General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying Carbon wheels - questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-12 11:13 PM

Subject: Buying Carbon wheels - questions
Well I'm fairly ignorant about bike wheels, so apologies for the stupid questions. I've got a 2013 Cervelo P2 with the standard Shimano R501 wheels. I want to upgrade to a carbon wheelset, but I'm a bit confused as to what to get or what benefits I will get from them. I will be only using them for triathlons, mainly OD & 70.3s & 1 X IM a year. The courses are predominantly flat. I'm not sure what size to get e.g 80mm, 60mm or do I get a single disk or double disk or rear disk with 50mm front... I'm very confused!! Thanks in advance for any tips/advice. I'm also looking at going down the Chinese route i.e Hongfu, Yishun etc so any advice re them would also be great.

Edited by zedzded 2014-03-12 11:33 PM

2014-03-13 8:45 AM
in reply to: zedzded

Subject: RE: Buying Carbon wheels - questions
This article does a pretty good job at listing the pro and cons
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/08/where-is-the-value-in-a-carbon-wh...

One think I would look into with the off brands is what type of bearings are you getting. Nice rims with cheap bearings are not going to be great
2014-03-13 9:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Waldwick

Edited by boomer2it 2014-03-13 9:17 AM
2014-03-13 9:12 AM

User image

Waldwick
Go Flo Wheels
carbon fairing, aluminum wheels/brake surface, bullet proof, train and race with one set
2014-03-13 9:16 AM
in reply to: boomer2it

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by boomer2it Go Flo Wheels carbon fairing, aluminum wheels/brake surface, bullet proof, train and race with one set

Strangely enough when I go to their website and click buy for a wheelset, I get a notice that I can order at some time in mid March and race others trying to buy the same wheelset.

Flo Wheels are solid wheels, but I hate their business model.

2014-03-13 9:51 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by boomer2it Go Flo Wheels carbon fairing, aluminum wheels/brake surface, bullet proof, train and race with one set

Strangely enough when I go to their website and click buy for a wheelset, I get a notice that I can order at some time in mid March and race others trying to buy the same wheelset.

If you read their history and blog you will find they are working toward having inventory on hand so you can just order and get wheels. They had lots of issues finding a manufacturer for their wheels that was up to their standard. Also demand has been crazy for these wheels. An order of 800 wheels will sell out in 45 minutes. Supply and demand has caused them to use the "pre-order" style for now. I suppose they could raise prices to reduce demand, but then that defeats their whole purpose as a company.

All that said, the wheels do ship pretty quickly after the order day, but you have to be fast on the trigger to get wheels. 

Their site also provides some good info for you OP on what size to get. Their conclusions are that the deeper the wheel, the faster it is. So 90 front and disc rear would be the fastest. However many people don't like the handling of such a deep front. A popular combo is 60 front 90 rear. Or 404 front and 808 rear in Zipps. You can always add a disc cover from WheelBuilder to your rear wheel. 

I was planning on going with Flo's, either 90/90 or 60/90. But my LBS is willing to cut me a good deal on some zipp wheels so I may go with that just to support the local shop.

2014-03-13 9:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
You'll feel faster even if you're not (but you will be...).

The size is predominantly a factor in cross wind strength, as the deeper wheels tend to be better aerodynamically but suffer more stability in some wind condition. This is partially offset by going fast, because going fast creates stability not the least of which is derived from angular momentum (and they have more by definition).

If you're a big person (over 150 lbs) you can probably get away with the biggest non-dish wheels in x-winds around 20 mph or higher. My zipp full carbon clinchers tend to auto-correct for cross wind action (this is documented by product testers). But it doesn't mean it will be the funnest of rides,especially above 25 mph x-wind factor (meaning the wind component coming at you at 90 degrees). You can always switch out to your "old" wheels if you hit unfavorable conditions prior to a race.

Today's wheels are generally solid enough for training too.

Make/brand partially depends on budget, and cost is proportional to the firm's R&D and use of higher end carbon technology.

Edited by FranzZemen 2014-03-13 9:55 AM
2014-03-13 10:15 AM
in reply to: boomer2it

User image

Miami
Originally posted by boomer2it

Go Flo Wheels
carbon fairing, aluminum wheels/brake surface, bullet proof, train and race with one set

x2. Bets bang for your buck, specially for flat races (they weight a little bit more than more expensive wheels, but unless there is a lot of climbing, this is not a factor)

I got a 60/90 set up. Pretty standard for triathlon, I guess. Although 60/60 and 90/90 are also other popular set ups.
2014-03-13 10:27 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Aarondb4

If you read their history and blog you will find they are working toward having inventory on hand so you can just order and get wheels. They had lots of issues finding a manufacturer for their wheels that was up to their standard. Also demand has been crazy for these wheels. An order of 800 wheels will sell out in 45 minutes. Supply and demand has caused them to use the "pre-order" style for now. I suppose they could raise prices to reduce demand, but then that defeats their whole purpose as a company.

All that said, the wheels do ship pretty quickly after the order day, but you have to be fast on the trigger to get wheels. 

I'm aware of why handle orders the way they do, but it irritates me when people suggest's Flo like it's readily available when it's not.

To answer the OP

Originally posted by zedzded  I'm also looking at going down the Chinese route i.e Hongfu, Yishun etc so any advice re them would also be great.

I ride a Chinese 88mm front with a covered training wheel for the rear.  It's a very cheap option that gives most of the benefit of even the fastest race setup.   

2014-03-13 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I'm aware of why handle orders the way they do, but it irritates me when people suggest's Flo like it's readily available when it's not.

To answer the OP

Originally posted by zedzded  I'm also looking at going down the Chinese route i.e Hongfu, Yishun etc so any advice re them would also be great.

I ride a Chinese 88mm front with a covered training wheel for the rear.  It's a very cheap option that gives most of the benefit of even the fastest race setup.   

Gotcha, just wanted to point out for the OP why they are a bit harder to get ahold of than some.

The pre-orders do seem to be picking up in frequency from what I can tell. I seem to be getting tempting emails from them on a more frequent basis. 

2014-03-13 2:09 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Cool link! I bookmarked it.
Here is another I like to play around with: http://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/componentaerodynamics.aspx

2014-03-13 2:26 PM

User image

Waldwick

So someone (myself) suggests to look into Flo wheels as an option to the OP, that irritates you? Where did I mention or "imply" that you can order them directly?
You don't like the Flo business model, that's fine you're the consumer, your choice?
Personally I would rather support an American company that is doing what they can to keep costs to the consumer as aggressive as possible until they get up and running, plus their customer service is amazing.

2014-03-13 8:44 PM

To answer the OP

Yeah I read good things about Flo wheels, but as soon as I heard there was a big waiting list/you had to fight others to get them and you could only place orders at certain times etc etc I was turned off. Not saying that their business model is wrong or they aren't following this process for rational reasons, but I'm not going to purchase something from a company that operates that way. At least not in relation to bikes. I've emailed other companies and they've told me I can have their product in a week or so. The quality might not be as good, but I don't want to have to go through the rigmarole of waiting to place an order and then hoping that I'm lucky...
2014-03-13 8:46 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

Originally posted by FranzZemen

You'll feel faster even if you're not (but you will be...).

The size is predominantly a factor in cross wind strength, as the deeper wheels tend to be better aerodynamically but suffer more stability in some wind condition. This is partially offset by going fast, because going fast creates stability not the least of which is derived from angular momentum (and they have more by definition).

If you're a big person (over 150 lbs) you can probably get away with the biggest non-dish wheels in x-winds around 20 mph or higher. My zipp full carbon clinchers tend to auto-correct for cross wind action (this is documented by product testers). But it doesn't mean it will be the funnest of rides,especially above 25 mph x-wind factor (meaning the wind component coming at you at 90 degrees). You can always switch out to your "old" wheels if you hit unfavorable conditions prior to a race.

Today's wheels are generally solid enough for training too.

Make/brand partially depends on budget, and cost is proportional to the firm's R&D and use of higher end carbon technology.

I'm 175 lbs.

When you say biggest non dish wheels, I assume you mean 80mm? Is that the largest?
2014-03-13 9:59 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by zedzded
Originally posted by msteiner I'm aware of why handle orders the way they do, but it irritates me when people suggest's Flo like it's readily available when it's not. To answer the OP
Yeah I read good things about Flo wheels, but as soon as I heard there was a big waiting list/you had to fight others to get them and you could only place orders at certain times etc etc I was turned off. Not saying that their business model is wrong or they aren't following this process for rational reasons, but I'm not going to purchase something from a company that operates that way. At least not in relation to bikes. I've emailed other companies and they've told me I can have their product in a week or so. The quality might not be as good, but I don't want to have to go through the rigmarole of waiting to place an order and then hoping that I'm lucky...

You hang out on ST classifies and they come around every so often.  Sometimes a set, sometimes a front, sometimes a rear, sometimes a disk. A set of 60's was just listed for $900 with shipping included. A FLO 90 listed this week for $350 shipped.

2014-03-13 10:27 PM
in reply to: Donto

Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by zedzded
Originally posted by msteiner I'm aware of why handle orders the way they do, but it irritates me when people suggest's Flo like it's readily available when it's not. To answer the OP

You hang out on ST classifies and they come around every so often.  Sometimes a set, sometimes a front, sometimes a rear, sometimes a disk. A set of 60's was just listed for $900 with shipping included. A FLO 90 listed this week for $350 shipped.

Hey mate I'm in Australia, so probably not a lot of Flo wheels going around here.

2014-03-14 10:55 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN

Agreed. A lot easier to find a set of HED wheels.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying Carbon wheels - questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Can I use continental glue( not the carbon one) on carbon wheels

Started by Rover24
Views: 944 Posts: 2

2012-02-24 8:28 AM tech_geezer

Cheap carbon wheels with carbon spokes!

Started by funkyd04
Views: 3185 Posts: 22

2016-08-31 4:36 AM icarbonwheels

How to safely remove decals from carbon wheel???

Started by tejen25
Views: 1432 Posts: 5

2009-05-15 10:40 AM offrhodes

Out of true carbon wheels?

Started by TooTallTri
Views: 1637 Posts: 12

2009-04-21 1:50 PM TooTallTri

Deep section carbon wheels, are they worth it

Started by dokeeffe
Views: 1616 Posts: 11

2006-04-09 6:17 PM AusVirgin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job
date : November 23, 2010
author : marmadaddy
comments : 1
Should you make the switch from your current aluminum framed bike to a carbon bike frame?

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.