Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 00m
  • 100 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Where to start, where to start? Just how does one prepare physically or mentally to run 100 miles? I'm honestly not sure you possibly can. As per usual, I forged my own route to the start line. Over the past few months I ran 4 marathons and 4-50Ks in relatively close succession to get my body ready to run on tired legs. Otherwise I wasn't sure what else to do. All I knew is I wanted to do this once and only once and if I didn't finish I had to do it again another year so I might as well finish. I did go in planning to be smart and not finish if necessary. But, I did want to finish.
The week of the race was a mix of emotions. I was ready to run, ready to do this. But, I was incredibly stressed about the logistics of such a race. Spreadsheets with packing lists everywhere. Piles of clothes and supplies for every occasion. Every food I've ever craved on a run. You name it, I had it ready. We are allowed to have "drop bags" at the start/finish line and at one of the aid stations called Dam Nation. The bags can have pretty much anything we want in them and mine were filled! Due to my food allergies I had plenty of food on hand, changes of shoes, changes of clothes. Bio-freeze, extra lights, extra glide, Colgate wisps, body wipes, towels, almost anything you could want I wanted it on hand.

Friday:
I took off of work on Friday to rest, but spent most of the day finishing packing. Finally around 2:00 Andy and I dropped off Miss Mayhem with a petsitter and headed up to Hunstville. I normally don't attend pre-race briefings but this time I wanted to hear what they had to say. Between the traffic in Conroe and the line to get into the park we got there just as the meeting started. Most was pretty standard but the idea of Search and Rescue being around the park for us was a bit eye-opening as to just how intense what we were attempting is. After the meeting I picked up my race packet which had a very nice long sleeved shirt I hoped to be able to wear, my race bib and chip. I also dropped off my Dam Nation Race bag.
After the briefing we went and set up camp, and then headed into town for some dinner. I was very tired and ready for bed, so after I briefed Andy on the plan for the next day and his responsibilities (I was asking a lot of the poor guy) we curled up early - we had a long day and a half ahead of us!

Saturday Morning:
I slept ok overnight - a bit restless but better than usual for the night before a big event. The alarm went off at 5. We snoozed once and then got up. I had my morning checklist. Yes, it was down to the detail of "put on socks, tie shoes". I didn't want to forget anything. I managed to swallow half a Lara Bar and half my FRS and then it was time to get to the start line. Now, for everything I packed (and I mean everything), I didn't bring safety pins. There are always extra in race packets. This time there were none. No pins! Don't panic, they'll be at the start line. I get everything else ready and we start heading down to the start line.
We get there and no one has any safety pins. I'm starting to freak now. One of the volunteer says there are some at the lodge but I might miss the race start. He then says to wait here and takes off running. His friend says if he doesn't get them just shove the number in my pack and take it out when I cross the line, she'll have some when I get back in 20 miles. Luckily the first volunteer came back and right as I fastened the 2nd pin the gun went off. Here we go!!!

The course was 5-20 mile loops with multiple aid stations along the way. Dogwood was the start/finish line. 3 miles later we hit the Nature Center. 3 miles later we hit Dam Nation where we do a 6 mile loop ended back at Dam Nation. Then it's another 3.5 to Park Road and finally 4.5 back to the start. I think I'll try to break the report up by aid stations / loops.
Loop 1 - Dogwood to Nature Center. ~65 degrees, dark and incredibly humid
Safety pin fiasco taken care of I jumped in where I fit (no idea where I was in the pack) and took off walking with the group. We started running a bit and hit the single track. Almost 600 folks on a single track means no running your plan. We walked when those in front of us walked, ran when they ran. This part has some twists and turns where you can see the runners ahead of and behind you. It was really awesome seeing all of the headlamps in the darkness. I wished I had my camera on me, but it was in my pack I was using for loop 2. I wasn't wearing my headlamp. From prior trail runs, I knew we'd be crunched together during the darkest part of the run so I had only my knuckle light (thank you Christine!) with me. It's the lightest and least annoying light I own. I'd have plenty of time to get sick of my headlamp and sternum light later on. My "plan" was to do a 4 minute run / 1 minute walk and walk all of the uphills. I knew the first few miles I'd be at the mercy of the group but if they were running more than I planned I would get off the trail and walk. However, they were walking more than I had planned so I just kept with the group. We got to the Nature Center with relative ease and the aid station was super congested. I checked my water - I'd only used a quarter of the bottle and it was still dark out so I figured I had enough water to make it to Dam Nation. I cruised right on by the aid station and found myself some open trail.

Loop 1 - Nature Center to Dam Nation ~65 degrees, dark for the first part with the sun coming up during the 2nd and incredibly humid

There were still a lot of people around, but now passing was possible and we were able to run our own runs. I was glad I skipped the first aid station. I had carried my own food and had started my plan of eating and salting every half hour early. Also, a sip of water every walk break. Go slow, eat early and eat often was my plan for this race. This starts on a relatively slight incline so many of us walked this. Then I was able to get back to my plan. The sun finally came up which meant I could drop off my lights at Dam Nation - YAY! I was happy to see the sun and running well until maybe 10 minutes from Dam Nation there was a small bridge or a small trail to choose from. I chose wrong - the trail took me down. I landed flat in a mud puddle which was messy but a blessing. Such a soft landing, just some scrapes on my knee but no pain. Yay! Up quickly and back to running. This part was a jeep road so we could run side-by-side. My fall opened up a conversation with Lisa. It was her first 100 too. We chatted until Dam Nation where we lost each other. I handed my light to a volunteer who threw it in my bag for me and headed up to the water table where they quickly re-filled my bottle for me.
My plan was not to dawdle at the aid stations. I would refill my water, grab food and walk while I ate. At the front I'd take a break and re-glide, biofreeze, whatever needed to be done. At Dam Nation I might stop if necessary. Only 6 miles in there was simply no need to visit my bag so I took off while others milled around. I lost Lisa, but I've learned you often loose people at aid stations during ultras. At least I do, probably because I don't like to hang out.

Loop 1 - Dam Nation Loop yay for the sunlight!

This is both the longest section and probably the hardest section of the course. We take off from Dam Nation and relatively quickly we hit a very long uphill. Everyone was walking. It felt like forever! There's a slight flat in the middle to run, then we continue walking. After that hill it simply seems like there are a lot of slight inclines and as with most of the course there are a lot of roots. I'm completely blanking on names now (I'm super tired) but on this loop I met Bill and maybe Richard? They were super friendly when I butted into their conversation. Bill had received a bike for Christmas and was going to start IMTX training once he recovered from this race. He ran last year and finished in 29:59:40. They shut down the course at 30 hours so this is AMAZING. I probably would have given myself an anxiety attack and missed the cutoff if I was so close. He gave me advise on this race, I gave him some on IMTX. We ran together for a while and then I realized my pace might have been faster than I intended so I backed off a bit. We leapfrogged a bit as our run/walks were on different intervals, exchanging pleasantries each time. I continued my run/walk, upped my salt intake due to the high humidity and drank every walk break. Suddenly I noticed I only had about 2 sips of water left, I hoped we got to the aid station soon! Luckily as I took my last sip it came into view. I refilled my water, went to my bag to bio-freeze and grab a turkey pickle (my magic ultra food - turkey deli meat wrapped around a pickle. Protein and salt - yum!) and took off.

Loop 1 - Dam Nation to Park Road

Part of this we ran back where we came from heading to Dam Nation the first time. I saw the spot where I fell and took the bridge this time. We eventually turned onto a Jeep Road which seemed to be a never ending slight incline. Not as many roots as most of the run which was nice, but a bit sandy (better than it usually is!) and slightly uphill. After what felt like forever we made a left turn and saw the port-o-potties. They already stunk, this will not be good later! It was then downhill a beat up roa for maybe half an hour. Then a sharp right turn, up a hill and we were at the next aid station. WooHoo! Besides the long road this was the fastest feeling section of the course. I topped off my bottle and kept going. I was proud of myself that I was doing great on food, hydration and salt. My stomach doesn't always let me do these properly, I was glad it was agreeing today.

Loop 1 - Park Road to Dogwood
Somewhere along this section I met the nicest man from Boulder Colorado. We chatted happily along the way. It was his first 100 but he had done the Leadville 50 miler. Ouch! He often runs along the area where my Aunt Carol lives - he has a nice loop including the reservoir there. We had a splendid time and then next thing I knew we were heading into the start/finish area. OMG - 20 miles done! Don't think about how far I have to go!

Loop 1 - Break
I skipped the aid station entirely here and headed straight to my bag. I was switching packs but I did have a volunteer fill my water. I wanted to change my shoes so I headed over to my drop bag. My favorite shoes give me a hot spot. My new shoes don't have as much cushioning so it's a trade off. My thought was to wear the favorite shoes until the hot spot formed, then change into the new ones. Then when my feet swelled up (as they were likely to do) I'd switch into the ones that are too big for me. The hot spot already forming it was time for change #1. No need to change socks, so I just changed shoes, put some deep blue on my calfs and knees and bio-freezed them both. Andy had forgotten my 2nd pack!!!! This completely threw a wrench in my plan. I planned to wear my waist pack for loops 1&3 and the backpack for loops 2,4&5. I'd like to alternate every loop but the last 2 would be in the dark and my sternum light only fits on that pack. If I ran this loop in the waist pack everything would be messed up! I was trying to move the weight and alleviate any chafing as much as possible. I asked him to meet me at Nature Center, ate a turkey pickle and took off for loop #2.

Loop 2 - Dogwood to Nature Center
I lost my Boulder running friends at the front so I was on my own for this part. The first mile of it is an out-and-back of the last section so I saw a lot of people coming in. I was surprised, I always have this feeling I'm the last person on the course. No idea why, I just am always surprised that there is someone behind me. Andy was at Nature Center and I was happy to get to see him again. I took a pee break at the bathrooms here. There were only 2 and I was a bit miffed when a non-runner looked at me and didn't let me go before him. Seriously fat dude?!?!?! I waited a few minutes here, which upset me (not from a time perspective but a "I don't want to be standing still waiting for a fat dude to pee perspective)!

Loop 2 - Nature Center to Dam Nation
I think this might be my favorite section of the course. I love the first part of this - the twists and turns and for some reason as we cross the road and turn into this section it just makes me happy. I saw the spot where I fell and took the bridge again. Back at Dam Nation before I even know it.

Loop 2 - Dam Nation Loop
My least favorite section :( At least this time I was prepared - it is long and hilly!
Somewhere around the spot I met Bill last time I met 3 guys with IM tattoos so I struck up a conversation. They'd all done IMTX together twice and were heading out to IM Wisconsin this year. They were planning to stay together the entire race. They were super friendly, especially Q. I'm sure that's not how I spell his name but it sounded like Q. Eventually they pulled off for a bio-break and I lost them. We were pretty close to returning to the aid station so I would have lost them in a few minutes anyway. Stopped at my bag for a turkey pickle, restock my bag with some food and to spray down with some bio freeze. I was shocked to find myself back at the aid station at 7:17 into the race. My 50Ks this season have been 7:00-7:30. This was 32 hours at 7:17? Crazy! I'd been being so very conservative and running incredibly slowly. Well, running normally but walking tons and taking breaks. So, I was really happy with the overall pace so far.

Loop 2 - Dam Nation to Park Road
Hmmm, this seems more uphill then before! I found a sweet girl to run with, it was her first and last 100 too and we chatted about how we were feeling and just wanted to finish. And how we really wanted to find that port-o-can. We finally did and split up here. Feeling so much better I was running strong when suddenly...am I hallucinating already? Andy warned me to expect to hallucinate in the middle of the night but it's not even mile 40 and I'm already seeing a T-Rex! Snapped a picture for proof later (when I assume I'll be delirious and telling others about the T-rex I saw) and turned the corner towards the aid station.

Loop 2 - Park Road to Dogwood
Wow, this leg is MUCH longer than I thought. 4.5 miles sounds short but it's actually quite a long way! And, there's one part near the bridges that the trail is REALLY hard to make out so I made my best guess. This might not be good at night. Finally turned the last corner and had a wonderful surprise - there was my dad! Super happy to see him, what a great surprise!

Loop 2 - Break
WooHoo! 2 loops down, 3 to go.
Skipped the aid station and headed to my bag again. No shoe change this time. Re-applied some tri-slide (OMG, I'm so incredibly in love with this stuff! With body glide I still have chafing issues somewhere between 5&20 miles, this stuff I only had one chafing spot over 100 miles and it's where I didn't re-apply). Deep blue and biofreeze on the knees and hammies. Grabbed a bag of yummies - gluten free cookies and gummy bears. Yum Yum! Changed out to my waist pack again, ate another turkey pickle, kissed Andy goodbye and took off.

Loop 3 - Dogwood to Nature Center
Hey - it's my Boulder friend again! I caught him relatively early in this stretch and we ran together to the Nature Center. His daughter is mostly Paleo and we were talking about all of the delicious foods we've discovered through this. We were chatting about my sweet potato chili as we passed a camera guy and he asked for the recipe. Funny - I sent him to the site as of course I didn't have the recipe on hand. Both were ready to try it now :) Then we got to talking about Avocados. I had packed every food I've EVER craved during a run. I had never craved an avocado while running before but if someone handed me a half an avocado with a spoon I'd have been the happiest girl on the course. Unfortunately we were not offered avocados at the aid station so I took another orange slice (the only thing I'd been taking from aid stations so far) and headed off. Hopefully he would catch me again.

Loop 3 - Nature Center to Dam Nation
I ran by myself for a bit and then my friend caught me again, we picked up where we left off. We got to talking about the weather and he said if I'm ever in Colorado in the snow to look him up and we'll do a midnight run in the snow. I hate the snow and cold but this sounds simply AWESOME! It was here where I started developing a blister on the bottom of my pinky toe. This did not amuse me but during the 50 out here they had a super blister guy at the Dam Nation Station so I knew I just had to get there and get it taken care of. I was slowing down and really starting to limp this last section, I was super happy to see the aid station! I stopped here and bid my friend goodbye as I knew I'd need to be here a while. I asked for blister help. I stopped at my bag and grabbed a turkey pickle, my b-vitamin drink (forgot to mention I've been drinking some of this at every drop bag), my headlamp (Eeek - it's going to get dark soon!) and hobbled over to the medical area. The blister guy was spreading his time between helping me and getting another girl back to the front (super sad, she was winning at the time!) so I was here a very long time. Felt like about 20 minutes as my timer went off several times. Luckily I got the blister early so we didn't have to lance it. He mole-skinned and duct-taped it and it felt so much better! Off I went, pain free. Weee!

Loop 3 - Dam Nation Loop
I was sad to lose my friend again, but the downtime meant a lot of people passed me. A lot of people who were moving slower than I was, so I spent a lot of time passing people here which was a really nice pick-me-up mentally. I ran with one guy for a few minutes but he was flying. He tried to get me to break 24 hours with him but I KNEW that was a very, VERY bad idea. So, he dropped me. Later I passed him as he was fixing his feet on a bench. We leapfrogged on and off but I was in no way shooting to break 24 hours. My only time goal was sub-30 and that was only because they shut down the course at 30. I also knew when it got dark, things would slow down significantly. And they did. It got dark very quickly and so did my mood. As soon as the lights went out I started stubbing my toes. Ow. Ow. Ow. Damn-it, OW! I practice on very rooty trails so I pride myself on not tripping or stubbing my toes very much. This was very humbling. I just wanted to get back to Dam Nation. Especially when I ran out of water. I had filled my bottle before starting this loop but it just wasn't enough.

Finally, 12:42 in there it was. Wait a second, 52 miles in 12:42? My 50 miler was 12:30+. I know I did not run the last 2 at a 6 minute pace so it looks like I just PR-ed the 50 miler. OMG! And, I still had plenty left in me. Just how does one feel so good (despite the stubbed toes) at the 50+ mile mark?

Loop 3 - Dam Nation to Park Road
The first part of this was rooty so it was very slow. Then we hit the open road and even though it was uphill so I took advantage and ran as much as I could. No roots = running!
I really had to pee so I finally just pulled off the side and peed. The port-o-john just hadn't shown up and I couldn't wait any longer. I'm so super happy I've taught myself to pee standing up (I know, TMI) and this came in handy. Apparently this was just the start of the bladder issues. About every 15 minutes I had to go again. Very annoying! I had also run out of cookies and gummy bears. I had other foods, but after an entire 2013 of no sugar or junk food I was loving the treats.

Loop 3 - Park Road to Dogwood
This was the darkest part mentally. I was hating the dark and the roots. HATING them. And I was peeing almost every 10 minutes. Very annoying but I was just happy I didn't have to squat each time. Several girls admitted jealousy to my little trick as they passed. All I kept thinking was "get to Ron, get to Ron. All will be better when you see Ron". Well that and "damn, I have to pee again". "F------k, my foot! I hate these roots". Those were all of the thoughts for this ~1 hour venture.

Loop 3 - Break
RON!!!!!!!!!! Oh wait...I mean, I was a normal runner and ran through the chute...ha - no way....RON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's Ron, I was SO very happy to see him. I looked around and my entire support crew was there! I was so happy to see everyone and gave them all nasty stinky hugs (I can’t even imagine how stinky I was by then) but Ron had been on my mind for the past hour as I knew he'd get me through this next section of run. I stopped at my bag. Andy had some hot chicken broth for me (YUM! I bring my own to ensure it's gluten free - last thing I need is an allergy attack on the run). We changed my shoes (time for some larger shoes to hold my ever expanding feet) and socks (thanks Ron - those were some nasty gross feet), spraying them down with tri-slide before putting on new socks. Deep blue, bio freeze and a turkey pickle. I switched out packs to my backpack, Ron took my next bag of cookies and gummy bears, we said goodbye and took off into the darkness.

Loop 4 - Dogwood to Nature Center
Wow, what a difference a friend makes! Ron and I did all of our IMTX training together and all of our rides for probably years before. Since IMTX I just don't see him as much so it was so good to be running with him. He was of course in emergency responder / dad mode and taking very good care of me, but at the same time we were simply laughing and having a great time. So great in fact that after what seemed like 10 minutes we turned a corner and there was the aid station. I was almost sad to see it!

Loop 4 - Nature Center to Dam Nation
I said goodbye to Ron and hello (again) to Will. We ran off into the darkness, I was very jealous of how bright his headlamp was! Deep in the woods I kept stubbing my toes and saying “ouch”. Finally fed up, Will threatened (offered?) that for every time I stubbed my toe I would have to remove an item of clothing. It was still warm and humid so I asked if this was a threat or promise. I didn’t realize there were 2 male runners immediately ahead that we were closing in on and the runner made a comment about loving the idea. His pacer (ahead of him) said “do you know her?” His response: “no, but a woman removing clothes out as we go would really help keep me going”. Ha!!!!

Loop 4 - Dam Nation Loop
We got to Dam Nation rather quickly (or so it felt) and without much incident. We stopped at the aid station so I could eat and do whatever needed to be done (I’m forgetful about what happened from here on out, but forgive me, I was 66 miles in). We then took off and I started having trouble keeping up with Will. He’d go off just ahead and wait for me. I did my best to keep up. We ran anything runnable in the dark and walked the uphills or overly rooty areas. At one point the conversation got TIR dirty (questions about my protein and gu needs, you can take it from there) and the girls behind us clued in to what we were talking about and started laughing hysterically. As we were nearing the aid station I finally started to feel a bit tired. I looked at my watch and we were 19 hours in so I actually felt better realizing I was just a little tired and I was 19 hours in. Go me! We arrived at the aid station and re-fueled, planning the next leg.

Loop 4 - Dam Nation to Park Road
This part is runnable but a bit uphill. I started to feel my calves a bit (first time – OMG!) but it went away very quickly. I was still trying my best to keep running and keep up with Will.

Loop 4 - Park Road to Dogwood
Last leg with Will. For some reason I was getting super duper bitchy here. Even I could tell I was being a bitch. Will’s nickname for me is “sunshine” and we had commented earlier to some other runners that if I wasn’t smiling something was seriously wrong. Unfortunately, we didn’t think to listen to ourselves in this manner! I was just use this leg and getting worse (ie: bitchier and bitchier). I was so happy to get to the finish line area. I was so grateful Will had been with me almost this entire loop, but I was also ready to be done with this stinkin’ run or at least be on my last loop.

Loop 4 – Break
This was the single scary part of the race for me. I needed to continue wearing my backpack for this loop as it held my sternum light. I went to the aid station to have them fill my bag, then planned to head to my drop bag. As they were trying to figure out how it worked, I heard myself trying to explain it to them but my words were coming out jumbled and gurgly. This started scaring me. Then I started feeling like I couldn't stand up much longer. I saw them carrying a girl on a stretcher covered in blankets and as I blacked out I thought "please don't let that be me...please don't let that be me". I was still standing holding onto the table when I heard them say they were done with my bag. I think I thanked them (I know I tried to) and my sight was blurry but I thought I could get to my drop bag. I started staggering, unable to walk, just falling from side to side when I saw Andy. As the ringing started in my ears and I knew my race was over I called out and he guided me to the bag where I collapsed onto the ground.

He had brought me chicken broth (I had requested some at this point in the race in my pre-race plan) and I chugged it. INSTANTLY I felt better. My words were normal again, my eyesight came back. I kept resting and drinking the broth. I'm not sure what else happened here - they loaded me up and helped me to my feet. I was walking ok! I felt ok! I realized it might get cold on this loop (the forecast said if it rained the temps would drop) and luckily remembered to ask for my long sleeved top. They stuffed it in my bag and handed me off to Rachel. They also handed her my chicken broth and instructed her to make me drink every walk break, alternating that and water. Will handed me his awesome headlamp (much brighter than mine) and it was time to go.

Loop 5 - Dogwood to Nature Center
Rachel and I have lived together for over a year, we’ve done tons of rides together yet we’d only run once together – and that was training for this race! It was so nice to run along chatting and laughing with her. I was feeling 110% better and knew at this point as long as I hydrated correctly I’d make it. I realized that I had been so focused on trying to keep with Will the last few legs that I hadn’t been eating or drinking along the way!!! I should have realized that I had stopped peeing during the Dogwood loop. I was relieved at the time as I had been peeing every 15 minutes or so. I went too far the other way. Rachel and I were running along happily chatting when the worst happened. Tummy issues ugh!! I knew we were close to the aid station and there was a can there. I kept pushing and pushing and finally cried uncle and ducked behind a tree for the worst. Then we took off again and of course, just around the next bend was the aid station. I thanked and said goodbye to Rachel and went into the bathroom while there before taking off into the woods again.

Loop 5 - Nature Center to Dam Nation
Jerry joined me for this last long section – he’d get me back to Park Road and hand me off to my dad. We ran along chatting and before I knew it we were at Dam Nation.

Loop 5 - Dam Nation Loop
At the aid station I was a bit upset (more concerned really) because they had run out of batteries for us. I had some in my bag but it wasn’t enough for both of us. Jerry assured me it was ok, we had enough to get back to this station and by then we wouldn’t need headlamps anymore. It was there where I got incredibly insulted – I asked him just how long he was expecting me to take for this 6 miles? I’d been running consistently and wasn’t planning to stop now! He said less than 2 hours and so I asked why he would think the sun might rise. He then pointed out it was ~5:00 in the morning – what time did I think it was? I was shocked, somehow I thought we were still around the midnight mark! We put my long-sleeves on as it was getting just slightly chilly and I didn’t want to get cold and headed off. I was walking and trying to eat one of my last turkey pickles but found myself choking. I simply couldn’t swallow the dry turkey anymore. Oh well, we were close enough to the end I could push through on zero nutrition if I had to. But, I still had some things to suck on or if desperate I had gu.

We ran and ran and chatted. He kept reminding me every 5 minutes to eat and drink (as did Rachel earlier) and I was in good spirits, well hydrated and well fueled. Then the happiest moment of the race hit – it got light out!!! I was so happy to see the sun I immediately pulled the headlamp off of my head. My pace and spirit picked up with the sun and suddenly we were within site of the aid station. Then, within eyesite of it the rain started and the temps dropped over 10 degrees instantly. Like in a second I went from perfectly comfortable to tooth-chattering freezing! We stopped and Jerry dug my poncho out of my bag for me. I put it on and it helped so much. Then we were back at the aid station. Re-fueled as best I could, Jerry put on his poncho, we secured the hood of my poncho to me and went off for our last 4 miles together.

Loop 5 - Dam Nation to Park Road
Oh, it was so very cold. But, the end was near. I could do this…I was still not cocky. They had congratulated me at the last aid station but I told them it was too early yet. I met a girl who broke her ankle and had to drop out in the 90+ mile range so I was taking nothing for granted. I did give one of the volunteers a big hug – he was giving them to everyone and I’m not going to pass up a hug!

Jerry and I ran and walked along through the rain. I was mad at myself because despite packing the kitchen sink I only had pants at the front, not the middle and my legs were so very cold. However, I still wasn’t tired. I hadn’t had any caffeine. My legs were freezing but the muscles felt good. I was starting to get a little emotional but still ok.

Loop 5 - Park Road almost to Dogwood
With a final turn and a cross of the street there it was – the very last aid station. I was so happy to see it I almost cried. However, the joy turned to fear as I couldn’t find my dad! He was supposed to run this leg with me and I’d been looking forward to it since I signed up for this race. Jerry said not to worry, he’d run with me if he had to. I completely appreciated it, but I wanted to run with my dad. As I panicked and was using the phone of one of the aid station volunteers there Andy was, he said my dad was right behind him. I stopped dialing and rejoiced. I thanked Jerry profusely (seriously, like all of my pacers and cheerers I simply could not have done this without them) and my dad and I headed off. My dad wanted to know if I had to walk, I did not. I was so happy, so ready to go! We ran and walked the hills. He kept reminding me to eat/drink and we ran along talking. Part way through I was simply done eating so I grabbed a jolly rancher. It turned out to be a blue one – yum! It made a great post-race conversation when Lori freaked out wondering why my tongue was blue :)

We kept running and I was getting happier and happier. Every step was another step closer, my dream was so close to becoming a reality but I didn’t want to take it for granted. Anything could still happen. However, my emotions were starting to get the best of me. I was getting teary eyed as we paralleled the road. I told my dad and he said to go ahead and cry, I had earned it. I told him I was scared to, I needed to see so I didn’t trip!

Loop 5 - Finish line
As I saw the house that indicated we were at the last turn I could no longer hold back the tears. They came streaming down my face. As we turned the corner we started laughing. I was laughing and crying hysterically all at once. My dad grabbed my hand and we ran hand-in-hand down the finishers chute. I cried the entire way and if possible cried even harder at the site of my husband, my mom and my very best friends on the sidelines waiting for me. They had gotten me through this in ways I could never express. A very sweet volunteer woman put her arm around me and congratulated me. She told my dad to take off my chip but I fell into him crying instead. Then he took off my chip Joe the race director handed me my belt buckle and shook my hand. Through tears I tried to thank him. They tried to get me into the tent with the space heater but I had something more important to do. I had to go hug and thank my support crew. Even though Lori and Robi were injured and couldn't run they were out there all night in the cold and rain. Will, Rachel and Jerry stayed out in the cold rain for hours after their legs were over. Ron had gone home but he had come out to Huntsville in the middle of the night for me. My mom doesn't run but she slept in a cold car to cheer me on. And Andy had organized everyone, kept them on point and barely slept to help me get to the finish. I am a very lucky girl to have such wonderful friends in my life. I was so proud of myself and so happy, but these people were on my mind as I was crying. They say it takes a village, and this did. I'm so grateful I had the ability both physically and mentally to accomplish this. I'm proud of myself for my perseverance and how well I handled this race. And I'm just so happy for the entire experience and all of those I shared it with.

Post race

Last updated: 2014-02-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 100 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-03-05 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile

2014-03-08 10:20 PM
in reply to: #4960142

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile
Fantastic read! And congrats on making it through so well. Hats off to you and to your crew.
2014-03-08 10:22 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Fantastic read! And congrats on making it through so well. Hats off to you and to your crew.
2014-03-12 1:11 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Such an epic read! Congrats, I loved the ending

2014-03-12 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Great job!

I know what these events are all about, so I fully understand the challenges and emotions involved. And yes, you take nothing for granted, because anything can happen.

BTW, concerning the TMI aspects: To be successful in ultra events you do what you gotta do and there's a lot that goes on; trust me, I've seen it all (or least most of it).
2014-03-12 4:41 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Wow, how exciting!  Congratulations!

2014-03-13 10:36 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

the emotion of finishing a 100 miler is unbelievable!  congrats on joining the club with an impressive effort and amazing support crew!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile

Started by djastroman
Views: 2160 Posts: 10

2013-02-11 3:47 PM jimmy3993

Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile

Started by jkholden
Views: 1639 Posts: 9

2013-02-09 12:49 PM g_shotts

Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile Trail Run (DNF)

Started by jkron
Views: 2609 Posts: 11

2010-02-23 4:18 PM kvesey

Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile Trail Run

Started by Pilgrim
Views: 1261 Posts: 2

2009-03-23 8:31 AM BigDH

Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile Trail Run Pages: 1 2

Started by grbfrog
Views: 4426 Posts: 30

2009-02-15 9:32 PM KSH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 15, 2013
author : JeffY
comments : 0
JeffY reviews this rear water bottle carrier on a variety of saddles.

date : February 1, 2012
author : XLAB Hydration
comments : 2
Less drag than frame bottles
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.