school. I don't let my tight schedule affect my training schedule. And, in turn, I don't let my training affect family time. For that, I do most of my training in the dark. Run, bike, and R/B bricks begin at 4:00. The pool (luckily is only 5 minutes from home) opens at 5:00, so I get an hour on days that I need to help get the kids to school in the morning. On days that I can go straight to work from the gym I get to swim for two hours. Weights/core/yoga is done at night while watching TV with the Mrs.

2014-02-26 8:14 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Family

Work

Triathlon

Pick two...

Somewhat more seriously, I think I was fortunate not to get hooked on triathlon until my youngest was a senior in high school.  Being an empty-nester frees up a surprising amount of time (if not money when you're paying college tuitions).

I think it's a very personal decision.  While folks here can share their personal experiences, at the end of the day you need to decide on your own priorites.

The only thing I'll say is that kids grow up so fast and time not spent with them is time you can never get back.

Mark 

2014-02-26 8:42 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

New user
Peoria
I am a business owner, have three kids 6,2, and six months, and have a wife who also works out and works full time

My typical winter week day is:

Work 430am - 630am
Kids to School 630 - 830
Work 830am - 130pm or 230pm dependant on the school run
Train 130 or 230 till 5pm
Family time/Dinner/Bath/books/bed 5pm to 8pm
Work again 8pm till 10pm

With the summer and warmer conditions outside more training will take place at night and early morning.

2014-03-02 3:53 PM
in reply to: dspursusa

Veteran
thanks everyone
2014-03-02 6:44 PM

, Idaho
I am the CEO for a (small) company with 45 employees. I run 5 offices in 4 towns across 2 states. I have 3 kids with a 4th on the way. My work week varies from 60-90 hours depending.

I've been exercising (and training for Triathlons) since last May. I finally got sick and tired of making excuses not to put physical well-being a focus.

Like you, I can really only fit swimming in during lunch. So I do it. I make it happen, no excuses (I don't have the time flexibility not to). I carry sack everything (snack, lunch, etc.). I don't have time to go home or out to eat for lunch.

I then fit in runs and bike sessions either at 5:00 a.m. or right after work. It can change week to week. I can't afford not to do back to back workouts often. It's working well for me. I'm drilled in on effort and making sure not to over do it, but still getting the volume/intensity/work I need.

Family is 1st for me. I give them quality time. If I'm watching TV, it's with the kiddos and we're interacting. Plus, One day a week is their time. No work, no training, no other distractions.

I'm getting in 8-12 hours a week working out. The key for me in all the areas of my life is (1) focus (2) quality (3) efficiency (The big caveat is family needs a quality and quantity dad, not a efficient dad...time, patience, kindness, and being present is the key to family). It can work. Put first things first and everything else falls into place.

BTW - This is my first post. I've been coming here almost daily for a year, but not posted until today. Thanks for bringing up something that hits home for me.
2014-03-02 7:15 PM
in reply to: d.wilk

Veteran
Originally posted by d.wilk

I am the CEO for a (small) company with 45 employees. I run 5 offices in 4 towns across 2 states. I have 3 kids with a 4th on the way. My work week varies from 60-90 hours depending.

I've been exercising (and training for Triathlons) since last May. I finally got sick and tired of making excuses not to put physical well-being a focus.

Like you, I can really only fit swimming in during lunch. So I do it. I make it happen, no excuses (I don't have the time flexibility not to). I carry sack everything (snack, lunch, etc.). I don't have time to go home or out to eat for lunch.

I then fit in runs and bike sessions either at 5:00 a.m. or right after work. It can change week to week. I can't afford not to do back to back workouts often. It's working well for me. I'm drilled in on effort and making sure not to over do it, but still getting the volume/intensity/work I need.

Family is 1st for me. I give them quality time. If I'm watching TV, it's with the kiddos and we're interacting. Plus, One day a week is their time. No work, no training, no other distractions.

I'm getting in 8-12 hours a week working out. The key for me in all the areas of my life is (1) focus (2) quality (3) efficiency (The big caveat is family needs a quality and quantity dad, not a efficient dad...time, patience, kindness, and being present is the key to family). It can work. Put first things first and everything else falls into place.

BTW - This is my first post. I've been coming here almost daily for a year, but not posted until today. Thanks for bringing up something that hits home for me.

thanks mate quality reply
wow you are a busy man - have you trained or would you for a full ironman ?
2014-03-02 7:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste. Marie
6 Days a week, 12 hour days . I believe that is A LOT of time invested to "work".

Find a way to shorten those "work: hours you mentioned, and turn them into Triathlon.
If you find this impossible, then maybe you should stick to family and work, don't follow a training plan, and just fartlek your workouts randomly into your days whenever you find the time.

Or are just in the mood to "go hard".

2014-03-02 7:52 PM
in reply to: Jyles16

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
40 hours a week, IT, flex lunches so I can do a swim or a run. 2 little kids so shuttling to school/daycare/activities is mine as well.

Moved closer to work so my car commute is 10 mins instead of 40.

I could make more money working more hours, but I was lucky enough to chose "enough". If I was working 6x12 I'd stick to just running. The bike/swim has too much wasted logistic time, unless you're really lucky with pool location (or own one).

Not many people on their deathbed say "Man, I wish I'd spent more time working.".

2014-03-02 8:25 PM

, Idaho
I participated in two sprints last summer. This year is sprints and an Olympic or two. I've read lots on this site where people are saying "grow and develop...have fun with it...be patient...etc." So that's my approach.

A year ago, I wouldn't even dream of an IM or HIM. But, I loved training for my first tri (like I've never enjoyed exercising before), and after my first one...it was in the blood. So, I kind of know that I'm going to want to do a HIM in 2015 or 2016, but I'm afraid to say it out loud yet. Just loving the passion I'm finding in the sport from everyone.
2014-03-02 9:02 PM

User image

I know how you feel! I am a single mom with 3 kids. I am a nurse and I work 3 jobs. One of the things that makes it easier for me is that my main full time job, I work from home, doing auditing for insurance companies. So I get to work in my jammies, I don't have to curl my hair and put make up on and commute. I get up at 5 am and ride my trainer or do the treadmill, I work 6 to 2, then from 2 to 3;30 I go swim, and when the kids get home, it is craziness. I like my kids to be involved in activities, but their dad is not involved in their lives and so they have to chose one or maybe 2 things they want to focus on because there is only one of me and I can't spend my life running everyone all over the place. I have to prioritize myself and my goals or I become a total crappy mother and I curl up in fetal and pig out all day. So, let's see. Happy mom, working out and healthy or fat and in fetal position...... I have been both places. My kids and I like me best when I am working out! My advice is early to bed and early to rise so you can work out before you go to work, or workout on your lunch so you get the time you need and your kids get the best you can give them when you get home!

Good luck! I believe in you!

Heather
2014-03-02 9:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by d.wilk

Ok, I have a super good idea! You are the CEO... YOU get to call the shots, you need to find a room or a little corner in your building, and have a little wellness campaign, budget out a little money for a good treadmill and a bike and some weights so everyone in the office can use them, people can schedule times to take their breaks so they can use the treadmill, think how much more productive everyone will be when they are on an endorphin high! You would also be the coolest boss ever... while you are getting your workouts in! win/win!

Heather

Edited by Dolcezza 2014-03-02 9:15 PM
2014-03-02 9:23 PM
in reply to: dspursusa

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by dspursusa I am a business owner, have three kids 6,2, and six months, and have a wife who also works out and works full time My typical winter week day is: Work 430am - 630am Kids to School 630 - 830 Work 830am - 130pm or 230pm dependant on the school run Train 130 or 230 till 5pm Family time/Dinner/Bath/books/bed 5pm to 8pm Work again 8pm till 10pm With the summer and warmer conditions outside more training will take place at night and early morning.

I commend you for functioning consistently on ~6 hours of sleep. Does it ever "catch up" to you, or are you wired to thrive on that little of sleep?

2014-03-02 10:04 PM
in reply to: #4955636

Veteran
I am quite lucky I love going out super early 430/5am on my bike but I am stuffed by 7/8pm

2014-03-03 12:01 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Single dad here, work full time and have 3 kids. Older 2 are in travel sports, so we go somewhere everyday of the week. I workout in the morning and at night when I have a chance. I can not keep a strick schedule, just do it when you can! Sleep sometimes suffers but I usually can squeak in 6 hrs a night a little more on weekends.

When I was young I was ok with 12 hour work schedules, now I believe that is just irresponsible. As a CEO you are sending the message to everyone who works for you that they should be working 12 hours a day and that's a poor life work balance. You also send that message to your kids, that when they grow up they should ignore life so they can go work and nothing else matters. If you can't do your job in 8 hours a day you should have more people working for you.
2014-03-03 1:18 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Bigdave001 Hi There How on earth do people who run (challenging) company`s and have small children who are married find time to trainee ? I am struggling to get even 6-8 hours a week in, i work 6 days a week , and start early morning for about 12 hours a day , then home to the children and home to let my partner go out and do some exercise, i often try and get a swim in during the day but more than often stuff comes up and i don`t, i go out very early riding and running but cant seem to get it done , you cant swim in the ocean at 4-5am in the dark plus that`s verging on madness How do you do it ? maybe its a excuse or maybe its time to hold off and focus on my children and business ...........................

You've got a few very feasible options, probably much more than what's listed below:

1. Switch to one sport for a while

2. Make tri training a priority - no more "i go out very early riding and running but cant seem to get it done". Get it done. 

3. Could be with #2 - get a bike trainer if you don't have one, and a treadmill. Turn downtime into combined workout time. Read work-related things on the trainer. Watch a movie or supervise kid homework/play time from the treadmill. 

4. Make training time count. Hit those intervals HARD on the bike. Slowly/safely put speedwork in with a run. 

5. Make a deal with your partner regarding a few workouts a week - like, if you really want that ocean swim, come to agreeable terms that you will get 2 hours a week to go swim. 

2014-03-03 3:31 PM

User image

Ledyard, CT
It's good to know that I'm not the only one that has a tough time fitting in training for three sports. Right now, I wake up at 5:00am to get on the trainer for an hour before my wife and son wake up. Weather permitting, I will try to go for a run during my lunch, and try to get to the pool on my way home from work. My ultimate goal is to plan my workouts such that there is minimal impact on time with my family. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm not a professional and racing is not paying my bills. If I have to skip a workout because of work or family obligations, I try not to stress about it. Also, despite my burning desire to complete longer races (HIM, or IM), I recently decided that I probably just don't have the time to train for anything longer than an Olympic-Distance.
2014-03-03 5:07 PM
in reply to: MikeyP4

User image

I have found ways to maximize my time. I commute to work instead of driving my car this gives me some bike miles I can use for training. In the mornings I will do interval training as its 11 miles to work so that is a good distance to try and hammer it or I will do tempos. In the evenings I will tack on extra loops to get a little longer ride so I do say 15-20 going home. Typically it takes me 35 minutes to commute both ways and I can easily ride that distance without the extras in 1:10, so for 35 minutes I have added 50-60 miles biking in a week.

I get an hour lunch and rather than just sit on the couch in the lounge and watch tv I drive over to the pool that is only 2-3 minutes away. I can get an easy 50 minute swim in 2 times a week this way and I just eat lunch at my desk while I am working. That saves me nearly 2 hours of pool time a week trying to fit in elsewhere.

Then you get up before everyone is awake, no one is up at 5am thats when you fit your runs in then you can be home for the family at night. Weekends you do all your long runs and rides and just coordinate with the wife for 2-4 hours on those days.

It can be exhausting at times and some days all I would rather be doing is napping but its so worth it on race day.

I have a 4 year old and a 5 month old.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » business owners , famliy people and training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

any good triathlon people/business to follow on instagram

Started by thecouch
Views: 3061 Posts: 5

2013-03-19 12:57 PM custombikepainter

Dallas on business and looking for place to train

Started by verow
Views: 523 Posts: 5

2009-06-16 2:19 PM lezlieou

business travel and tri training

Started by jrzgrl
Views: 1399 Posts: 13

2009-05-10 4:20 AM DanielG

business & training idea...pet exercise concierge

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 761 Posts: 8

2006-11-26 8:49 AM betyoursilver

business trips and tri training

Started by Mottyl
Views: 518 Posts: 3

2005-08-29 10:55 PM Mottyl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : February 27, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
We often forget the Other, that person or persons living behind the doors of our individual hubris, that secreted cheerleader who polishes our medals but never wins one of their own.
date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone

date : July 28, 2011
author : NiceTriCoaching
comments : 1
If you're training your swim, bike and run, you're almost halfway there! This article explores what most athletes miss, and how to integrate it into your training plan.
date : June 6, 2011
author : JorgeM
Article explaining simple training concepts important for any endurance program

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.