General Discussion Triathlon Talk » diet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-11 7:36 PM

New user
Subject: diet
I am getting so sick of the same thing. I CAN eat the same thing over and over, just need more variety. I'm currently:

eggs, fruit breakfast
chicken or cottage cheese, table spoon peanut butter, apple or banana
it's like this for nearly 4-5 meals
then , shake when I get home
then tilapia with veggie

then just before bed, 2 eggs

any suggestions to mix this up? any and all suggestions are welcome.

2014-03-11 7:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

NC
Subject: RE: diet
First of all, any fish other than tilapia.

ETA: You can get frozen, wild-caught tuna and mahi at Wal-Mart that's reasonably priced.

Edited by Goosedog 2014-03-11 7:58 PM
2014-03-11 10:07 PM
in reply to: ectofighter

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

find some nice hot sauces. seriously. get a bunch of different kinds that taste different and rotate them.  also use different vegetable mixes each day for things like chicken. some days i throw chicken breast on a bun with avacado/sour cream.  the next it might be with black beans over rice with salsa. 

you can also change up how you eat your eggs. scrambled. fried. hard boiled. i usually scramble mine with jalepenos and throw black beans and salsa on before eating.

2014-03-11 10:10 PM
in reply to: Clempson

New user
Do the majority of you guys only eat high protein, fruit and fats? No carbs, no complex carbs etc? Also, how many calories and what percentage of which (protein, fat, fruit) are you eating?
2014-03-11 10:12 PM

User image

Pro

What are you trying to accomplish?  Weight loss?  Fueling training?

2014-03-11 10:19 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

New user
fuel for training. Want to be an animal when S/B/R racing

Originally posted by Left Brain

2014-03-11 10:22 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ectofighter fuel for training. Want to be an animal when S/B/R racing
Originally posted by Left Brain

Then you need to eat more.  Who the hell can train 15-18 hours per week (minimum to be "an animal" IMO) on that diet?  I'd starve to death.

2014-03-11 10:27 PM

User image

Centennial, Colorado
Are you trying to lose or gain weight or just watch what you eat?

old fashioned oatmeal in the morning with (strawberries/blueberries/sliced almonds) or whatever floats your boat. Or mix in a fruit smoothie with greek yogurt/almond milk/fresh or frozen fruit.

keep eating your chicken, but throw it in a stir fry with a bunch of steamed veggies and wild rice. Salmon and tuna/albacore are very good for you too.

Kidney/black beans are good to eat as well.

great snack food is the energy balls. oatmeal, peanut butter, flaccid oil, choc chips, and honey (i think) very easy to make and carry around. you may have to look up the recipe for those there might be more to add to it I cant remember.
2014-03-11 10:31 PM

User image

Centennial, Colorado
Originally posted by ectofighter

Do the majority of you guys only eat high protein, fruit and fats? No carbs, no complex carbs etc? Also, how many calories and what percentage of which (protein, fat, fruit) are you eating?

EAT YOUR CARBS!!!!!! Just watch where you get them/how much you are eating of them. Carbs are your energy source. and if you are/want to train hard your body needs that source energy.
2014-03-11 10:33 PM
in reply to: mullerkm09

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by mullerkm09
Originally posted by ectofighter Do the majority of you guys only eat high protein, fruit and fats? No carbs, no complex carbs etc? Also, how many calories and what percentage of which (protein, fat, fruit) are you eating?
EAT YOUR CARBS!!!!!! Just watch where you get them/how much you are eating of them. Carbs are your energy source. and if you are/want to train hard your body needs that source energy.

this. i love my carbs

2014-03-11 10:40 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

New user
penticton
when it come time to diet and athletes, i like to KEEP IT SIMPLE

here s a amazing program writen by my friend brian stover as i was living at his place during my professional carreer... it s funny..but very effective plan to train well..be light for races and simply kept it simple

By Desert Dude strict rules for eating while at the LHPTC. They are as follows:

1. No eating after 7:30 unless coming back from a late evening workout over 30min. If under 30min you may have 1 gel and a piece of fruit or 1 energy bar.

2. Dinner is all you can eat, as long as it fits on the coffee saucer the first time. There are no refills in this all you can eat establishment.

3. Hungry at night? Tough - you should have eaten more throughout the day. Have a glass of water instead of whining. Whiners pay rent irregardless if they trained that day or not.

4. eat something within 20 min of completing all workouts.

5. Insure you are taking in adequate calories during your day

6. Eat a bigger breakfast or lunch if you feel you need more food

7. Make sure you are fueling properly when in your training sessions.

8. Still hungry? Pay rent for whining

Send all complaints to the administator of the facility to the address below:

Gabi K9
3546 Who Cares Dr.
Stop Whining, AZ 85552

Brian Stover

2014-03-11 10:44 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

New user
I just copied and pasted that

seems like if I eat carbs, I bloat up. I do need to be on a gluten free carb diet. I also always thought that it's better not to be eating carbs and result for fat for energy so when racing - the carbs you eat are utilized "better" and you don't have to eat as much for fuel. - course, correct me if I"m wrong
2014-03-11 10:50 PM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
Salmon. Heat up some olive oil in a pan, throw the salmon steak on skin side down so it sears, lower heat and cover, eat it all with the skin.

Prime sirloin from Costco is pretty good. Cut the steaks in half.

For carbs - white rice pilaf with eggs + veggies + butter, baked sweet potato fries, mountains of fruit.

I'd rather eat cod than tilapia, but both are way too lean to be a regular part of my diet.
2014-03-11 11:49 PM

User image

New user
penticton
well..carbs are important to performance....to quality workout. The body is amazing at buring fat at low intensity. so really, you have to kept it simple...eat a balance diet...make sure you are well fuelled for training and racing....

and remember that all elite athletes eats plenty of carbs....olympic distance and ironman, so dont be scare of those!

lots of people avoid gluten.... i understand your case very well. i think it can be a very healthy choice to do so
2014-03-11 11:56 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Let's see...

It looks like you're missing out on some of the essentials to me...In fact, I'm not sure how you're getting through your training/racing with this poor of a diet.

One of the main issues I'm seeing is your lack of wings and/or pizza. I try to get one or the other in at least once a week if possible...Also, I'm not seeing any hamburgers...Hamburgers, preferably with bacon and cheese, are really important in order to keep a balanced diet.

Every once in a while I like to throw in a burrito, but please do so at your own discretion...

Besides that, I think you're doing really well...Keep it up!!

2014-03-12 7:48 AM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by jonnyo when it come time to diet and athletes, i like to KEEP IT SIMPLE here s a amazing program writen by my friend brian stover as i was living at his place during my professional carreer... it s funny..but very effective plan to train well..be light for races and simply kept it simple By Desert Dude strict rules for eating while at the LHPTC. They are as follows: 1. No eating after 7:30 unless coming back from a late evening workout over 30min. If under 30min you may have 1 gel and a piece of fruit or 1 energy bar. 2. Dinner is all you can eat, as long as it fits on the coffee saucer the first time. There are no refills in this all you can eat establishment. 3. Hungry at night? Tough - you should have eaten more throughout the day. Have a glass of water instead of whining. Whiners pay rent irregardless if they trained that day or not. 4. eat something within 20 min of completing all workouts. 5. Insure you are taking in adequate calories during your day 6. Eat a bigger breakfast or lunch if you feel you need more food 7. Make sure you are fueling properly when in your training sessions. 8. Still hungry? Pay rent for whining Send all complaints to the administator of the facility to the address below: Gabi K9 3546 Who Cares Dr. Stop Whining, AZ 85552 Brian Stover

Sorry, can't take advice from someone (Stover) who uses the word "irregardless"

2014-03-12 7:50 AM
in reply to: JasenGuy

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by JasenGuy
One of the main issues I'm seeing is your lack of wings and/or pizza. I try to get one or the other in at least once a week if possible...Also, I'm not seeing any hamburgers...Hamburgers, preferably with bacon and cheese, are really important in order to keep a balanced diet.

Dude, you left out beer, an essential source of niacin and thiamine.
2014-03-12 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

I dunno but I ate a bowl of Moose tracks ice cream last night.  I caved...sigh.  Guess you have to enjoy the little things every now and again.

2014-03-12 8:00 AM

Chocolate cake!
2014-03-12 8:10 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Bevie

I dunno but I ate a bowl of Moose tracks ice cream last night.  I caved...sigh.  Guess you have to enjoy the little things every now and again.

I eat dessert pretty much every night.  No, I'm not in the zero percent body fat club, but if the rest of the diet is balanced, a sensible dessert can be worked in without a problem.  A reasonable amount of programmed sweets (ramekin of ice cream, pudding, etc. after dinner) keeps me from going off the rails and dropping a pint of Ben & Jerry's...

Now, if you're a pro or elite…  Well, I honestly have no idea what pro's and elites do.  You'd have to ask them.

The other advice above is sound (fuel the workouts, limit late night stuff, be smart about stupid choices - as in moderate them, etc.).  With a high volume plan, you really would benefit from a well timed source of carbs (doesn't have to be from wheat if you're sensitive).  

I'm no where near "animal" status, but I would crump without intentionally putting carbs into my diet to support the workouts.  When I just wing it and work after a low carb meal, I'm flat - and usually for both workouts that day (seems tough to catch up if I don't fuel right at the start of the day).  Just my experience...

Life is way too short for *me* to give up ice cream!  (and I'll say that as you pass me on race day)  

Matt

2014-03-12 8:54 AM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by trishie

Originally posted by jonnyo when it come time to diet and athletes, i like to KEEP IT SIMPLE here s a amazing program writen by my friend brian stover as i was living at his place during my professional carreer... it s funny..but very effective plan to train well..be light for races and simply kept it simple By Desert Dude strict rules for eating while at the LHPTC. They are as follows: 1. No eating after 7:30 unless coming back from a late evening workout over 30min. If under 30min you may have 1 gel and a piece of fruit or 1 energy bar. 2. Dinner is all you can eat, as long as it fits on the coffee saucer the first time. There are no refills in this all you can eat establishment. 3. Hungry at night? Tough - you should have eaten more throughout the day. Have a glass of water instead of whining. Whiners pay rent irregardless if they trained that day or not. 4. eat something within 20 min of completing all workouts. 5. Insure you are taking in adequate calories during your day 6. Eat a bigger breakfast or lunch if you feel you need more food 7. Make sure you are fueling properly when in your training sessions. 8. Still hungry? Pay rent for whining Send all complaints to the administator of the facility to the address below: Gabi K9 3546 Who Cares Dr. Stop Whining, AZ 85552 Brian Stover

Sorry, can't take advice from someone (Stover) who uses the word "irregardless"

Brian Stover can use any words he wants and you should listen to every single one of them. That dude KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. Wish he was my coach.

2014-03-12 9:01 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

New user
penticton
Yes! Brian is my adoptive family!!! i have live with him over a good 5-7 years hiding in his guess room and training in arizona to make it as a professional. and i never paied rent!!!! It was a great time and probably one of the best teaching experience to see how a great coach work.

This nutrition plan/advice was posted on his fridge for me one morning. I had to look at it every time i opened the door! it s great advice, easy to follow and extremely effective.

and yes, it s usually a good idea to follow brian's advice if your goal is to get faster...
2014-03-12 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ectofighter

For medical reasons my diet is much higher in fat and protein.

The result is I do burn an abnormally high % of fat when racing short and long course

Is this good ? no. I feel I am missing out on many nutrients that I would get from a more balanced diet.

If carbs are giving you trouble, try
a) timing them post workout
b) picking carbs with a low GI.

This is the only way I can consume them

Both of these points can make a huge difference in how the body responds
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » diet Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

food, food, food...diet, diet, diet Pages: 1 2

Started by montyb49
Views: 3075 Posts: 30

2006-11-16 9:19 AM tkbslc

Weight/Diet

Started by Blacktoe
Views: 1235 Posts: 13

2004-12-01 8:55 AM Whit

help w/ my diet

Started by beichley12
Views: 677 Posts: 5

2004-11-11 1:25 PM LoloRuns

Going home makes you fat....Diet time.

Started by Novo
Views: 616 Posts: 7

2004-11-08 3:12 PM TH3_FRB

What diet best suits tri training?

Started by Leona
Views: 811 Posts: 10

2004-10-10 12:23 PM keriann
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 21, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Striving to eat a perfect diet commonly results in deprivation of foods you truly like to eat. You will inevitably end up binging on those foods, sooner or later. Learn how to eat normally.

date : October 31, 2011
comments : 0
Resources you can trust to improve your endurance sport diet
date : June 21, 2011
comments : 1
How recent studies can impact your training and nutrition strategies

date : May 31, 2011
comments : 5
Is giving into cravings necessarily a bad thing?
date : April 15, 2011
comments : 1
The latest in sports nutrition from researchers around the nation.

date : January 20, 2011
Should I buy organic or standard foods? Fresh or frozen vegetables? Low-fat or fat-free milk? Get tips inside.
date : April 14, 2010
If you are like many active people, you feel totally confused about what to eat. You listen to a plethora of nutrition experts, read food labels, and then try to piece the information together.

date : December 5, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
The crux of rehab was so simple: “Eat and exercise like your life depended on it.” It seemed to take all the guesswork out of the picture and make things that much easier for me.