Brewhouse/Duluth Clinic
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 13s
Overall Rank = 154/192
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

a restless night. between my coughing, a full bladder (bathroom visits every two hours), and having both girls sleeping with me, i didn't get much sleep. up at about 5:30am. my mom and i both had cereal, loaded up the car, and headed to the race. we were there at a great time. just a handful of bike on the racks. both got good spots. wandered around and saw some of the BT folks, county cycle folks, and my mom's friend liz, who was doing her first tri (i talked my mom into tri'ing, and now she's getting her friends to race!).
Event warmup:

watched my mom's wave go out. got into my wetsuit to do a warm up. i have been having coughing fits the last few days. when i got into my suit, the extra pressure on my chest brought on a good fit. i practiced coughing into the water as i swam, in case i had another coughing fit during the race. seemed to work out some of the gook that * cough cough * was in my lungs. did some sighting practice and a few drills, then watched the short course waves finish up. saw a guy i thought was steve (hikergb), but all the guys are in black tri shorts and swim caps...so i wasn't totally sure. was waiting for him to take his swim cap off and show off his bald noggin, but no luck. he didn't take it off until after he was on shore, at which time he was probably out of ear shot. oh well. i did see my mom though, so i yelled 'GO MOM!" a few times, then got into my wave.
Swim
  • 31m 2s
  • 1450 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

started off too fast and had to relax a bit to avoid having a coughing fit. was awful at drafting. as soon as i would get behind someone, they would be gone. all the non-elite women were in the last wave, so i made a goal of catching some of the guys in the wave ahead. i did manage that, but overall it was not my best swim. i thought i would at least beat my swim time from last year, considering i had a wetsuit this year, but no. last year (no wetsuit!): 30:47
What would you do differently?:

not get a cold 2 days before the race
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

most of my transitions with the wetsuit are around 3 minutes, so i'm pretty happy with this time. last year = 2:28 (again, no wetsuit!)

find the right rack on the first try :)
Bike
  • 1h 07m 15s
  • 20.6 miles
  • 18.38 mile/hr
Comments:

had i been in perfect health, i was hoping to finish in right around an hour, doing my fastest bike yet (20+ mph pace). again - i blame my cold. shocking that my pace was so slow (i didn't watch my speed, just my cadence). also shocking that i was 4th in on the bike in a tough age group field when my pace was so slow. my pace was slower than at the half-ironman i did two weeks ago. my lungs felt okay on the bike, but i didn't kill myself, assuming the run would be even harder given my cold. still, it was nice being on the bike. passed at least two other women from my age group, and several guys. i need to write a letter to the mayor and tell them that the roads out there really need paving more than once every ten years. the cracks and potholes from the harsh minnesota winters really made for a bumpy ride. oh, and i saw my mom finishing up her race as i started my second lap! :) last year = 1:04:07.

Transition 2
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

felt pretty good after the bike. have a mentioned the cold? have i mentioned i also have asthma? i always have an inhaler in my transition bag, but its usually floating around the bottom of the bag and never gets used. knowing my breathing might yucky on the run, i put my albuterol inhaler in my shoe. i took a puff, and then decided i should take it with me, just in case. i've never done that either. i tucked it in the back pocket of my tri suit. other than that, and not finding my rack right away, everything went normally. last year = 2:29.

find the right rack on the first try :)
Run
  • 49m 31s
  • 5 miles
  • 09m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

my goal was just to run the whole thing. after walking so much at spirit of racine, i needed to remind myself that under normal conditions i can actually run a whole race! i walked briskly through a couple of the water stops, but as soon as the water was gone (drunk or dumped on my head), i started running again right away. i wasn't going very fast, but at least i was running. felt pretty good the whole time too, actually. amazing. i was predicting it was going to be a painful, lung cookie fest. used the inhalor just after the turn around, just in case. kept a steady pace, and it was worth it. even passed a few people who had passed me earlier on. ella ran out from the crown towards the end and, yet again, crossed the finish line with me! last year = 45:40

Post race
Warm down:

found my mom, bill, the girls, steve, etc. mulled around for a bit. got a bagel bite, a banana, and a gatoraid. waited to see kris come in but we just missed her. my mom had placed first in her age group (go mom!) on the sprint, so we needed to stick around for the awards ceremony. bill took the girls to the playground while my mom and i rounded up our bikes and gear and brought them to the car. came back and sat around through the door prizes waiting for the awards. the girls were really tired, so bill went back to my parents' house. finally the got to the awards. it was so fun watching my mom, and her friend liz, get 1st place in their age groups (65-69 for my mom, and 60-64 for liz, who was doing her first race). my mom was the only on in her age group, and there was no 70+, so she was probably the oldest woman racing the short course. again - go mom! you'll be happy to know she cut her transition times in half - from 18 minutes total to just 9 minutes

What limited your ability to perform faster:

getting a cold 2 days before the race. not sure how long recovery from a HIM takes, but considering that the woman who won the long course today also won the HIM in chisago lakes last weekend...well, i probably can't use that as an excuse :)

Event comments:

i like the brewhouse because its in my hometown. that said, it bums me out that its getting more high profile. since it made the top 100 list, some things have changed. twin ports cyclery, the shop i used to work for in duluth, has been doing race support for years, back to when it was called the AAA pike lake triathlon. now gear west is sort of taking over. they didn't have a repair truck there this year, so twin ports ended up covering for them, but gear west had a bigger spot on the shirt and more name time during the awards. no offense to gear west, but they really don't have to be at EVERY tri. there are lots of other great shops who want and should be able to help out at events like this (especially LOCAL shops at a LOCAL race). it is also now a usat event, which is okay by me, but again - sort of changes the overall small town vibe. okay, rant over.

as for my race...i had a cold at my first tri this year, tri-u-mah. at my first outdoor race, buffalo oly, i was getting over an intestinal virus. fitting that i end my sad year with yet another cold. wtf? its depressing to not beat my previous times in good conditions. still, i am trying to focus on all that i have learned this year - about listening to my body, running my own race, and enjoying the race itself instead of constantly watching the clock (didn't use my watch today, again!). this was my last tri of the year. i still have a few other things coming up, but i am considering this officially the start of my off season. time to get my immune system up and running for a change, work on fat loss, and improve my running.

Last updated: 2006-02-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:02 | 1450 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 0/192
Performance: Below average
Suit: nineteen riptide full
Course: triangle?
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:07:15 | 20.6 miles | 18.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/10
Wind: Some
Course: two loops on fairly rough roads. some very mild rollers, a couple tiny hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:40
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:49:31 | 05 miles | 09m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/10
Course: out and back on the same roads as the run, with one side road to the turn around. slightly rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-06 10:04 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: Brewhouse Triathlon

2006-08-07 12:25 AM
in reply to: #503678

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Subject: RE: Brewhouse Triathlon

Great RR Autumn!  Makes me want to come do it...hmmm...

Tough to race with a cold.  Whenever I have a cold my asthma goes haywire, I can't believe you were able to race. And you DON"T CARRY YOUR ALBUTEROL?   REALLY?  GEEZ, mine goes through every race with me and I almost always end up using it on the run. 

Anyway, nice way to end the season, and totally cool to race with your mom.  Tell her congrats for me

2006-08-07 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Congratulations Autumn! Great race and report, as usual. You have had a run of bad luck with your health this year, that's for sure. Hopefully that means next year you'll be all healthy, all the time.

And congrats also to your mom and Liz. How very cool.

2006-08-07 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Autumn,

Great race....it was so great to meet you on Friday and see you again Saturday. I saw you as you made the first turn after the light on your bike on your first loop...I yelled out but doubt you heard me.

You did awesome considering you weren't feeling super plus you did a HIM just a couple weeks ago.

I agree with the road pavement issue...very bumpy! 

My family wanted to leave and have breakfast so we left after everyone finished...I should have asked you to pick up any awards we won...Emily placed 2nd in her AG...I'm trying to work out getting her award but can't reach the RD...any ideas?

Your daughters are even cuter in person than in the pictures you post.

I wish we had more time to visit with you...awesome job...you are inspiring!! 

2006-08-07 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Very nice race, especially considering the obstacles!  It was very cool to have our little group there.  I'm certain that the comaraderie (sp?) helped my race!  GET HEALTHY, girl!
2006-08-07 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Hey Autumn,

It has been great getting to know you this year. I REALLY appreciated the get together on Sat. night it really helped cut the nerves. You have had a spate of bad luck on the health front but you just keep going on with the race. Truly inspirational!

Tell you mom thanks again! That was so nice to open her house up to us.

Next time I'll get the swim cap off sooner! I didn't know my head was that famous!

2006-08-07 5:54 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

nice race Autumn!  I know what you mean about losing the local flavor, happened around here too.

Definately sucks trying to race with a cold too.  I think you did pretty damn good considering how you felt! 

2006-08-07 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Way to push through Autumn! I hope you are feeling better soon!
2006-08-07 11:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
you never cease to amaze me.. good race... I need some hints on the HIM i have.. how the heck did you do it!! regards.
2006-08-08 12:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana

You are an inspiration!

Unbelieveable, really. Way to go! What an amazing season you have had...enjoy your down time.

Amy

2006-08-09 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
As always you are solid in every event. You just did a tough half iron + feeling bad and you still had solid splits in all events. The competition for your age group is ferocious up there. Hope you are feeling better soon.

2006-08-15 4:10 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Way to gut it out Autumn. Tough luck for you this year in the sickness dept.

As usual, great race report.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brewhouse Triathlon Rss Feed