General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chisago Lake Half Ironman, MN 2014 Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-07-08 3:55 PM
in reply to: jrensink78

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: RE: Chisago Lake Half Ironman, MN 2014 Official Thread
Originally posted by jrensink78

Anyone doing the group ride on Saturday?  I'll be there along with a handful of people from my tri club.  Although some of them are doing 2 loops.  Bunch of show-offs I tell ya. =)

I saw a number of people doing the sprint course last time.  Looks like there has been good turnout so far.

What time is the ride? I assume it leaves from the transition area/park? Is 1 loop the 56 miles of the course?

2014-07-08 4:02 PM
in reply to: benihana

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Right now I am planning on going with my friend, who is racing the HIM, and possibly my husband.

We tried it two weeks ago, for the first time, and were surprised that we needed to know the route.   Totally our fault, they gave us maps and warned us.  We thought we could just follow people and it turned out we followed people going the wrong way...  So, we made due with a few short cuts here and there and made it back in about 56 miles.  Pretty good luck! 

This time we'll bring our own cue sheet that we can read more easily.  We're determined to see the whole route as it will be on race day.  I am just happy for the excuse to ride!

Look out for a woman on a white Planet X roadie and a twin 6 jersey of some sort and say hi!

2014-07-09 10:37 AM

User image

The ride starts at 8:00 AM from paradise park (the race site).  And yes, you do need to know the route.

Some people will do the HIM route and others will be doing the sprint route.  So there will be plenty of company either way I believe.

After emailing with some of my tri-group members, I'm actually going to head out with a few others at 7:00 AM to be done a little earlier.  I think there are 3-4 of us at the moment.  So if others want in on that, the more the merrier.  We'll be doing the HIM route and probably be moving at a slower pace (16 mph give or take 1 mph depending on conditions).  I know the course pretty well so we shouldn't get lost or take wrong turns.

2014-07-09 7:15 PM

User image

The ride starts at 8:00 AM from paradise park (the race site).  And yes, you do need to know the route.

Some people will do the HIM route and others will be doing the sprint route.  So there will be plenty of company either way I believe.

After emailing with some of my tri-group members, I'm actually going to head out with a few others at 7:00 AM to be done a little earlier.  I think there are 3-4 of us at the moment.  So if others want in on that, the more the merrier.  We'll be doing the HIM route and probably be moving at a slower pace (16 mph give or take 1 mph depending on conditions).  I know the course pretty well so we shouldn't get lost or take wrong turns.

Would love to know what you think of the course. I am training for IMFL and am much SLOWER than I was last year. A little anxious about what my bike leg time will be.
2014-07-10 10:12 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Overall, I think it's a nice course.  You are mostly on roads going through the countryside.  Traffic is generally pretty light.  Some roads have shoulders and others don't.  But it hasn't been a problem for me.  There is only one stretch of road that I don't care for.  There is about a 3 mile stretch of road on Hwy 16 that is bumpy.  That stretch also has the biggest descent in the whole course, which makes it not so fun.  Outside of that, the roads are in pretty good shape.

In terms of difficulty, I don't think that it's too bad.  It's mostly flat with mild rollers.  There is one section near the river where you have some significant elevation change.  The climb out of Taylor's Falls will definitely slow you down for a bit.  There is a lot of up-hill for the better part of 3 miles.  But it's not constant.  You tend to climb and then flatten out, climb and flatten out, a number of times.  But I'm usually in my granny gear having to push it a bit on the climbs.  It's not terrible, but it takes the wind out of my sails.

If there is wind, that can get annoying.  Most of the time, winds are mainly out of the West.  So you would run into that early in the course for a little bit, and then for most of the last 1/3 of the course.  So after the climb out of Taylor's Falls knocks you down a peg and you are ready to get moving faster again, the wind can be a bit demoralizing.  I'll admit to cursing it more than once.

Taking the wind out of the equation, the first half to 2/3 of the course will be pretty fast.  Very little climbing and then some good down-hills down to the river.  Then there's is the big climb that will be really slow.  Then the next 15 miles will a bit slower than average due to more rollers and false flats.  Then it finishes up with a few flat miles.  So just know that it's going to be a slow last 1/3 of the course.  You'll be really happy with yourself for the first 2/3 though.  Negative splitting is probably not in the cards.

2014-07-11 9:38 AM

User image

I have to bow out of the group ride tomorrow.  My wife had something come up at the same time.  So I'll be doing my ride later in the day.  I am planning on doing one more ride of the full course next weekend though.  Once I figure out when, I'll post so others can join if they want.

2014-07-13 2:57 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

My friend and I made it around the route correctly this time!  We noted an annoying false flat on Oasis and then 11 on the first half.  The hills were pretty fun!   I don't mind trading a few climbs for the fast descents.  Although, the road surface on Wild Mountain Rd was a bummer.  I really wanted to stop for the alpine slide, but my friend is a party pooper.  All in all, that's a really good HIM bike course. 

2014-07-14 10:19 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

I remember doing a Rugged Maniac race (obstacle course race) at Wild Mountain on a hot day and really wanting to jump into the lazy river as I was running past.

I did my loop probably just after the official ride was ending on Saturday.  It was encouraging.  My legs felt better at the end than last weekend (thanks to a little more fitness and less wind) and my rear end definitely held up much better.  I think it may have been a swearing-free ride =)   One last week of hard training for me and then a taper week.  Hoping that it all comes together on the 27th.

2014-07-15 9:39 AM

User image

Is this the NEW COURSE that you have all been riding or is it the old course. My friend (racing with me) sent me an email yesterday
saying the new course looks fairly flat?? I am excited to hear that. Looking forward to seeing all of you in less than 2 weeks! I am not
sure I am "ready" since I am training for a full IM and feel SLOW, but it will be fun and I hope to finish at a respectable time. hee hee. What
does that even mean? ))
2014-07-15 12:57 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by midwesttrimom Is this the NEW COURSE that you have all been riding or is it the old course. My friend (racing with me) sent me an email yesterday saying the new course looks fairly flat?? I am excited to hear that. Looking forward to seeing all of you in less than 2 weeks! I am not sure I am "ready" since I am training for a full IM and feel SLOW, but it will be fun and I hope to finish at a respectable time. hee hee. What does that even mean? ))

We've been riding the current course - what you'll be riding in two weeks. I would call it reasonably flat, but there are definitely a couple climbs. No gut busters, though.

Have fun!

2014-07-16 11:08 AM

Elk River
I am officially registered for the Half. Hopefully it will go much better then my first one.

My two oldest kids are doing the kids triathlon on Saturday so we'll see how that goes.

Looking forward to a beautiful day and a great race.

2014-07-18 10:16 AM
in reply to: TooTallRunner

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by TooTallRunner I am officially registered for the Half. Hopefully it will go much better then my first one. My two oldest kids are doing the kids triathlon on Saturday so we'll see how that goes. Looking forward to a beautiful day and a great race.

Good luck, Tom.  I'll be cheering for you!

2014-07-18 10:56 AM

Elk River
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

Originally posted by TooTallRunner I am officially registered for the Half. Hopefully it will go much better then my first one. My two oldest kids are doing the kids triathlon on Saturday so we'll see how that goes. Looking forward to a beautiful day and a great race.

Good luck, Tom.  I'll be cheering for you!

Thanks Emily. It will be great seeing you again.
2014-07-22 10:42 AM

User image

Is everyone tapering happily? I am still in IM training but am tapering anyway just so my legs get a break. Just have 4X800 meters today that was supposed to have been done at the track at 5 AM. Ooops, now headed to my treadmill. Good luck this week! Would love to hear about what your week entails.
2014-07-22 10:49 AM

Elk River
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

Is everyone tapering happily? I am still in IM training but am tapering anyway just so my legs get a break. Just have 4X800 meters today that was supposed to have been done at the track at 5 AM. Ooops, now headed to my treadmill. Good luck this week! Would love to hear about what your week entails.

Saturday - 35 on the bike
Sunday - 12 miles running

rest of the week:
- run 3 miles - speed work today over lunch
- swim tomorrow, 3/4 of mile
- bike easy 20 miles tomorrow
- 6 miles easy run on Thursday
- swim half mile on Friday
- Rest on Saturday

Good luck to all.

2014-07-22 12:12 PM

User image

Originally posted by TooTallRunner

Originally posted by midwesttrimom

Saturday - 35 on the bike
Sunday - 12 miles running

rest of the week:
- run 3 miles - speed work today over lunch
- swim tomorrow, 3/4 of mile
- bike easy 20 miles tomorrow
- 6 miles easy run on Thursday
- swim half mile on Friday
- Rest on Saturday

Good luck to all.

'That's similar to mine, but I did my long ride and run last week (earlier in the week) and then just did a brick on Saturday. Here is what I have
planned:

Mon- Bike 1 hour (19 miles) and Swim 1 mile
Tuesday- Speed work (total of 5 miles with 4X800 meters)
Wed- Short brick of 45/15
Thursday- Run 30 minutes easy, swim 1200 easy
Friday- Short bike, short swim, and teach a class
Saturday- OFF
Sunday- RACE

2014-07-22 12:27 PM

User image

Also, does anyone recall if there are showered close by the race start/finish for athlete use? We have to jump back in the car immediately after
the race and drive 4 1/2 hours back home so would rather be clean. Last year at the HIM in Racine we found a kid's splash park and showered because we couldn't find anything else. Too funny!
2014-07-22 1:55 PM

New user

Wahpeton, ND
Not sure about showers - this is the first time I have done this course. For anyone staying at the Grandstay Hotel - I called inquiring about when the breakfast buffet would open and they agreed to open breakfast at 5:00 am to accommodate the triathletes.
2014-07-25 6:06 AM

Does anyone who has done Chisago have advice on parking or logistics for race day to consider? Thanks!
2014-07-25 6:24 AM
in reply to: sthoresen

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Originally posted by sthoresen

Does anyone who has done Chisago have advice on parking or logistics for race day to consider? Thanks!

I am an early bird to races, always there when they open transition, when I have done it in the past there is a parking lot just across the street that holds maybe 100 cars, so it will fill up fast, but if you are an early bird as well, then it won't be an issue

Good luck!!
2014-07-25 1:08 PM

User image

There is the park across the road that benihana mentioned.  Just up the block from the park (facing Hwy 8) is a community center parking lot that I believe should be available to use.  Outside of those parking lots, residential roads are the next best bet.

There is another parking lot about a half mile away at vilhelm moberg park.  It's the park right along Hwy 8 as you are coming into town from the West.  It's got the statue of the dude with a bike, a train car, and a giant Adirondack chair.

2014-07-26 6:38 AM

Thanks, guys, for the parking advice. Have a great race, everyone!
2014-07-26 6:48 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by midwesttrimom Also, does anyone recall if there are showered close by the race start/finish for athlete use? We have to jump back in the car immediately after the race and drive 4 1/2 hours back home so would rather be clean. Last year at the HIM in Racine we found a kid's splash park and showered because we couldn't find anything else. Too funny!

I looked around the park area for a beach shower or a shower in the building and did not find one.  You might have to settle for a re-dip in the lake

2014-07-30 10:42 AM

User image

Well, there weren't any showers that we could find either. We ended up driving south of Minneapolis to a rest area and "freshening up" before stopped for lunch and drove the other 3 hours home. I was feeling pretty dirty by the time we reached Des Moines, needless to say. )
Hope everyone had a great race. How about that wind out there on the bike? There were some challenging moments but all in all, I loved the bike course. The run was not really "flat" as mentioned but wasn't terrible either. I, personally, sandbagged my way through the run course chatting with new friends (like I shouldn't have been doing). Ended up with around a 9 minute mile, which was really not pushing myself at all. I was disappointed after but it was fun while it lasted. Finished in 5:36 so was just about where I thought I'd be. How did everyone else do out there? Hope you enjoyed the race.I was impressed by the number of very talented (fast) athletes on the course and had fun watching all the amazing bikes ($$) and equipment come through.

Great job all!
2014-07-30 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Had a good race. PR'd at the distance despite that ridiculous wind on the bike. As a matter of fact, I've never raced in so many climates in one day. (Windy, cold, rainy and then steamy hot on parts of the run.)

This is the second time I've done this race. It's a fun course and well organized. Other than the annoying announcer at the finish I really like it.

A few post race questions.

1. I noticed that a few people were DQ'd. Anyone know why? Just curious, but I didn't see anything DQ worthy myself.

2. Any idea why the photographer has put on his website "No Chisago photos?"

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chisago Lake Half Ironman, MN 2014 Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by markmms5831
Views: 4309 Posts: 37

2011-07-27 4:44 PM Git-tRi-Done

Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by markmms5831
Views: 8618 Posts: 65

2010-07-28 11:18 AM jrondorf

CenturyTel WhistleStop Marathon : MN Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by sparco
Views: 3589 Posts: 44

2009-10-12 9:04 AM sparco

Square Lake Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by markmms5831
Views: 9163 Posts: 56

2009-09-14 8:40 PM strolltroll

Chisago Lakes Area Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by markmms5831
Views: 3595 Posts: 26

2009-07-28 11:39 AM DanC82
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.