General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finally road my tri bike for the first time. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-07 11:50 AM

User image

Subject: Finally road my tri bike for the first time.
Bought a used 2010 Cervelo P1 all the way back in November for a pretty good price. Normal bike is a 2011 Trek 1.1 road bike. I wasn't able to ride the P1 a single time after I bought it due to other training commitments over the winter (marathon and first ultra marathon). Finally road it a few times this week (3 20-22mi rides). Some thoughts:

1) Aerobars. First time ever riding on aerobars. Scary for the first 20 minutes or so but I ended up taking to them very quickly and, amazingly, I find riding on the aero bars to be MUCH more comfortable than riding on my regular road bike configuration. Putting most of my weight on my elbows/forearms on the P1 feels so much better than putting a bunch of pressure on my hands on the road bike. Can't stress enough how much this helps my overall comfort level.

2) Geometry. I'm not a cyclist so I don't know all the ins and outs but I do know that my quads don't feel anywhere NEAR as burnt after a hard ride on this bike as they do on the road bike. I can really mash for a long time without feeling the severe lactic burn. I can get off the bike and walk comfortably too, though I haven't run yet.

3) Impossible to drink from my bottle on this thing while moving.

4) Scarier in traffic for sure. I definitely prepare for intersections earlier on this thing since the brakes aren't at my fingertips.

5) Cross winds seems to have more direct effect on overall stability than on the Trek. Can't imagine what riding this thing with disc wheels would feel like in high winds.

6) Neck pain. This is the only area that is worse than the Trek. Neck is pretty sore by the end of the ride but I think it may be related to not having my helmet properly fitted to my head. Strap is not tight and the brim of the helmet tends to drop on my forehead while in aero, requiring me to crane my head even further up to see ahead.
All in all I'm very pleased with this transition. I expected it to be much harder to adapt to the new setup since I'm not really a cyclist (I've had my Trek less than 2 years). I'm finding the P1 to be much more comfortable to ride than the Trek and it feels much faster as well (I haven't ridden a single time in ~6mo and my first time out on the P1 I was almost 2mph faster avg pace).

Not too bad for $600!

2014-03-07 12:03 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Finally road my tri bike for the first time.

I've heard the tri bike steering refered to as "twitchy", especially at the beginning of the learning curve. It sounds like you feel the same. Is that a safe assumption on my part?

2014-03-07 1:16 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Originally posted by cdban66

I've heard the tri bike steering refered to as "twitchy", especially at the beginning of the learning curve. It sounds like you feel the same. Is that a safe assumption on my part?

I think the steering feels "twitchy" on whatever bike you're not used to...

I recently borrowed my friend's road bike to do some races where tri bike weren't allowed...The first thing I noticed was how twitchy the steering felt. I think my friend said the same thing. lol!
2014-03-07 1:18 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Indeed, not bad for $600!

I have C7 issues with my neck, besides riding more, I found doing prone planks and slowly tilting my head up and down while doing it helps a lot with the neck & upper shoulder support muscles.

Are you doing the Pineappleman race in June?

2014-03-07 1:28 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
I always knew it was possible to tri a road bike, but I never knew it was possible to road a tri bike.
2014-03-07 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4961425

User image

Drat! Stupid auto correct! :-(

2014-03-07 1:34 PM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Reaching for a water bottle on the seat or down tube is terrible while on aero bars. I tried that once. Only once. Since then, I ziptied the water bottle cage to my stem. BTA is the way to go. I can grab some GU from the bento box and drink without ever getting out of the aero bars.

My first few rides on the tri bike left me with a sore neck. A lot of neck stretches will help.

The steering will get comfortable with time.

I registered for all of the Brevard County races except for Pineapple Man  (out of town) and Rocketman  (can't justify the price - it's more expensive than USAT AG Nationals WTF?).

2014-03-07 2:37 PM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

I wouldn't say the steering is too twitchy for me. Pretty comfortable. I may end up getting one of those water bottle that go between your aero bars. They're pretty expensive though so I dunno. Wife wasn't amped about me buying the bike to begin with. Lol.

I'm registered for the Ron Jon in Apr, signing up for Pineappleman here shortly. Not too sure about the Rocketman after my experience last year. I know it was a new race but after the fiasco with the permits all the way up to the end, ugly run through the gnarliest part of Titusville, bike route that was several miles longer than advertised and the insanely long check in period with a huge single file line I just don't know if I want to go down that road again. Is it more expensive than last year too? It seemed pretty expensive already.

I was supposed to go do the ITU Chicago race this summer but due to some work related stuff I may not be able to go now so I gotta get some stuff on the calendar for summer. I'll surely do the Battle of the Bridges to wrap things up, though I'm considering the HIM FL if it's still open. Dunno.
2014-03-07 2:46 PM

User image

RE: Rocketman -

From this years website:
"A significant part of the entry fee is due to our agreement requirement to buy a full price Kennedy Space Center Visitor Center tour ticket ($53.00) for each entrant who rides onto the secured grounds of the Kennedy Space Center. Each individual registrant will receive a single day ticket to KSC, valid for 1 year. A single ticket will also be give to each relay team (not each team member). Additional tickets can be purchased at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex."

WTF? Lol.
2014-03-07 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD
Originally posted by aliddle9876

4) Scarier in traffic for sure. I definitely prepare for intersections earlier on this thing since the brakes aren't at my fingertips.

If you are riding in traffic, your brakes should be at your fingertips. There are times and places for practicing aero position, riding in traffic is not one of them.
2014-03-07 3:23 PM
in reply to: nhunter344

User image

By traffic I mean, whenever there are cars around, like intersections or a vehicle passing me. If you mean don't ride in aero when moving vehicles are in the vicinity then that's a tall order.

2014-03-07 3:37 PM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Originally posted by aliddle9876 RE: Rocketman - From this years website: "A significant part of the entry fee is due to our agreement requirement to buy a full price Kennedy Space Center Visitor Center tour ticket ($53.00) for each entrant who rides onto the secured grounds of the Kennedy Space Center. Each individual registrant will receive a single day ticket to KSC, valid for 1 year. A single ticket will also be give to each relay team (not each team member). Additional tickets can be purchased at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex." WTF? Lol.

I emailed them about that. I have an annual pass to KSC, but they still have to charge me for admission. $175 to run through Titusville just doesn't add up. Though the picture of me riding past the VAB is cool, I can just take a picture of the VAB and Photoshop myself in for free. 

2014-03-07 3:53 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by cdban66

A tribike will feel twitchier than a road bike because it is more stable and therefore requires longer to respond to inputs. This often results in an inexperienced rider oversteering and the bike feeling twitchy as a result.

Shane
2014-03-07 3:54 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
2014-03-07 8:40 PM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Originally posted by vertseven
I emailed them about that. I have an annual pass to KSC, but they still have to charge me for admission. $175 to run through Titusville just doesn't add up. Though the picture of me riding past the VAB is cool, I can just take a picture of the VAB and Photoshop myself in for free. 

Interestingly the price was the same last year if I recall and we were told to buy our own tickets to KSC...
2014-03-10 2:38 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by aliddle9876

3) Impossible to drink from my bottle on this thing while moving.

I agree. I went with a Profile Design system that mounts between the aero bars. I never have to move to get a drink. I'll probably step up to this system in the next couple of months. But dump the cage mount water bottles for one of these and you'll never go back.

http://www.trisports.com/xlab-torpedo-system-400.html

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finally road my tri bike for the first time. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Time Difference b/w Tri-Bike and Road Bike

Started by kp73
Views: 5173 Posts: 7

2017-04-02 4:47 PM gsmacleod

Road a road bike for the first time in 2+ years

Started by cstoulil
Views: 1281 Posts: 4

2012-10-01 12:55 PM beebs

Adjustment time from road bike to tri bike

Started by triclyde74
Views: 1654 Posts: 14

2011-12-22 11:18 AM triclyde74

First time on a road bike with clip on shoes

Started by dfercha
Views: 1002 Posts: 10

2007-06-06 11:08 AM 1stTimeTri

First road bike... two monthes till first tri

Started by Bajapat
Views: 1153 Posts: 7

2007-04-13 9:58 AM tkbslc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 15, 2008
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.