General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ithaca, New York
United States
Ithaca Triathlon Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 40s
Overall Rank = 99/200
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

Nearly overslept due to late retrieval of very inebriated husband!! Woke just before 5, grabbed my gatorade, water and bars and hopped in the already packed car. Arrive at the race around 6:30.
Event warmup:

None, but I thought about it...oh, and I ran a hilly 20K yesterday, about 30 seconds/mile faster than my long run pace, but not race pace at alll. Felt a little sore from the two enormous hills on that course.
Swim
  • 29m 2s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

I swam slightly more aggressively at the beginning than in my other two races. I did run a couple people over, but the wave was small (women, 64, and relay, about 30) and soon I was in open water. The course markings were easy to follow and after a minute or two I really settled into a nice groove. I didn't push it, I'm still so concerned about having enough to finish that I don't really push it until the run, but today I think I could have pushed it a little. I caught the previous wave about 3/4 of the way through. The actual swim portion was just over 27 minutes, with a decent run to the timing mat for transition. The wetsuit was great, although I was a little hot.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder, and get more tinted goggles, mine are not dark enough for the very bright sun and I was really happy that I can breathe well on both sides so as to not blind myself!
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

I'm just slow at this. The wetsuit came off pretty easy, but my giant feet are a problem. I used plenty of body glide, but still is hard. And I can't get on my bike fast for anything!!

I have to learn to mount quickly!
Bike
  • 1h 27m 45s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.99 mile/hr
Comments:

The course begins with a long climb and I did this well, just spinning and actually passing some people, from there to the turn around is mostly down hill with one severe turn at the bottom of a hill. I was concerned about the speed and the corner, so slowed up considerably and got passed here. I didn't realize it going out, but once we turned we had quite a headwind and I just couldn't fight it well. I guess I just didn't take as much advantage of the first half of the course and my legs were not cooperating with me on the second half. Plus, I made the error of freezing my gatorade and it didn't thaw completely so I didn't get as much to drink as I would have liked. I'm really disappointed in myself, this is the worst part for me and I don't feel that I'm getting any better.

More time on the bike and don't run hilly 20K races the day before you have to ride a hilly course!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I thought this went well. I didn't take my feet out, not sure why, I guess with the big down hill at the finish and the winding path to the dismount line I never felt that I had a good chance. Still it was good, because we ended next to the grassy area I was able to run well and into the transition are (also grass) with out any problems.
Run
  • 51m 45s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were toast!! Why did I run yesterday?! Anyway, as I ran out T2 I saw that my time was exactly 2 hours. I had 50 minutes for this 10K if I was to break my goal. Certainly doable but unlikely. The run went twisty turny thru lumpy grass and crushed rock trail with lots of turns and slow downs. We had to go single file over the bridges and slowly up the steps. I'm pretty sure if this had been straight and on paved roads I could have had the 50. I ran as hard as I could reasonably go, drinking at each aid station until the last 2 miles. I passed several people but it was hard to tell who was on their first or second lap.

Not run a race the day before!
Post race
Warm down:

ICE CREAM!! Vanilla with peanut butter, chocolate sauce and a banana. I walked to the beach while eating it and when it was gone went into the water to cool off. Felt awesome!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The race yesterday was a limiter, even though I didn't run hard, it was hilly and I ran harder than I should have, also slept very little due to husband's best friend's annual barbecue that never ends. I didn't drink but didn't get home til 1. And that whole thing were I suck on the bike!

Event comments:

This race was awesome, the volunteers and organizers were pletiful and helpful and knowledgable. It ran like clock work! Plus, who doesn't love peanut butter and ice cream?!

Last updated: 2006-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:02 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 67/200
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: out and back, well marked
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:59
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:27:45 | 24.85 miles | 16.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 152/200
Wind: Headwind
Course: out and back with a loop at the turn around
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:45 | 06.21 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 12/200
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops of grass and trail with two bridges and two sets of stairs
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-07 6:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Subject: Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-08-07 9:07 AM
in reply to: #503771

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Hey Kimberly!

Great race, particularly on top of Saturday's race and the festivities of the night before. Looks like you had a lot of fun!

Rob
2006-08-07 2:06 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Well done! Great times for having done a 20k the day before.
2006-08-07 2:21 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Nice race...whew...a 20k the day before; that would have slowed me down a little :-) Good job!
2006-08-07 9:20 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Nice looking race.  Wish we could met up there.  That hill does sap you a little first thing. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed