General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Houston! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-12 11:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: Houston!

Hello, me and my wife are going to be in Houston(Cypress) around Easter. Any suggestions for:

1)bike shop to rent a bike

2)any great rides(we will have a car rental so if outside of Cypress, no problem)

3)sights/restaurants etc.

thanks for your help.

2014-03-13 8:31 AM
in reply to: thor67

Spring/Woodlands Area
Subject: RE: Houston!
Northwest Cycling Club does Saturday rides out of Zube Park up in Hockley (off 290) that are well attended and have lots of options. There's lot of riding in that area, so you might want to check the websites for NWCC and the Cypress Tri Club to see what's there. There are a lot of MS150 training rides in that area as well, so if you look at Active for cycling events in the Cypress area you should be able to get some good ideas for routes.

Bike shops (I'm not sure if they do rentals): all are easily found through Google to get specific phone/location. I like all of these and will happily spend money at any of them.
Tru Tri Sports - east side of 290 just north of Barker Cypress, take the Barker Cypress exit
Bike Barn - west side of 290 in the shopping center with Target; I think take the Fry road exit and flip a U
Houston Cycles Northwest - east side of 290 near the Jones Road exit

Restaurants: If you like Greek food, check out Manny's on highway 6 (also called FM 1960 in some parts). It's in the shopping center with Autozone at the intersection of 6 and West. Really good food. Lots of other good restaurants in the area, depending on what you are looking for.

There's a nice outlet mall off 290 that has Nike, New Balance, and Reebok stores if you want to do some shopping.

I'll have to think about the sights. My folks live in that area, so I don't really think about sights over there. If you are willing to venture downtown (get a nav system), there's a ton of stuff to do.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
2014-03-13 4:13 PM
in reply to: apglave

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Houston!

Best bet for a bike would be to go to the Bike Barn website and reserve one.  www.bikebarn.com  Have it go to the Cypress location and you should be set.

CyTri or one of the coaching groups that is a sponsor of CyTri usually rides Saturday mornings out of Hockley Community Center just a bit further out 290.  It's a flat, fast, boring route in general, but it's safe.  If you want to go out to The Woodlands/Conroe area you can hop on the IMTX course.  There should be PLENTY of people riding out there.

Food is kinda boring unless you go into town.  Most of the restaurants in Cypress are chain places but Rockwell Tavern and The Shack are great for burgers,  Here's a link to some others:  http://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/restaurant-reviews/articles/where-to-eat-in-cypress-right-now-march-2014/1

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Houston! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Houston Marathon Training. NW Houston

Started by fattyfatfat
Views: 1073 Posts: 1

2009-07-06 11:02 AM fattyfatfat

HOUSTON OPEN WATER SWIM Pages: 1 2

Started by csgomez
Views: 3145 Posts: 28

2005-09-09 8:15 AM courtney_leone

Houston Open Water Swim