55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 60m 32s
Overall Rank = 155/727
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 8/98
Pre-race routine:

*Overall is female only*

I arrive in PHX on Friday afternoon and after getting into my hotel, and a pair of shorts and sandals (!!!!) I went to get my packet. It was easy enough to find, but I was not impressed with volunteer workers. I asked the packet person if I had everything, since the bag seemed really empty, and she said yes. Well, it turns out I didn't have safety pins and - oh yeah - the shirt! I walked through the expo and was directed into Sports Authority which I assumed was just a marketing scheme. I was given a coupon and sent on. If I hadn't stopped to look around I wouldn't have overheard that the shirt pickup was in the store. Geez! So, I got my shirt plus a few things and was done. I spent the rest of the night with my feet up in the hotel room.

I woke up pretty early, the time change of one hour helped. I had picked up some breakfast items at the grocery store so I got ready and headed to the start. The directions were specific and they said there would be signs pointing for each race, since each distance had a separate bus/pickup area. They didn't and the volunteers in the area didn't know. I finally went with my instinct, which defied the instructions, and ended up in the right place. We had to get on the bus by 6 for the 7:00 start. I should have been more patient and got on the last bus.

I arrived at the start to see no real shelter or heat (as promised...) and stood in the mist/rain for an hour. I found a spot near and building and made two nice friends. The chatting made the time go by MUCH faster. We heard we'd be delayed by about 10 minutes since the half marathon was coming through faster than thought and they needed to not create congestion for the leaders. Hey, they designed the course that way... I was pretty annoyed.
Event warmup:

I eventually walked over from the building to the start line. No warm-up this time for me!
Run
  • 60m 32s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

The first few miles are down hill and you can really feel it. It's awesome. I felt like a million bucks until about mile 3. I had only worked up my distance to over 7 miles, but definitely wasn't "race ready." I kept the pace very consistent, but walked too long through a few stops to take in Gatorade. The last mile or so felt SO hard. I did everything I could to not snap the rubber-band between me and the platinum-haired lady I had been pacing on.
What would you do differently?:

I do regret walking as much as I did at the stops. I should have trained more, but that ship sailed a while ago. I am glad I did as much as I did. I guess I needed a touch more mental fortitude for this one.
Post race
Warm down:

After I crossed the line, and got water, etc., I walked through the expo. From now on I am carrying my credit card because there was food and possibly clothing I would have bought. It was COLD and my car was really far away. They didn't offer bag drop to the 10k, even though we had to park the furthest away! I saw a bunch of clothing draped over a fence and I wondered if it was the discards from the start. I almost took something, but didn't want to be wrong and look like a jerk.

I walked around to wait for the awards. I thought, based on previous years, there was a chance I might place in the Athena division. Since the results slips didn't show rank, and there was no other way to find out that I knew of, I waited for awards. They started late (quelle surprise) and then they only "mentioned" the top runners in each AG. No awards! Only top 1,2,3 were given an award. I was pretty stunned since I am sure the web site said awards would be given.

I felt really dejected and walked back to my car, nearly an hour after my race ended, with nothing. Once I got to my phone I saw I was in 8th, so it didn't matter. Boy, I wish I had walked back to my car right away. I have provided feedback to the RD about this, which I am sure will be ignored as usual.

Event comments:

The poor organization pre-race, the late starts, and the disorderly finish area will not allow me to do this one again OR recommend it. There were some spots - the finish line food and offerings were good for the 10k (it was a zoo for those finishing later) and the easy course was nice. The rest was too much trouble.

Last updated: 2014-01-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:60:32 | 06.2 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/98
Overall: 0/727
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2014-03-04 11:16 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Phoenix Marathon 10K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Phoenix Marathon 10K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Phoenix 10k

Started by thebigb
Views: 1291 Posts: 5

2013-11-04 9:29 PM thebigb

Phoenix 10k

Started by cbrydle
Views: 827 Posts: 1

2012-07-15 5:59 AM cbrydle

35th Annual Phoenix 10k

Started by djhelbert
Views: 870 Posts: 1

2010-11-07 7:02 PM djhelbert

34th Annual Phoenix 10k

Started by djhelbert
Views: 947 Posts: 1

2009-12-11 4:12 PM djhelbert

34th Annual Phoenix 10k

Started by jbesse79
Views: 1138 Posts: 1

2009-11-10 10:57 PM jbesse79
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.