General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake in the Hills Tri - Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-17 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: Lake in the Hills Tri - Official Thread
Finally thawed out from the Cary March Madness HM yesterday, so I am creating this since the race is not listed on BT.

Who is in for this year? This will be my 5th year doing the race. Any questions, let me know. Once the weather breaks, I ride a good part of the course during my training. They will start the Wednesday night OWS after Memorial Day.

2014-03-17 3:30 PM
in reply to: cartman1966

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Lake in the Hills Tri - Official Thread

Maybe. Remember the course quite well from two years ago.

2014-04-13 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Originally posted by cartman1966

Finally thawed out from the Cary March Madness HM yesterday, so I am creating this since the race is not listed on BT.

Who is in for this year? This will be my 5th year doing the race. Any questions, let me know. Once the weather breaks, I ride a good part of the course during my training. They will start the Wednesday night OWS after Memorial Day.

I have never done this tri and live so close, so considering it for this year. Will you share your experience with the race? good tri? well organized?

Also, can you provide more info about the wed pm OWS? I have traditionally done early morning swims at Silver Lake, but it'd be nice to have an evening option, too

thanks!
2014-04-13 2:39 PM

User image

New user
I'm in for this year. 3rd year in a row. Have never taken advantage of the Wednesday night OWS, but may try a few this year. Great race that is always well run. Goal is to go under 1:27 this year!
2014-04-14 7:28 AM
in reply to: Lyoshka

Master
Northern IL

Check out the race reports for lots of reports. For that, click on the profile pic or user name and select Go to Race Log. In that list is the report. And on each report is a button to View Other Reports for that race. That will give you way more than just who responds here.

It's a good event and has been organized. I think they're going with a TT start which is fairly new (1st time was last year). There are 2 transitions but easy to manage. T2 is on the way from the parking lot to the start and they've brought over the T1 bags to the finish quickly enough after.

I've been to the evening swims a couple times. If you're signed up for the race, you'll just check in at the gate, otherwise I think it's a couple bucks to swim. They have the course buoys up and a few lifeguards in kayaks around the loop. You just get in when you like and go swim laps around the loop. They have had someone doing a little open water teaching/explaining at times in the past, but not sure if they always do.

2014-04-14 12:20 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Hi Lena,

Like brigby1 said, check out my (and others) race reports. This will be my fifth year doing the race. Always organized and it's just a little longer than a normal sprint.
Typically, they start OWS on Wednesday nights right after Memorial Day from 6-7:30. Check the LITH home page for updates and also for water conditions/cancellations. They have cancelled on occasion for weather and poor water quality, but early June is OK. As it warms up, the water can get a little funky. Last year they also had an OWS on a Saturday right around July 4th. If you sign up for the race, the first 2 OWS are free; otherwise, it's $5 and swim as much as you want. This all takes place at Indian Park beach.
After the swim, there is a 3 mile run course out and back around the lake that is very hilly.
The 2 transitions are not an issue. Just have your gear sorted out.
I'll keep posting here as I ride the course and check road conditions. PM me if you need more info.

2014-04-24 2:14 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I'm in again for this year!   

2014-04-24 7:15 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Just got an email from the RD. OWS practice begins on June 4th.
2014-04-28 10:28 AM

Master
Northern IL

With the TT start last year, how well spaced out were things by bike? I've only seen/done this one as wave start over the few years prior. 2 people every 10 seconds sounds like it should work ok, but still thought it good to hear from people. Kind of expecting to move up a lot on the bike and would rather not deal with crowded situations or startle so many people coming up from behind. Not sure if I want to start in the elite wave either, so weighing a few things here.

2014-04-29 3:03 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I don't remember having any issues at all on the bike in terms of traffic.  Having the swim as a TT start last year was really nice, it was just spaced out enough to make it fairly easy to both sight and make your way through people.  

The only thing I was completely unprepared for (with it being my first time doing this race last year) was the 4 mile run at the end.  That last mile kicked my arse!  

2014-04-30 7:46 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Master
Northern IL

Ok. I've done a few TT starts before. Most relevant one had 2 people every 5 seconds and it was fine. For both the swim and the bike. Checking there as it was also an Oly, so twice as long for us to spread out in the water. The 10 sec here should work with the shorter distance. For the bike itself, I probably should have phrased it as if there was room if you were on a small motorbike. Probably just overthinking this, waiting for the season to get going. Roads seemed to have some size once out of the first half mile or so.

2014-04-30 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Thinking about doing this one as I've heard good things about it. It's right around the Bigfoot Tri as well as the new Crystal Lake one so I've got some decisions to make......
2014-04-30 3:30 PM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

Master
Northern IL

Even with a more open schedule, this is race I'd pick of those three. Kind of meh on RAM (Bigfoot) and the other is really going to have some work fitting it in. First year, and construction and a revised multi-lap short course setup sounds like a lot of congestion.

2014-05-01 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Agree on the Crystal Lake tri; it will definitely be an "interesting" course to say the least, but I"m tempted to try something new as I've done Bigfoot the last couple of years. I like the trail run aspect of Bigfoot and the fact that it's an Oly distance. LITH seems to be gathering some traction with me....
2014-05-01 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
I'll be the guinea pig for the CL tri this year. I have done Bigfoot the last 2 years and PP before that. CL is within 8 miles of my house and I always wanted to swim in that new lake I drive by daily. The bike course is going to be a mess and I am not sure how they fix it for next year even when construction is done. They are hemmed in by major roads there.

As to LITH, I was #220 last year and the swim start was fine. Well organized and it did spread out the field a bit. I did not notice much bike traffic as the race usually has just over 300 people. There are a couple of tight spots out on the course near turnarounds.
2014-05-01 1:45 PM

Master
Northern IL

The runs can be kind of a toss-up, depending on what you like. LITH goes through a nice subdivision area and it's long for a sprint at 4 miles. A good hill early and a smaller one late. Later parts also get onto the paved multi-use path. I liked the Bigfoot run too, but would wonder about a later wave and footing. All those people could muddy it up a bit. I was first wave and rather near the front by that point. Bike course is definitely LITH. Hills are a little bigger at LG, but the road quality at LITH was quite noticeably better. I like having terrain to negotiate, but not at the expense of more sure footing. That area around Lake Geneva can get pretty bad in places. Also not really that different in difficulty. The LG water is better to swim in. I didn't like the rocks at the entrance/exit, or having to run the pavement to transition. I have trouble on rough surfaces. LITH water still seems to be as good as a lot of other races in the area though.

The LITH organization has certainly been better when compared to this and several other RAM races I've done. Ridiculously long packet pick-ups and people not knowing information they should. A booth titled "Information" should know where the start line is, for example. LITH has also felt like they want us there in the way they conduct themselves at the start, the awards, and other points throughout the day as opposed to throwing money or expenses at us, like with expensive looking SWAG I'd rather not pay for.

2014-05-13 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Update; I rode most of the course this weekend and the roads are in decent shape. No major potholes and even a nice small section on Miller Road that was freshly paved.

Haligus was mostly smooth but had a lot of cracks that have been filled. Hardly noticed them.

Conley was rough for a section right off Haligus but it has been that way for years.

One filled pothole right as you turn into the subdivision off Haligus to start back south. It's been there in the past and usually marked with paint on race day.
2014-05-16 3:27 PM

User image

, Illinois
What are the chances of being able to swim without a wetsuit? I know it's still a month away but it was snowing this morning. This is going to be my first race and was hoping to not spend the money buying or renting a wetsuit.
2014-05-16 10:22 PM
in reply to: ec1974

Master
Northern IL

Any idea how well you can handle various water temps? Current conditions not withstanding, I'm thinking it will still get warm enough by then that at least some people would be fine. Don't really know about "most" or "average" people yet as it's still so unpredictable.

2014-05-22 9:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I'm having a hard time finding the distances for this race. I see that it's 20.0 overall, but that's it.

edit: found it on the registration form .5/15.5/4 (miles)

They need to just post that right on the front webpage. geesh, hopefully not everybody is as dense as I am, though.

Edited by Danno77 2014-05-22 9:24 AM
2014-05-22 12:43 PM
in reply to: Danno77

Master
Northern IL

Hehe. They do a good job of things at the race, and you'll probably just be able to follow the crowd.

2014-05-22 1:18 PM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

New user
Originally posted by Danno77

They need to just post that right on the front webpage. geesh, hopefully not everybody is as dense as I am, though.

I'm pretty dense too... that's what got me into this sport.
2014-05-23 11:26 AM
in reply to: Parkie

User image

Veteran
Any more opinions on having 2 transition areas? I really don't like these types of setups. How far is the walk from T1 to T2 after you set up your bike? Do you just leave you goggles/swimcap in T1 and somebody brings them to T2? At the finish near T2 how do you get back to the parking lot? Bus/Shuttle?
2014-05-24 5:22 PM

Master
Northern IL

The morning of, you ride your bike to T2. Drop off your run stuff there. Then ride over to T1 and get ready to go. It's about a mile between them. Your swim stuff and anything else you brought with will go in a bag they give. This gets brought over to T2 after we all leave. They'll have a pick-up either right by T2 or put the bags by our bikes. After the race, we ride our bikes back to the parking lot using the same way we rode over.

The hesitation about two transitions is understandable as some are a pain, but these guys really have it down how to do it. When going through it on race morning, it just works.

2014-05-27 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
To add to what brigby1 said, there is no issue with 2 transitions at this event. In the morning, you drop your run gear in T2 and also get body marked here. Ride to T1 and pick up your chip.

They make it work. I leave my run stuff in T2 along with my tri bag. I stuff my swim gear into the bag provided and ride over to T1. Afterwards, they have the swim bags all lined up with your race number. There is always a pile of stuff they also pick up in T1 as kind of a lost on found in case something doesn't get back into the bag after the swim.

T1 takes a bit if you have a wet suit as it has to be put in the bag. The bags are large enough though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake in the Hills Tri - Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Lake in the Hills Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by Ershk
Views: 2540 Posts: 10

2012-06-11 8:43 AM Ershk

Lake in the Hills tri : Official Thread

Started by cartman1966
Views: 1324 Posts: 6

2011-06-03 2:20 PM Rooney

Evergreen Lake Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by crowny2
Views: 4456 Posts: 27

2010-07-21 7:31 AM Meulen

Lake County Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by scotty930
Views: 1237 Posts: 3

2009-07-01 8:24 PM scotty930

Bangs Lake Multisport Festival : Official Thread

Started by bdavis30
Views: 1528 Posts: 4

2009-06-15 11:43 AM mr2tony
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : December 20, 2007
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: