General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Shreveport, Louisiana
United States
Sports Spectrum
101F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 1s
Overall Rank = 380/1130
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 11/38
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the KOA Campgrounds on the other side of Shreveport, LA from the race. We stayed in the Cabin and had a great time at the site. Nice and quiet compared to a Hotel. Up early (4:30am) and out the site by 5:00am to try and find some coffee.
Event warmup:

Run from transition to car and back and then some pick-ups in the warm water to get the blood flowing again after waiting so long. I was the last wave to go again.
Swim
  • 15m 19s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I positioned myself in the middle front of the 101 person wave to get off fast and hopefully catch a faster swimmers legs. Three of us got to the front and swam side by side for the first 200 yards, then I let one go ahead of me and I jumped on his feet the whole rest of the way to the swim finish. It helped to draft his feet. I thought I would get out in about 13:00 minutes and was disappointed when I saw my 15:00 time. I found out later that the course was way long (150-200 meters) due to the storm last night wiping out all the buoys. They had to set-up the course in a hurry the morning of the race and didn't have time to make it exact. No big deal, everyone had to swim the same distance.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, it was a good swim and one of my best decision making and siting that I have ever done. I could use some more speed but it's not worth the effort when my run needs more work.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

I had a hard time getting my "land legs" going into T1 and could not catch my breath. Much better after I got on my bike.

Run faster
Bike
  • 49m 33s
  • 18.2 miles
  • 22.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike. I really love this course. It's a tough and beautiful bike course with some sections that you can fly on and some sections that you have to work hard on. I had a great time but wonder what I could have done if I had been riding through a bunch of guys instead of all the women's waves that started ahead of me. Just that extra push might have made me go faster. I only had 1 guy pass me the whole way and he was actually in the wave ahead of me and just had a bad swim.

More time trialing and hill work.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Good dismount on the bike and easy run out of T2. Amazing how much faster it can be when you don't wear socks.

Nada.
Run
  • 30m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Not terrible for me but not great either. I ran/walked the course as usual. I "ran" the first mile until 5 guys in my AG passed me, then I started to slow as I lost the thought of placing high enough to medal. I need to do more brick workouts to get my legs better at running off the bike for all distances and keep pushing in case someone who passed me bonks. I feel like I am stuck in Half Ironman/Ironman pace when I get off the bike. I just can't seem to run and keep running for 5k and 10k races.

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Talk with friends, wait in line for food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running ability.

Event comments:

Best run race in USA. The storm that came through the night before just proved what a great race this really is and how well it's run. Not to mention the goody bag is incredible and the course is awesome. It filled up in 3 hours this year and I would expect it to fill at least that fast next year.

Last updated: 2006-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:19 | 880 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/38
Overall: 0/1130
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Tri Suit
Course: Rectangle.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:49:33 | 18.2 miles | 22.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/38
Overall: 221/1130
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills in a loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:54 | 03.1 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/38
Overall: 821/1130
Performance: Average
Course: Park run on pavement and some trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-07 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon

2006-08-07 10:41 AM
in reply to: #503963

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: RE: Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon

Nice race Mike. Wish we could have caught up somewhere, but I was probably one of those guys you absolutely flew by on the bike. Everything you said about this race is dead on. It is definitely the best race I've ever been to. Congrats on a great race!

2006-08-07 3:11 PM

User image

Expert
Great race!
2006-08-07 3:12 PM

User image

Houston, TX
Great race! It sounds like you had a great strategy on the swim and that it worked out well. I love it when that happens! Your ride and run were awesome too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed