General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Registration Fees (You get what you pay for) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-07 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Race Registration Fees (You get what you pay for)
I often times hear people talking about reg fees being too high, etc. then turn around after a race and complain about what went wrong. Sometimes people ask for too much with only giving too little. I think many people fail to understand just how much it takes to put on a great race (seriously I would like someone to list ALL of the expenses that go into a race, lots of hidden ones people fail to remember), and the costs associated with that race. Thought about this a bit this morning and compared two races (HIM's) that I have done that are both well known and put on by independent companies that are different from one another.

Registration for $250: (Sells out within a month)
Race
Shirt
Wetsuit strippers
Goody Bag
Well equipped aid stations throughout course
Well marked course from start to finish
Post race beer/food tent/sometimes live music
Great atmosphere for entire weekend
USAT Certified course (proper amount of lifeguards, accuracy of course, USAT officials on course, etc)
Hotel discounts

Registration for $125 race: (Register up to day of race)
Poorly marked course
Leaders usually have unmanned aid stations
Lack of volunteer support
Not USAT certified (lack of lifeguards, course accuracy, few officials, etc)
Goody bag
Hotel discount

See where I am going with this?

You pay for what you get, you want a less expensive race, then expect more to go wrong, especially on the safety side.

This is not to say races are not ran 100% perfectly at higher paid races, sometimes RD's make mistakes, we are all human, but usually its the RD"s at cheaper races that intentionally cut corners versus the RD's at more expensive races that simply make mistakes.

This is simply just a reminder as you register for races soon!

2014-03-07 12:49 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Subject: RE: Race Registration Fees (You get what you pay for)

You forgot to add the cost of permits, traffic saftey equipment (cones, signs, etc.), and police support to monitor traffic at intersections.  To me, those are the biggest "hidden" costs.  You'd be amazed at how much it costs to lay out 100-200 cones on the road.

2014-03-07 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Here's what I'd like:

well marked, good/fun/whatever course(USAT Cert)

chip timed

great volunteers

adequate on course aid

That's it. Keep the shirts, the swag bag, the free samples, the wetsuit strippers (they are all volunteers anyway), the post race fluff (it's too crowded and the lines are too long anyway), and everything else. Just give me a good race, simple. After the race I'm more than happy to go find my entertainment at a local bar/restaurant with my mates which is what we always do, even when the race has a big after race party. 

2014-03-07 12:59 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jason N

You forgot to add the cost of permits, traffic saftey equipment (cones, signs, etc.), and police support to monitor traffic at intersections.  To me, those are the biggest "hidden" costs.  You'd be amazed at how much it costs to lay out 100-200 cones on the road.

I never really listed the hidden costs just made a mention of all of what it entails. Many people get upset and list their formulas for what races in pull with reg fees x participants - expenses and then fail to list even half the expenses.

At IMWI WTC rents out the entire Monona Terrace for a full week, that is NOT cheap. Just like paying many volunteer groups for a charity or fund to come to races. As are the hidden costs in all the gas needed for the vehicles the week of the race, COURSE SAFETY!!!!. Cleanup costs a fair amount of money too and I have never seen that mentioned either.

Race fees are never fun to look at but when I register for races and see a high fee I think why that might be, look at what people say and then realize it is a far more quality race then others.

Just thought I would pass this along as sometimes I think people fail to look at the big picture and just think RD's are in it to make some money, which in the end they are, but usually their passion or the sport comes first.
2014-03-07 12:59 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

We ain't cheap....cones are heavy.

2014-03-07 1:02 PM

Originally posted by bcagle25

Race
Shirt
Wetsuit strippers
Goody Bag
USAT Certified course (proper amount of lifeguards, accuracy of course, USAT officials on course, etc)
Hotel discounts

Poorly marked course
Goody bag
Hotel discount

I see where you are going you got to race in the first one but not the 2nd one

2014-03-07 1:11 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Sidney Porter

Race
Shirt
Wetsuit strippers
Goody Bag
Hotel discounts

Poorly marked course
Goody bag
Hotel discount

I see where you are going you got to race in the first one but not the 2nd one

haha well played
2014-03-07 3:54 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

I was surprised to learn that at least for some of my local races, my county pays for the police overtime -- not the RD/ race organization.

2014-03-07 4:49 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Pro

Originally posted by trishie

I was surprised to learn that at least for some of my local races, my county pays for the police overtime -- not the RD/ race organization.

It may be hidden in the permit fees,  and those fees are frequently dependent on if roads are completely closed, intersections manned by Officers, etc.  Most county/municipal govts. are not in the business of paying overtime if the money can be recouped.  The other deal is, depending on the day and time of the race, OT may not be required. (Sunday morning races are pretty easily staffed with normal manpower)

Our permit fees are always race dependent.

2014-03-07 5:12 PM

Not disagreeing what what you said, but I (my own personal preference, I'm sure it's different for others) honestly much prefer more races be like the $125 affair.

I don't need most of the fancy features, and I would actually much prefer a race that you can wait till a reasonable 3-4 weeks prior to race day to sign up for, just in case you have unforeseen injuries, illnesses or other life circumstances. In running events, you can usually find such other races, but its' def been harder to find triathlons that fit the bill without a ton of travel in comparison.

2014-03-07 9:17 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Originally posted by yazmaster

Not disagreeing what what you said, but I (my own personal preference, I'm sure it's different for others) honestly much prefer more races be like the $125 affair.

I don't need most of the fancy features, and I would actually much prefer a race that you can wait till a reasonable 3-4 weeks prior to race day to sign up for, just in case you have unforeseen injuries, illnesses or other life circumstances. In running events, you can usually find such other races, but its' def been harder to find triathlons that fit the bill without a ton of travel in comparison.

I agree with the timing of signing up! With a family it's hard to plan on more then 3 or 4 races a year 6 months out. Even then it's a crap shoot. I have a hard time paying almost double for a race a few weeks prior. Ends up limiting how many I do a year.

2014-03-07 11:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Same here, at our Sheriff's Department, we actually volunteer on duty and get paid by the county. WTC does not pay a dime for our support.

Edited by AndyEWU07 2014-03-07 11:16 PM
2014-03-07 11:25 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Pro

Originally posted by AndyEWU07

Same here, at our Sheriff's Department, we actually volunteer on duty and get paid by the county. WTC does not pay a dime for our support.

How do you "volunteer" to get paid.  I know that sounds sarcastic, but that's not the intent.....we do the same job and I'm wondering how that works with budgets.

2014-03-08 3:27 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

How do you "volunteer" to get paid.  I know that sounds sarcastic, but that's not the intent.....we do the same job and I'm wondering how that works with budgets.

At the Sheriff's Office I work for, we have sign up sheets, for overtime, to work Ironman and other local races. The Sheriff's Office does not recoup money spent on overtime from the races. I'm not saying our County does not get money back from permits or other sources. Bad wording on my part? I can volunteer for overtime duty for races if I desire... Usually I don't because I prefer racing over paying more taxes with my extra pay.
2014-03-08 5:54 PM

User image

Pro

At the Sheriff's Office I work for, we have sign up sheets, for overtime, to work Ironman and other local races. The Sheriff's Office does not recoup money spent on overtime from the races. I'm not saying our County does not get money back from permits or other sources. Bad wording on my part? I can volunteer for overtime duty for races if I desire... Usually I don't because I prefer racing over paying more taxes with my extra pay.

Being involved with govt. budgets, I can tell you that it's highly unlikely that your county is not recouping the OT pay for you guys through permit fees. 

2014-03-08 7:22 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Being involved with govt. budgets, I can tell you that it's highly unlikely that your county is not recouping the OT pay for you guys through permit fees. 

As stated above, I'm not saying that our County is not... Our Sheriff's Office is not. Our budget is public record and available online. No where in there will you find anything about recouping money spent on OT. We didn't charge the Vietnam Verterans Memorial Fund when the wall came into town for a weekend and we provided armed security for the wall 24 hours a day... We don't charge the small city that hosts a small sprint triathlon of 300 athletes which traffic control is provided by two Deputies... I'm sure the County Administration who issues permits are getting money which goes to the County budget and not the Sheriff's Office budget.

2014-03-08 7:34 PM

User image

Pro

As stated above, I'm not saying that our County is not... Our Sheriff's Office is not. Our budget is public record and available online. No where in there will you find anything about recouping money spent on OT. We didn't charge the Vietnam Verterans Memorial Fund when the wall came into town for a weekend and we provided armed security for the wall 24 hours a day... We don't charge the small city that hosts a small sprint triathlon of 300 athletes which traffic control is provided by two Deputies... I'm sure the County Administration who issues permits are getting money which goes to the County budget and not the Sheriff's Office budget.

It's govt. money.....your department budget comes from the county....it's ALL accounted for.  My department doesn't get money from RD's either....but our OT budget, which comes from the local govt., is based on past and anticipated needs.  No, your department doesn't get money......but your department doesn't operate outside the county budget....and they get paid, believe it.

2014-03-08 9:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

It's govt. money.....your department budget comes from the county....it's ALL accounted for.  My department doesn't get money from RD's either....but our OT budget, which comes from the local govt., is based on past and anticipated needs.  No, your department doesn't get money......but your department doesn't operate outside the county budget....and they get paid, believe it.

Edited by AndyEWU07 2014-03-08 9:44 PM
2014-03-09 7:09 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Totally disagree with you. Maybe in your sample size of two, but I have seen, participated in, and officiated several half-iron distance races in this region that include most of the things on your list, some even better (swag, food, support, atmosphere) than the WTC races I have worked. It depends more on the quality, dedication, and profit motive of the race management than the entry fee per se. WTC charges a premium on their race that has nothing to do with the quality because they can, because of the establishment of the brand and the willingness of the triathlete herd to pay.

Although not at the 70.3 level, I proved this myself by directing a sprint triathlon providing all of the amenities you list for <$50 when other sprints in the area were charging $85. We grew participation from 140 to 340 over the two years i directed the race and raised thousands for our nonprofits each year.

2014-03-09 1:48 PM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Good insight.
I cringe every time I hear "you get what you pay for" or approximately the opposite: cheap cannot be high quality.
2014-03-09 2:01 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

I don't agree with this at all.

Triathlon is predominantly a rich mans sport where people are less price sensitive and that fact is exploited all over the place. From equipment, to coaches, to training camps and certainly race events.

By entering the more expensive races you get a more pampered day out where you don't have to think for yourself and everything is taken care of. In the cheaper events you might have to take your own wetsuit off, turn up early to check out transition and familiarise yourself with the route. If you get a mechanical, you might have to find your own way back and you won't have a menu at aid stations - you might even have to carry some calories yourself.

I've taken part in dozens of both types of race across Europe and I tend to do cheaper ones in the UK where I can deal with some of the issues that might come up and I pay out the extra for European races to reduce the impact of things going wrong.

I'm sure it's very expensive and very stressful to put a race on, whether it's a small local affair or a top end IM event and i'm glad I don't have to do it.

But whatever you pay, safety should not be an area that can be compromised.

2014-03-09 2:53 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Dan-L I don't agree with this at all. Triathlon is predominantly a rich mans sport where people are less price sensitive and that fact is exploited all over the place. From equipment, to coaches, to training camps and certainly race events. By entering the more expensive races you get a more pampered day out where you don't have to think for yourself and everything is taken care of. In the cheaper events you might have to take your own wetsuit off, turn up early to check out transition and familiarise yourself with the route. If you get a mechanical, you might have to find your own way back and you won't have a menu at aid stations - you might even have to carry some calories yourself. I've taken part in dozens of both types of race across Europe and I tend to do cheaper ones in the UK where I can deal with some of the issues that might come up and I pay out the extra for European races to reduce the impact of things going wrong. I'm sure it's very expensive and very stressful to put a race on, whether it's a small local affair or a top end IM event and i'm glad I don't have to do it. But whatever you pay, safety should not be an area that can be compromised.

There is truth in there.  We spend our year taking the kids to race the youth/jr elite series.  No awards past overall podium, no schwag, closed courses, pro level transitions areas, ambulances on scene, plenty of aid stations.....75.00 per race....and only 300 kids max.  Somehow they are able to provide TOP NOTCH races.

2014-03-09 6:59 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by the bear

Totally disagree with you. Maybe in your sample size of two, but I have seen, participated in, and officiated several half-iron distance races in this region that include most of the things on your list, some even better (swag, food, support, atmosphere) than the WTC races I have worked. It depends more on the quality, dedication, and profit motive of the race management than the entry fee per se. WTC charges a premium on their race that has nothing to do with the quality because they can, because of the establishment of the brand and the willingness of the triathlete herd to pay.

Although not at the 70.3 level, I proved this myself by directing a sprint triathlon providing all of the amenities you list for <$50 when other sprints in the area were charging $85. We grew participation from 140 to 340 over the two years i directed the race and raised thousands for our nonprofits each year.

Hmmm. Comparing a sprint to an Ironman is not an even playing field. Ironman races have 2500+ the race you mentioned had under 500. Ironman races go through several counties/cities/villages, sprints usually are raced in one town. The bigger and longer the race the more equipment, manpower, etc is needed.

Just some questions I have for you:
Did your race donate money to charities for volunteer groups?
Did your race have the required amount of lifeguards on the water?
How many vehicles gas did you have to pay for to setup, run, and breakdown the race?
How many individual permits did you have to pay for?
How much equipment did you need t rent and what was the cost?

The reason I compared those two races were that they are very similar in what is needed and required for them to setup and execute the race. If you could find me a HIM for that price with all the quality, and safety then I would agree with your disagreement, but not with a sprint.
2014-03-10 6:47 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by the bear

Hmmm. Comparing a sprint to an Ironman is not an even playing field. Ironman races have 2500+ the race you mentioned had under 500. Ironman races go through several counties/cities/villages, sprints usually are raced in one town. The bigger and longer the race the more equipment, manpower, etc is needed. Just some questions I have for you: Did your race donate money to charities for volunteer groups? Did your race have the required amount of lifeguards on the water? How many vehicles gas did you have to pay for to setup, run, and breakdown the race? How many individual permits did you have to pay for? How much equipment did you need t rent and what was the cost? The reason I compared those two races were that they are very similar in what is needed and required for them to setup and execute the race. If you could find me a HIM for that price with all the quality, and safety then I would agree with your disagreement, but not with a sprint.

I'm not comparing a sprint to an Ironman, I'm comparing independent halfs in the region with the WTC's in the regions that I have worked. It was two HIMs you compared in your OP, right? I threw out the sprint that I was RD for as a comparison to other local sprints at significant higher costs as an example of how a well-run race can be put on at a significant lower cost. I understand a sprint is at a smaller scale than an Ironman, which is why I compared it to other sprints.

Your questions:

Did your race donate money to charities for volunteer groups? Yes. All of our net proceeds went to non-profits. My Rotary club and the site's HOA provided tremendous volunteer support and were beneficiaries of the race.

Did your race have the required amount of lifeguards on the water? Yes, and then some.

How many vehicles gas did you have to pay for to setup, run, and breakdown the race? The race did not pay for any gas. All volunteers, primarily from the local triathlon community, to setup and tear down the race.

How many individual permits did you have to pay for? None that I know of. The local community embraced the event and didn't charge for permits, not sure that they have a mechanism to do so. We did pay a number of policemen to work the major intersections, paid an ambulance and paramedics to be on site, etc.

How much equipment did you need t rent and what was the cost? Not so much. How much equipment does it take to run a sprint? We rented the racks, timing company put up the fencing, timing mats, finish line. We rented tents, tables and chairs, bought all our signage/ You have any specifics you want to know about?

Most of this is similar to other area sprints, though I feel we did things a lot more efficiently, engaged the community, and didn't have the motive of maximizing profit.

If you could find me a HIM for that price with all the quality, and safety then I would agree with your disagreement, but not with a sprint. The two HIMs that readily come to mind in this region are Oilman Texas (formerly Ironstar) which charges $161 (was $105 when I did it), and River Roux Triathlon.

2014-03-10 8:18 AM

My most irritating race was a chip-timed 5K. I crossed the finish line, then stopped to wait for my sister who was a few people behind me before going in the clubhouse to collect the finisher's t-shirts. When I got to the t-shirt stand, they were collecting our numbers and associating them with the chip. So, I now had 10 people placed ahead of me who crossed the finish line AFTER me, just because race management had not told us to stay in order until after we'd collected our t-shirts. All of the rankings were mixed up; I only noticed b/c I remembered the number of the guy I was racing to the finish.

• .. I was mostly annoyed because I'd finally placed THIRD in my age group and was going to get the tiniest of prizes for doing so.

• It was about $20, which is slightly cheaper than the norm for a 5K, but it never occurred to me they wouldn't keep track of placings appropriately.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Registration Fees (You get what you pay for) Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Paid the entry fee

Started by Danno77
    Views: 734 Posts: 4

2012-04-29 7:07 PM Danno77

Are Marathon Fees Getting Out of Hand??? Pages: 1 2

Started by mr2tony
    Views: 3430 Posts: 49

2012-02-14 9:13 AM Scout7

Race Fee + Processing Fee

Started by snake111
    Views: 973 Posts: 7

2009-07-31 4:18 PM trix

How much is too much? - Race Registration Fees

Started by shornick
    Views: 1802 Posts: 24

2006-12-20 8:08 PM chirunner134

Um, I just pay the entry fee... Pages: 1 2

Started by CitySky
    Views: 1945 Posts: 33

2006-07-25 1:23 PM emilyindallas
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : January 29, 2006
    author : Ontherun
    comments : 0
    We triathletes are a lucky lot. We have the time and the resources to enjoy a sport that is time consuming and can be very expensive. I take this opportunity to reflect on my good fortune.

date : September 2, 2004
    author : Michael
    comments : 1
    Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!