General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Return to running after injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-16 9:31 PM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Return to running after injury

I am coming back to running after being laid off most of the winter due to a flare up of tendonitis in my foot. I believe I have figured out that my orthotics are actually irritating the issue instead of helping and since I have quit wearing them my foot has rapidly gotten better. The original flare up was due to trying the low drop trend but with my low arches and flexible tendons this was not a good match.

Anyone have a good plan they would like to share of how to come back to running with caution?

Today I did a walk/jog with 5 min walk to warm up then 2.5 min jog/2.5 min walk. This seemed to be going well then after 15 min of this I jogged for 5 min instead of breaking for the walk interval. This is why I think I need some kind of a plan, because I don't have the best judgement once I get started.

2014-03-16 9:53 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Return to running after injury

Both my son and I ran back from stress fractures using the following method which his run coach recommended and uses:

The plan is a 30 minute run/walk 3 times per week,

Week 1:  run 30 seconds walk 4:30 for 6 sets

Week 2: run 1 minute walk 4 minutes for 6 sets

Week 3: run 1:30 walk 3:30 for 6 sets

Week 4: run 2:00 walk 3:00 for 6 sets

week 5: run 2:30 walk 2:30 for 6

Continue increasing the run portion for 30 seconds each week.....at 10 weeks you are back to 30 minutes of running 3 times per week and can continue from there with a 10% weekly increase by running longer or adding a day, etc.

2014-03-17 6:39 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Left Brain

Both my son and I ran back from stress fractures using the following method which his run coach recommended and uses:

Continue increasing the run portion for 30 seconds each week.....at 10 weeks you are back to 30 minutes of running 3 times per week and can continue from there with a 10% weekly increase by running longer or adding a day, etc.

Oh gosh I need to dial it way back then! Thanks for the info.

2014-03-17 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4966298

User image

From my personal experience, 5 minutes warm up is not enough. Try warming up double the time you normally do ... It'll make your work out longer but I'm not in my prime any more and workouts take more patience from the beginning to the end.

By the way, I'm also a low arch/flat foot user and I changed my running style to front half-fore foot strike. I noticed I can wear any shoe, doing so. Changing my technique has allowed me to concentrate more on consistent jogging and running instead of the amount of time before pain sets in.
2014-03-17 8:25 AM
in reply to: jamesepoop

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by jamesepoop From my personal experience, 5 minutes warm up is not enough. Try warming up double the time you normally do ... It'll make your work out longer but I'm not in my prime any more and workouts take more patience from the beginning to the end. By the way, I'm also a low arch/flat foot user and I changed my running style to front half-fore foot strike. I noticed I can wear any shoe, doing so. Changing my technique has allowed me to concentrate more on consistent jogging and running instead of the amount of time before pain sets in.

I did that foot strike change several years ago and it really has helped a lot of issues. I think the combo of low arch plus extremely flexible tendons causes the majority of my problems. Most people who work on my feet think I must have been a gymnast in my youth!

Good point about the warm up, especially since I am also not in my prime .

2014-03-17 9:55 AM
in reply to: jamesepoop

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
I'm struggling with Achilles tendinitis .. It's almost healed and I need to start a running program to ensure I don't go out too hard at first.
I just got new kicks with ail or made orthotics. I am amped to run..
I have 6 or 7 races planned this year. I don't want to have to cancel or defer.

2014-03-17 2:42 PM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

I made this "return to run" schedule after an injury and shared it with some people. Other time I've done less or more as it feels right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6du10bnd2yigv0q/return%20to%20run%20schedu...
2014-03-17 3:27 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Linker doesn't work.
2014-03-17 3:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by trigal38

Originally posted by Left Brain

Oh gosh I need to dial it way back then! Thanks for the info.

You can't come back too slowly as long as you are working your way back....trouble only comes from coming back too quickly.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-17 3:47 PM
2014-03-17 3:55 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
When I've come back from injury or lay off I usually start with this plan:

Week 1:
Mon: 10min
Tues: 20min
Wed: 10min
Thurs: 20min
Sat: 30min

Every week add 1min to short runs, 2mins to med runs, and 3min to long run. I will build like this for 6-8 weeks until I feel I have my legs under me again. I keep all the runs in Z1 and Z2.
2014-03-17 7:18 PM
in reply to: #4966298

I'm on my way back since a double compound fractures of my tibia and fibula, I now have 2 rods 3 plates and 26 screws that make up my lower leg and will never come out because of the exensice damage done. Happened feb last year, bed ridden 8 months extensive rehab for 2 months.

Anyway I'm currently primed for a HIM in May and running 3hr blocks relitively comfortable, the thing is to take to slow and warm up extremely well and really listen to your body.
Every run session I do includes 20 mins of warm up drills and stretches to get my leg ready to deal with the impact and forces involved in running. In the early days if something felt off if immediately ditch the program and fall back to more drills, stretching, and very light technique work.

If you have developed a muscle imbalance it also makes your strong side susceptible to injury since the body will try to favor one side.

I could easily write for pages and be very boring but the main thing is to go slow (hardest thing for an athlete) always think it's about preventing further injury, if possible run with a friend/coach and ask them to constantly hassle you on your technique.

Good luck !!
Write notes after session, looking back at my progress has been nearly unbelievable.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Return to running after injury Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running when returning from injury

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 1658 Posts: 12

2012-09-22 5:23 AM swiss tri

return to running after injury-best plan

Started by jdotten
Views: 1252 Posts: 4

2012-03-21 10:02 PM Miles around Midtown

return to running after injury - run/walk questions

Started by trigal38
Views: 2867 Posts: 17

2011-08-16 9:49 AM owl_girl

Foot Injury - How do I keep up my running cardio without really running

Started by jcoop_00
Views: 1440 Posts: 7

2010-06-09 12:17 PM jgerbodegrant

Returning to Running

Started by dannyhargrave1
Views: 668 Posts: 5

2007-05-23 12:05 PM sebjamesm
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 8, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
A few weeks ago I tore the MCL and ACL in my right knee and the LCL in my left knee in an accident. Can I returned to triathlon? What would that entail?

date : December 22, 2011
comments : 2
Three sports medicine Doctors discuss the results of our user injury poll
date : August 9, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
As endurance athletes, by definition we must go to our borders to find our center. There is meaning in suffering, we tell ourselves, but not in stupidity.

date : September 25, 2009
comments : 0
I have a torn labrum in the right hip that I'm getting surgery for this Friday. Also the doctor is grinding some bone that caused it to tear. Do you have any good ideas on returning to training?
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : December 31, 2006
author : sportfactory
Is there a point of diminishing returns? At some point, age catches up with us all. In general, as we age, VO2 max decreases, body fat increases, and muscular strength drops off.
date : July 17, 2005
author : ChiRunning
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.