General Discussion Race Reports! » Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key West, Florida
United States
Questor Multisport & Set Up Events
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 26m 22s
Overall Rank = 33/180
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/27
Pre-race routine:

Wake up early and have my cereal breakfast with milk and nesquick (3h before race time).

I headed to transition and set it up (I had half banana 1h and 30 min before race time). I also sipped a little bit of Gatorade (I didn't have water).
Event warmup:

Not much, I went to the swim start (1 mile away - walking), put on my wetsuit and I was in the first wave, so I was only able to swim for about 100 yards.
Swim
  • 47m 35s
  • 2435 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim distance was measured incorrectly and it was way longer (20%) than expected. The swim is my worst discipline, so I wasn't happy about it. Also, I had an ear infection for the past three weeks, so I didn't come with much confidence in the swim.

However, the worst part was that I didn't have time to warm up and that this was my first wetsuit and OWS in almost 4 months. Those two facts, in addition to swimming very cold water that I am not used to, made it for a bad swim. Finally, I don't think I pushed myself to hard on the swim.

On the positive side, I think that I sighted pretty well (at least my Garmin swim map looks decently straight...). And sighting wasn't easy in this race, the buoys were every 0.3 - 0.4 miles and not very big or bright. I decided to follow the crow and sight towards the ends when I left them.
What would you do differently?:

Many thinks, but mostly things before race day:

- Train more: I had an ear infection for the past 3 weeks, which limited my swim practices heading to the race.
- Train better: I didn't swim in my wetsuit nor OWS in almost 4 months. My body wasn't adjusted to my wetsuit and I didn't feel quite comfortable in the water (very cold).
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Overall: 60/180
Age Group: 13/27

Not my best transition. I will definitively have to practice it more.

Not that it would've changed the outcome a lot, but somebody left his helmet and sunglasses on my bike seat and it threw me off a little bit until I figured out what to do with them.

The only valid excuse that I can find is that I was in one of the worst spots of the transition area. I was very far away from the swim end and the bike out. But no excuses, I need to get better here.
What would you do differently?:

I was afraid of the cold and I put too many things on my transition area, which stayed on the way.

I will have to lay down a better and cleaner transition area to help me fly by.
Bike
  • 2h 45m 18s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr
Comments:

This was probably one of the most dangerous bike courses I've ever raced. We were basically riding on the shoulder of US1 (highway) and cars were flying by us. To make it worse, every time I had to pass somebody (I had to do it multiple times due to my poor swimming time) I had to get into the highway lane... I was afraid while riding for the first time.

Also, except for a few miles, the road surface was very bad. Imagine riding on the shoulder of a highway: rough surface, full of debris, etc. Many people got flat tires, I was very lucky not to have one.

Finally, towards mile 40-45 my abductor muscles started to hurt a lot. After this and what I mentioned in the first two paragraphs, I made me m
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

101/180
20/27
Run
  • 1h 49m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

PR HM and in an HIM!!

I started strong off the bike and I decided to go until I blew off. Only until there were 2 miles to go I started to feel very heavy legs and I just power it through. Very happy with my run. I ate and hydrated when necessary, not too much and not too little.
Post race
Warm down:

Sit down, eat pizza and coke, and 10 minutes massage.

Later on, go celebrate with my wife!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A very poor swim and a rough bike course.

Event comments:

Good race. Very well organize and many volunteers with lots of energy. Also, you can't beat the location.

However, the bike course was not safe. I didn't feel comfortable and I think that safety should be number 1 priority when organizing a race.I will repeat, only if the bike course is different than biking on the should of a highway with lost of traffic.

Last updated: 2014-01-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:35 | 2435 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/27
Overall: 85/180
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Pro
Course: Swim off shore and make a right turn at the buoy, swim straight leaving 4 buoys on your right hand, turning right after the last one. Head towards a pier were we had to go up the stairs and run about 150 yards until transition.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:45:18 | 56 miles | 20.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/27
Overall: 45/180
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back, very easy.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:49:09 | 13.1 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/27
Overall: 24/180
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-03-02 8:34 PM

User image

Miami
Subject: Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course

Started by Aust1227
Views: 1675 Posts: 6

2014-01-31 9:07 AM Turnin2

Started by Tripopo
Views: 1332 Posts: 2

2013-02-01 5:33 AM spearit

Started by hypersteve
Views: 2266 Posts: 9

2013-01-23 8:11 PM hypersteve

Started by firemedic1070
Views: 1219 Posts: 3

2013-01-15 7:42 AM spearit

Started by spearit
Views: 2220 Posts: 12

2013-01-15 1:57 PM spearit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.