Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-19 12:44 PM
in reply to: tripower

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Swim motivation
Year 8 of triathlon for me. I was like you when I started, hated swimming and only swam enough to be fairly confident I could complete the swim in my first tri.

Fast forward 8 years and I have developed a real love of swimming. I believe that even if I gave up triathlon that I would still swim. It has taken hundreds of hours of swimming and hundreds of thousands of yards to get there. I'm still not fast which makes me crazy but I am comfortable in the water.

Stick with it. Eventually it gets pretty fun (or at least tolerable )

2014-03-19 2:21 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Austin

Music is what helps me the most. Get one of the finis swimp3s or the neptunes. they don't go in your ear, so you can still have awareness of whats going on around you better. but the sound comes through great.

that oh and a plan. When I go and just swim x laps i get so frigen bored I want to die. when I have a plan like 10lap normal, 10 lap kick, 10 lap pull, 3 lap negative splits, I do much better. I went from maybe hitting 1000 a session to sometimes 3000 a session by just having a plan and specified rests between segments.

2014-03-20 10:08 PM
in reply to: tripower

User image

New user

I was definitely in the same category the first two years of doing triathlon. Just hated the swim practice and had to drag myself there - and refused to do drills. Was going 2x per week. About 6 months ago committed to going 3x per week and started to incorporate other than just swimming laps. Got a pull buoy, fins (still can't use them) and went to a swim coach a couple of times just to get stroke analyzed. The final piece is the finis tempo trainer and I feel it lead to a break through - I now go in with a plan and using the different items/swimming different intervals/paces breaks up boredom. I am now much more focused on analyzing the stroke, stroke rate, and its become a lot more fun. The tempo trainer has shown me that I can improve my stroke rate and up the speed and gave me a rhythm. The result has been to go from 2:00 per 100 to 1:50 per 100 in the past 6 months and more confidence in the long distances - not earth shattering but improvement is the best motivator of all.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim motivation Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Loss of Motivation - The Swim

Started by brownlab
Views: 1384 Posts: 18

2009-03-31 8:22 PM lkagop

Swimming motivation

Started by harmony
Views: 807 Posts: 4

2008-03-22 1:03 AM meepx2

Do you need Motivation to train?? Day 1 Motivation of 10

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 1061 Posts: 7

2007-08-22 1:16 PM Selachophobia

Swimming mental motivation

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 678 Posts: 2

2007-05-18 6:48 PM drdi

Swim Motivation!!!!

Started by gj50
Views: 879 Posts: 10

2005-07-21 10:01 AM idahodan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
comments : 0
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Reasons for triathlon training.
author : surfking
Reasons and Motivation to Triathlon Train

author : Daniel Clout
Why I love triathlon so much and what on earth compels triathlon upon me.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"Being novices to the sport, we feel a bit anxious about our lack of knowledge about competing in a triathlon. Our primary worry? The bike leg."

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
How to motivate yourslef into habit forming triathlon training goals.
Overcoming first-time fears.

One tool I’ve used successfully is the three A’s. Acceptance, Analysis, and Action.