General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chisago Lake Half Ironman, MN 2014 Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-02-28 8:39 AM

User image

Subject: Chisago Lake Half Ironman, MN 2014 Official Thread

Looks like people are ready to get this thread started up, so I'll get it going.  Everyone who is doing the Chisago HIM this year, let's hear from you.  

I'm doing the Chisago race as my first ever HIM.  Got into tri at the end of last year.  Starting off this year with some Olys to help prepare for July.

I am a native to the area, so feel free to ask any questions about the location.  I'll also be training on the course as I build to longer bike rides.  So I'll be sure to let others know when I'll be doing weekend rides on course if you want to join me.  I definitely plan on at least 2 full rides of the course and another couple partial rides covering 50%+ of the course each time.

2014-02-28 8:45 AM
in reply to: jrensink78

New user

Brooklyn Park (Twin Cities), MN
Subject: RE: Chisago Lake Half Ironman, MN 2014 Official Thread
I'm signed up for the Chisago HIM this year as well. It will be my first time doing Chisago, but I am also doing the Liberty Half (which will be my first HIM). I'm looking forward to it.
2014-02-28 11:44 AM

Elk River
I'm on the verge of registering for this one.Still fighting to commit and pull the trigger.
2014-03-02 1:06 PM
in reply to: TooTallRunner

User image

I am registered and looking forward to this event. This will be my second HIM distance (Racine in 2013) and I am also doing IMFL in November. I am currently training for the Accel Olympic distance tri in Waterloo and then will continue on from there! Looking forward to meeting others who will be at Chisago Lake. I have heard good things about this race!
2014-03-04 4:12 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

A good friend is going to race this year, so I plan to come and watch.  I'll keep me eye out for a BT meeting or possibly practice rides.

2014-03-11 12:32 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Has anyone started training? I am currently getting ready for an early June race so doing quite a bit of running, biking and swimming but not adding long bike rides until we can get outside. Sure hoping that's soon! Swims are coming along. Hitting 2000-2500 consistently a few times per week. Back at the track today for 800s since it's finally free of snow! Hoping to run a half marathon in late May as well!

2014-03-11 1:08 PM

Elk River
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

Has anyone started training? I am currently getting ready for an early June race so doing quite a bit of running, biking and swimming but not adding long bike rides until we can get outside. Sure hoping that's soon! Swims are coming along. Hitting 2000-2500 consistently a few times per week. Back at the track today for 800s since it's finally free of snow! Hoping to run a half marathon in late May as well!

Still have not registered for this race yet but planning to. I have been swimming since January, and doing weekly rides on the trainer. Like you I am focusing on running as a I am doing the GetLucky half this Saturday and the Med City Marathon in May. Hope to get out on the bike soon as well. I need to get more focused on my swim as that is my weakest part.
2014-03-11 1:19 PM

User image

I'm at the beginning of the process.  I'm starting without much base.  So I'm slowly trying to build up mileage on the runs and put time in on the trainer.  Swimming will be a little slow for a few weeks as my local pool is under maintenance.  But I do have a weekly coached swim with my tri club.

I am loving the warmer temps though.  I finally got out on a run with fewer layers and no extra grippers on the bottoms of my shoes.  That was a nice change.

2014-03-29 9:59 AM

User image

Still not warm here but getting a little better. I actually had sinus surgery on Thursday so I had to take a few days off. This time around it was only balloon surgery so the Dr. says I should be able to run and bike easy again by Monday. Yahooo! I have been swimming close to 6000 meters per week, running 25 miles per week, and getting about 2.5 hours of biking in on the trainer. Pretty decent base but have been sick for 5 months so everything has been at a snail pace! Ready to tackle some speed work once I am recovered 100%. Guessing I will be out on my bike by the end of next week. Supposed to be in the 70s here tomorrow but before this its been in the 30s with very cold windchill temps! UGH! Looking forward to keeping up with all of you and your training on here! I did my first HIM last year in Racine and the water was rough. My goal is to better my swim time and improve my transitions. Hopefully that will leave me with a better OA finish time!
2014-03-31 1:22 PM

User image

Regular
The run should be fast this year since they're predicting cooler weather.
2014-03-31 5:36 PM
in reply to: Me XMan

User image

Originally posted by Me XMan

The run should be fast this year since they're predicting cooler weather.

Cool weather would be GREAT!

2014-06-05 11:32 AM

User image

How is everyone doing a little under 8 weeks out?

Just passed my first test this last weekend finishing the Buffalo Tri Olympic distance feeling good the whole way through.  That gives me hope that I'll be able to do the same for Chisago.  Just need to keep building.

I started riding on the updated bike course this week.  They did make some tweaks compared to last year.  You can see the updated map at http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0056/5600/2014_CHIS_Bike_Map_final.pdf.

2014-06-06 12:59 PM

User image

I rode the eastern half of the bike course this morning.  This was my first time hitting much of that area.

I've ridden just about the entire course over the past week now and overall it's in pretty good shape.  The only significant area that wasn't fun was CR 16 in Almelund.  Pretty much right from the start until shortly before Wild Mountain (when you are heading East), you are riding across those tarred road crack repair strips that run perpendicular to your path and it's a somewhat jarring bump every second or so.  It definitely gets annoying.  It also makes the biggest descent of the course a bit of  nail biter.  I don't know that I would want to take it in the areo bars.

Good news, the big climb out of the river valley wasn't all that horrible.  I'm not a good climber by any stretch of the imagination, and I didn't find it to be too taxing.  It's definitely a workout.  But it didn't make me want to immediately run out and get a different cassette for my bike.  Also, the descent after the big climb was a blast.  

2014-06-07 8:03 PM
in reply to: Me XMan

User image

Regular
Looking for redemption from disaster in Liberty HIM.
2014-06-10 7:07 AM

Elk River
Looking for motivation here.

I ran my first marathon on Memorial weekend. But the training to do that took away from the bike and swim training to do this HIM. I am trying to get focused on it now after getting sick the last 2 weeks. But I am worried that I won't be prepared.

How tough is the bike and run course? I want to do this one but I'm just not sure I can pull it off.

TTR
2014-06-10 7:08 AM
in reply to: 0

Elk River
Sorry for the double post. Browser acted weird.

Edited by TooTallRunner 2014-06-10 7:09 AM

2014-06-10 8:27 AM

User image

Regular
The bike is a little tougher than Liberty with couple of good hills to climb.
The run is almost flat and lack of shades. Hot sun will cook you good.
My time for Chisago is usually 10mins slower than Liberty.
2014-06-10 8:57 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Originally posted by TooTallRunner

I ran my first marathon on Memorial weekend. But the training to do that took away from the bike and swim training to do this HIM. I am trying to get focused on it now after getting sick the last 2 weeks. But I am worried that I won't be prepared.

How tough is the bike and run course? I want to do this one but I'm just not sure I can pull it off.

TTR

To what Me-Xman said, the bike course isn't horrible, but there is a decent climb coming out of the St. Croix River Valley (around mile 35??). The run course is relatively flat, with a couple rollers that make it fun...my thought is as long as you can do the swim, and can bike the mileage, you should do the race...what do youhave to loose? If nothing else, use it as a recon mission for next year and an opportunity to challenge yourself for the next few weeks
2014-06-10 9:51 AM
in reply to: benihana

Elk River
Originally posted by benihana

TTR

To what Me-Xman said, the bike course isn't horrible, but there is a decent climb coming out of the St. Croix River Valley (around mile 35??). The run course is relatively flat, with a couple rollers that make it fun...my thought is as long as you can do the swim, and can bike the mileage, you should do the race...what do youhave to loose? If nothing else, use it as a recon mission for next year and an opportunity to challenge yourself for the next few weeks

Good point. I still have 7 weeks, so I think I can build up enough to finish. I'm just hoping I can do it faster than my first HIM in the dells, those hills were brutal.

Keep on training....
2014-06-10 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Originally posted by benihana

TTR

Good point. I still have 7 weeks, so I think I can build up enough to finish. I'm just hoping I can do it faster than my first HIM in the dells, those hills were brutal.

Keep on training....

Just make sure to train smart and knowing that it will be a hot day on the run course, try to get some heat acclimation done, either through sitting in a hot tub during the 2 weeks proceeding the race and/or by running outside during lunch during the heat of the day

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you are doing
2014-06-11 6:18 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
And the bike course not anywhere close to as bad as the dells

2014-06-11 7:53 PM
in reply to: peteweb55403

User image

How is the training going for everyone?? I am behind on my swimming but since it's not much further than an Olympic swim I think
I will be just fine. Bikes are going okay. Overall, this is basically a training day for my IMFL in November. I ran a half marathon just over a week ago and flopped big time. HOT, humid, etc. Need to get used to that again from what it sounds like!! I will get out and do some hot runs in the heat of the day. I did Racing 70.3 last year for my first HIM and it got a little warm. Water was also rough. I think my time was 5:42 so my goal is to be under 5:50 for this race I think...

Any hotel suggestions for this event? I need to get that booked? Does the town get crazy busy?
2014-06-12 2:43 PM

User image

I'm  building up the miles coming off of my first successful Oly a few weeks back.  I'm a local and I've been riding the course lately to get a feel for it.

For a hotel, I'd check out the Grandstay.  It just opened and is pretty darn close to the race site (should be less than 1 mile away).  Otherwise you are looking at some older small town hotels/motels.  

http://www.grandstayhospitality.com/find-a-hotel/locations/chisago-city/overview

2014-06-12 5:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by jrensink78

I'm  building up the miles coming off of my first successful Oly a few weeks back.  I'm a local and I've been riding the course lately to get a feel for it.

For a hotel, I'd check out the Grandstay.  It just opened and is pretty darn close to the race site (should be less than 1 mile away).  Otherwise you are looking at some older small town hotels/motels.  

http://www.grandstayhospitality.com/find-a-hotel/locations/chisago-city/overview

Thanks so much!
2014-07-08 3:40 PM

User image

Anyone doing the group ride on Saturday?  I'll be there along with a handful of people from my tri club.  Although some of them are doing 2 loops.  Bunch of show-offs I tell ya. =)

I saw a number of people doing the sprint course last time.  Looks like there has been good turnout so far.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chisago Lake Half Ironman, MN 2014 Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by markmms5831
Views: 4323 Posts: 37

2011-07-27 4:44 PM Git-tRi-Done

Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by markmms5831
Views: 8630 Posts: 65

2010-07-28 11:18 AM jrondorf

CenturyTel WhistleStop Marathon : MN Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by sparco
Views: 3592 Posts: 44

2009-10-12 9:04 AM sparco

Square Lake Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by markmms5831
Views: 9174 Posts: 56

2009-09-14 8:40 PM strolltroll

Chisago Lakes Area Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by markmms5831
Views: 3599 Posts: 26

2009-07-28 11:39 AM DanC82
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.