General Discussion Triathlon Talk » durable smartphone Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-28 4:47 PM

User image

Subject: durable smartphone
does anyone have any recommendations for a smartphone that can withstand running with headphones where the output jack doesnt break? ...dont like the audio quality from stand alone mp3 players & like to answer calls on the fly. thanks!

2014-02-28 7:50 PM
in reply to: fnkyhd

User image

Subject: RE: durable smartphone
I've never had this problem with my iPhones. Right now I almost always run with my iPhone 4s, either in my Spibelt, my runcuf, or on my water belt with a clip holder.

Do you use a straight plug or 90 degree plug? I know some people have better luck with one or the other-- I usually use straight ones, but have used 90 degree ones without issue also.
2014-02-28 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4957412

I also use a iphone but I have it in a lifeproof case which makes it waterproof and shockproof.

I've been swimming in backyard pools with it and had a few accidental throws and drops and it's never been harmed.
2014-02-28 9:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
On my long runs, I run with my iPhone in an arm band, but I just play the music through the phone's speaker. This works well for me b/c it plays music, but I can still hear what's going on around me, and I don't have to worry about managing headphones or anything like that.
2014-03-01 9:44 AM
in reply to: Mega_Man

User image

i have been using an amphipod fanny pack thingy with a 90 degree plug. it is stretchy and holds the phone in place. my phones last longer in it than rattling around in a pocket or flying up and down strapped to my arm but over the past three years i have gone through 2 iphones and 3 samsung phones. the most durable (and best sounding) was the iphone3 but itunes is a deal killer. wish there was a phone for runners!
2014-03-01 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
maybe a blue tooth for sports ? haven't tried any of them, but probably is not a bad idea.

http://www.amazon.com/JayBird-BlueBuds-Sport-Bluetooth-Headphones/d...

2014-03-01 1:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I have to have push to talk so we switched phones at work when the Nextel network went down......ended up with a casio commando on Verizons push to talk network.....you can't kill this phone.  A couple of months ago I put mine in a glass of beer for 15 minutes on a bet....fully immersed.  Took it out and rinsed it off....no problem.  I don't know how many times I've dropped it, kicked it, and generally abused it.....no issues.  We are currently running 25 of them for my crew and zero function issues.

My wife and kids all have iphones.....I think they suck.

http://www.casiogzone.com/us/commando/

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-01 1:59 PM
2014-03-05 8:53 AM

User image

im on att, no casio option . bluetooth is not an option either = VERY poor audio quality. at a certain point it is not even music but just a reminder that there once was music.
2014-03-05 8:54 AM

User image

guess i can just go on detroying apple & samsung phones...or leave it at home and listen to traffic
2014-03-05 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
East Greenbush
Blu tooth headphones are the way to go. Sure wired headsets sound better but who cares while you are running. I use the music to take my mind off the fact that i am running.
2014-03-05 9:48 AM
in reply to: orphious

User image

Look up the LG Tones. You can control songs, volume, answer calls, and whatever else you'd need while you're running and you won't have to deal with chords. Just put the phone in a pocket/run belt and off you go.

2014-03-05 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I love my S4 active.  If you break that, then my hat's off to you!

2014-03-05 10:19 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

Originally posted by WoodrowCall

On my long runs, I run with my iPhone in an arm band, but I just play the music through the phone's speaker. This works well for me b/c it plays music, but I can still hear what's going on around me, and I don't have to worry about managing headphones or anything like that.

ahhhhh! so YOU are that guy
2014-03-05 10:59 AM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
I know it's so old school, but hey as long as my company buys my phones so be it, all of my Blackberry's have with stood enormous amounts of abuse and have yet to kill one. Kicked, dropped, dropped in a cup of water, left on the bumper of my wife's car and flew off down the road.
2014-03-05 11:52 AM

I personally have the original Galaxy S phone. Love it. I've dropped it thousands of times (w/ and w/o a case) and its still ticking. Can't speak to the newer 'S' phones but I've been incredibly impressed with Samsung. That being said they've gotten wickedly expensive in the last couple years with their popularity. I'm thinking about going iphone this time around because it seems to be pretty resilient from the stories I've heard from friends who swear by them. Throw it in an armband holder and your'e good to go.

With respect to matching some headphones with a smartphone go bluetooth. It's been debated already, but truly the only way to go.

I have these headphones. They were updated with the Sony S10-HD model which I have heard aren't nearly as resilient. Unfortunately they don't seem to carry the old model on amazon, but I would search around for this first generation pair if you can through Google.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-S9-HD-Bluetooth-MOTOACTIV-Packaging/...

These headphones are PHENOMENAL. They sound incredible, they're fairly comfortable and surprisingly light (the picture makes them look bulky but they really aren't) for workout headphones and they stay put. I have had these for close to two years and they are by far my favorites and go to headphones.

Plus they have a microphone and adjustment buttons along the frame near your ear. You can adjust the volume easily, skip tracks on your playlist, and accept phone calls (the microphone is strong and doesn't pick up background noise).

Again, the newer model S10-HD is said to not be as highly regarded as the S9, so I would search around and see if you can find some still floating around out there. These will keep your headphone jack in tact, and they hold a charge all day even with a ton of use and they sound every bit as good as my wired headphones (I'm a snob when it comes to audio quality, too.)

Good luck.

2014-03-05 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
x2 on the lifeproof cases for iPhones. Great product!

2014-03-05 12:09 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Mega_Man

I also use a iphone but I have it in a lifeproof case which makes it waterproof and shockproof.

I've been swimming in backyard pools with it and had a few accidental throws and drops and it's never been harmed.

+1 for combining an iPhone with a Lifeproof case.

We have used the Lifeproof case for taking underwater video and for tracking hundreds of miles of runs via mapmyrun and GPS. And the phone looks and works like new whenever it is out of the case.
2014-03-05 12:42 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Left Brain

I have to have push to talk so we switched phones at work when the Nextel network went down......ended up with a casio commando on Verizons push to talk network.....you can't kill this phone.  A couple of months ago I put mine in a glass of beer for 15 minutes on a bet....fully immersed.  Took it out and rinsed it off....no problem.  I don't know how many times I've dropped it, kicked it, and generally abused it.....no issues.  We are currently running 25 of them for my crew and zero function issues.

My wife and kids all have iphones.....I think they suck.

http://www.casiogzone.com/us/commando/

My cousin has this phone, he brought it to a family reunion last summer and all the cousins had a great time throwing it around the room trying to break it. It got tossed 20 feet onto a hardwood floor, dropped off a second story balcony, dunked in the lake, etc. Nothing phased it. Pretty impressive.

2014-03-05 12:49 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

x3 Lifeproof case, comes with the water proof headphone adapter for the case. It keeps the tension off the headphone plug.
2014-03-05 12:54 PM
in reply to: isurf

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

just get the phone you like and wrap it in an otterbox!  i run with a samsung galaxy S4 and have no issues with the headphone jack.

2014-03-05 4:27 PM
in reply to: isurf

User image

Originally posted by isurf

x3 Lifeproof case, comes with the water proof headphone adapter for the case. It keeps the tension off the headphone plug.

yes yes, this is what i a looking for! i believe it's the tension on the plug that breaks the output circuit! Thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » durable smartphone Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Durable Race Tire Recommendations

Started by erinrockrun
Views: 2541 Posts: 15

2012-07-29 12:14 PM Oldteen

bike wheels recommendations: durable and moderately priced

Started by alath
Views: 1945 Posts: 12

2012-05-30 7:18 PM alath

Cheap yet durable training tire