General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calculating ideal race weight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-10 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: Calculating ideal race weight

Is there a way to calculate your best race weight? I've been Googling around and haven't come across anything that useful. Just curious if everyone else does it by "I feel good" or an actual calculated number based on height, BMI, body fat %, etc.?

I'm still 6 weeks away from my race, but yesterday discovered I'm literally at what I thought was my "ideal" race weight (purely unscientific -- it felt good and it's what I've always considered "race weight" because that's the weight I'm at by the time the races roll around).

Soooo I'm thinking maybe getting a teeny tiny bit lower could be good for me for the marathon and maybe help me gain a bit of a time advantage.

I'm not currently dieting (plant-based eater, so it's a pretty healthy diet to begin with). I have started drinking protein shakes after longer runs and I think that's contributed to the current weight loss somehow.

But I think if I actually bothered to pay closer attention to what I ate, I could drop a couple more pounds...

I'm just confused -- how do I know what's the best weight for me? Is this even a good idea? Thanks!

2014-03-10 11:52 AM
in reply to: swishyskirt

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Subject: RE: Calculating ideal race weight
You keep losing, until your results start getting worse. Seriously, that's the answer - you can read it in Pfitz Racing Weight or any of the other books on the subject. It's the only way to know for YOU.

You can figure your range though with a bit of math and your age range assuming you have a decent body fat scale.

So if you're a 30 year old woman, at 20% bf, and 150 on the scale, and you think you can get down to 17% then:

150 * .20 is 30 lbs of fat. 150-30 is 120 lean muscle/bones.

So 120/1-0.17) is 144.5. So you need to lose 5.5 lbs total to get 17%.

On scales, I tried 4 different dept store scales and they all sucked till I ordered online:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004NXUAXW/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=U...

(Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart3.jpg)

(Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart3.jpg (151KB - 14 downloads)
Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart2.jpg (164KB - 15 downloads)
2014-03-10 1:10 PM
in reply to: Khyron

User image

Expert
New York

Thanks, that's useful. I think I'm already pretty lean. 123 lbs, 22% body weight. If I go down to 17%, I'd be 116 lbs. Seems crazy low, but I've never tried to be that light. But I guess that means it probably wouldn't be bad to drop a pound or three...

2014-03-10 5:19 PM

User image

Pro

all other things being equal.  losing 1lb will net you about 1 min faster come race day (marathon distance).

At your weight- there are probably no health or even aesthetic reasons to lose weight- so decide how important a little bit of performance is to you.  If you're on the hairy edge of a BQ... then it would be worth it to me.  (and it was... and I did... and I did)

2014-03-10 5:34 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Expert
New York

Originally posted by morey000

all other things being equal.  losing 1lb will net you about 1 min faster come race day (marathon distance).

At your weight- there are probably no health or even aesthetic reasons to lose weight- so decide how important a little bit of performance is to you.  If you're on the hairy edge of a BQ... then it would be worth it to me.  (and it was... and I did... and I did)

Ha -- I'm dreaming of a marathon PR...so yeah, one pound would be worth it to me. I'm really looking to squeak out any extra advantages wherever they can be found.

2014-03-10 5:44 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Originally posted by swishyskirt

Originally posted by morey000

Ha -- I'm dreaming of a marathon PR...so yeah, one pound would be worth it to me. I'm really looking to squeak out any extra advantages wherever they can be found.

Just don't diet now - you're supposed to drop most of the weight before the training cycle. Do it now, and you'll just hurt your workouts. A little calorie defecit to maybe loose 1 more pound isn't a problem but don't try for 4-5. Like you said, you're not exactly on the chubby end of the spear.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calculating ideal race weight Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ideal Tri Race

Started by lkc01234
Views: 1711 Posts: 24

2010-09-16 8:16 AM JonnyRingo84

Ideal Weight & Body Fat

Started by laudasova
Views: 1602 Posts: 7

2007-05-03 6:58 PM stupidnickname

calculating my race pace today on the run...need advice

Started by lablover
Views: 880 Posts: 2

2005-06-02 11:38 AM Rollin' Thunder

What's your ideal racing weather

Started by vicvroom
Views: 588 Posts: 4

2005-04-28 2:24 PM huskyboy

Ideal Weight Pages: 1 2

Started by Mick55
Views: 2478 Posts: 36

2004-12-16 7:25 PM skmilburn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Standing Lunges strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : March 5, 2006
author : mikericci
The optimal number of times you should weight train is dependant on the time of year, how close you are to your A race, and which training cycle you are in.
date : April 10, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Most of us have gone up and down in weight so often that we have lost count. What we are looking for is a steady loss of weight which often is not found.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?