General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Milwaukee Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-26 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI
Subject: Milwaukee
Helloooooo Milwaukeeans! I've posted this thread in Cup O' Joe, too, but it was suggested I post here to get more hits.

I've been interviewing recently with a firm in downtown Milwaukee and things have been going really well. I believe a relocation package may be a part of the offer so I wanted to start getting a feel for your fair city, since I've never been.

Namely, what are some good areas to look for housing (buy or rent) and what are some areas to avoid. My wife and I would lean more toward the cool, eclectic, hip, artsy areas. Close to water gets bonus points. Thus far, we'll probably look at areas like Bay View, North Point, Third Ward...

So what are your thoughts on these areas. We're coming from Detroit (not so bike-friendly, but making strides)...grungy, head-strong and quite the hip, DIY vibe...but we'd like to have some parks/green spaces to play in, water to swim in and if possible, a good area for bike-commuting. We have no kids to raise and aren't big nightlifers, but being close to nightlife and good food is important.

Also, anything we should see/do when we come for a visit/interview?

TIA!!

2014-02-26 12:38 PM
in reply to: gir1with1nose

User image

Subject: RE: Milwaukee
Hello there,
I am also from the Milwaukee area. I lived downtown for a couple years and recently moved out to the "burbs". My wife and I lived east of Water street near the MSOE campus (Milwaukee School of Engineering). We really loved the location. It was close to more restaurants than I could ever visit and there were plenty of events/festivals within walking distance. I can't speak of Bay View or North Point, but I think the Third Ward would be a great area as well if you are into the "cool, hip" areas. It's an up and coming area with many new condos and a bunch of restaurants/bars as well. Not to mention it's near the water (Lake Michigan and the MKE river).

Milwaukee has plenty to offer in the summer time. Bradford beach is a nice place to go (until it gets crowded). There's tons of volleyball nets if you're into that. There's a bike path along the lake and several throughout the city. There's a huge music festival downtown every summer called Summerfest as well as many other festivals every weekend. I hope you enjoy beer because there's a bunch of breweries that offer great tours.

When are you interviewing? I will admit Milwaukee in the winter is...well... ugly. Maybe wouldn't make for a great first impression, but I enjoyed it during the summer. Good luck to you.
2014-02-26 1:52 PM
in reply to: mhaynes06

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI
Thanks for the reply!

I'm hoping to get there for a face to face by mid-March and I'm coming from Detroit where we were just named #1 on the Winter Misery Index.....so it can't get much worse, I think.

And yes, we LOVE beer! Detroit's been opening distilleries left and right too, so it's been fun testing all the different whiskeys, vodkas, gins, etc. Hopefully there is a bit of that in Milwaukee (If I want to take the job)

How far out of the city do you need to go to get in good hiking/biking/camping?
2014-02-27 12:26 PM
in reply to: gir1with1nose

User image

Well I now live in Muskego which is about 20-25minutes SW of Milwaukee and there are a bunch of biking trails around my house. Both paved and packed gravel. So you really don't have to venture very far to get to the "country". Traffic usually isnt too terrible either.

For short weekend camping trips, we usually head to the northern Kettle Moraine unit. It's about 1.5hr north of MKE and has some decent hiking/biking trails. We usually camp at Mauthe or Long lake. For longer trips we head to Door County (the peninsula of WI). There's tons to do up there. Wineries, apple orchards, swimming, kayaking....anything you want. I'd highly recommend that place. We usually camp in Fish Creek.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Milwaukee Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Milwaukee Lakefront Discovery Run , 15 & 5K ? Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by RaytownPete
Views: 5783 Posts: 186

2007-10-29 7:41 AM RaytownPete

Hank Aaron State Trail- Milwaukee

Started by jasonbohn9
Views: 1022 Posts: 2

2013-06-25 8:36 PM kvhmke

safe place in milwaukee to lock bike