Hillstriders
15F / -9C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 58m 23s
Overall Rank = 548/958
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 80/108
Pre-race routine:

Try to stay warm? I put in the training this year to try and break 2 hours. Missed it last year by 12 seconds. Made all my long runs outside no matter the weather, so that helped a bit dealing with conditions today.
Blustery, cold, light snow. Temp was around 15 and the wind chill was negative. The snow stopped and did not really accumulate on the roads. They were nice and dry and in decent shape considering the winter we have had.
Stayed in my car until 10 minutes go. Got out, did some stretching and a warm up run to the start line. Huddled behind people while waiting for the gun.
Event warmup:

Not much. It was damn cold. Felt ready to run in spite of the conditons.
Run
  • 1h 58m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to break 2 hours and I knew I had to hold an overall ~9 minute pace. As usual, started off "fast" running the first 3 miles under 9 minute pace. At least we were downhill here as the wind was a steady 20-25 mph into us. Finally warmed up around 2 miles in and once the wind was at our backs, it felt fine. The sun even came out.
My 2 clunker miles were from 5-7, which is where the hills start. There was one aid station here where I stopped to walk to so could get some frozen water in me. Not bad pace either (9:20). At mile 7, they had a person shouting out specific times. I was right at 9 minute pace here.
Kept pretty steady heading into the dreaded 10 mile hill. About a 1/2 mile up starting at 9.5 miles in. Did better this year. Saw my wife at the top and told her I was on pace. There are 2 more hills after this one and I felt strong. I started looking at my Garmin and saw I was going to make it. Hooked up with a large group around 12 miles and it was nice to have someone to keep pace with.
Rounded the last turn, glanced at my watch and knew I could cruise into the chute and meet my goal. My wife was there with my parka, which I slipped on. I was at the same time happy, sweaty and cold.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I trained better this year, adding in some speed work and went outside to run on cold snowy days. I was prepared for this.
Post race
Warm down:

Should be warm up. We went to the gym to get out of the wind and cold. Got my pretzel and water. My hat and gloves were soaked and the parka helped, since every time someone came into the gym, a gust of cold air blew in with them.
My wife left and I went to the car to drop my sweaty stuff and get a fresh hat and gloves. Went back to the gym to find some friends. Home by 11:30.
Reward dinner at Montarra's in Algonquin.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cold and hills. Honestly, this is probably the best I can do on this course. I might be able to get to 1:55 on a flat course in better conditions. I am just not a natural runner. Trying to get better.

Event comments:

This is a great race that has been going on for years. It sells out in 30 minutes every year and I have been lucky enough to do it three years running. Might consider this a yearly event as it keeps me focused on training during our sucky winters.
Shout out to the volunteers. It must have been cold standing around waiting for us to come through. They are the best!

Last updated: 2014-03-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:23 | 13.1 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 80/108
Overall: 548/958
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly, although mostly downhill the first 3 miles. It's later in the race that the hills come back to bite you.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-03-17 7:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: March Madness Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » March Madness Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

March Madness Half Marathon

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1675 Posts: 4

2007-03-23 3:51 PM lvnewbie

Started by krissster
Views: 1414 Posts: 4

2007-03-23 3:52 PM lvnewbie

Started by Lyoshka
Views: 2041 Posts: 5

2007-03-23 3:47 PM lvnewbie

Started by Grizdog
Views: 2895 Posts: 4

2007-03-23 3:49 PM lvnewbie

Started by Whizzer
Views: 1476 Posts: 13

2006-03-21 8:35 AM Renee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.