General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chain cleaning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-17 6:35 PM

User image

Danielson Ct
Subject: chain cleaning
Are there any chain cleaning systems that do a good job? Normally I drop my chain but am thinking I might want to clean it on the bike from time to time. Also, hearing a lot of folks using wd 40 for chain cleaner, pro's or con's? Thanks.

2014-03-17 6:54 PM
in reply to: Hey Kev

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: chain cleaning

I bought this and after the cleaner ran out use a 50/50 mix of Simple Green.

2014-03-17 7:04 PM

User image

Rag with simple green... Lightly hold the chain, pedal and it's clean. Lube, wipe off excess and your done. That's what my LBS told me so I did not spend money on things I don't need. I tried it, it works great.
2014-03-17 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
check out what Sheldon Brown suggests.

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
2014-03-18 9:02 AM
in reply to: #4966906

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The Park Tool works ok, but you're much better off getting a chain lock (ex KMC) and clean the chain by soaking it in equal part water/Simple Green for about 15min, give it a good scrub and then rinse with clean water and pat dry.
2014-03-18 5:13 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hey Kev Are there any chain cleaning systems that do a good job? Normally I drop my chain but am thinking I might want to clean it on the bike from time to time. Also, hearing a lot of folks using wd 40 for chain cleaner, pro's or con's? Thanks.

WD40 is a solvent and light lubricant, and certainly can be used to clean a chain.  Regardless- cleaning a chain is a bit of a pain.  Sure, it's probably best to remove the chain and bathe it in a solvent, and then relubricate her.  I figure if it's easy to do, I'll do it it more often.  I got the Park chain cleaner originally, until I dropped it and it broke.  So, I tried this company's, which is easily just as good if not better than the Park.

http://www.amazon.com/Filzer-CC-2-Chain-Cleaner/dp/B004G7FLFC/

Does a nice job.  I've used Simple Green, but I like the dedicated chain cleaners better.  I got a big bottle of the Spin Doctor stuff from Performance Bike, and mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with water in the gadget.  Does a really nice job.  Wipe it down, apply your favorite lubricant and you're good to go.  I'm not claiming that these chain cleaners are the 'best' way to do the job, but they're certainly an EASY way to do it.

2014-03-18 8:38 PM

User image

Austin, Texas

I've personally found that if you use a wet lube, it will quickly attract dust and dirt and after a couple of rides you'll need to clean it again.  If you use a dry lube it won't last as long and you'll have to re-apply.  For me it is easier to simply re-apply a dry lube instead of cleaning and applying more wet lube.  My favorite lube is Rock "N" Roll lube.  I use the Extreme version on all my bikes (Mountain, Road, BMX) but Velo news ran a test a while back and they found Rock "N" Roll Gold to be the best performing commercial lube (pure paraffin wax actually was the best).  The nice thing about the Rock "N" Roll lubes is they clean and lube at the same time.  You squirt a good stream on your chain pedal a little then wipe it all off until no more gunk comes off.  I recommend getting one of their bigger refil style bottles for the best bang for your buck since you will use more than a traditional lube because of the cleaning process.

All of these chain cleaning kits are a waste of time and money when a rag and you're favorite cleaner will do just fine.

2014-03-18 8:45 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
I would use any chain cleaner up there like parktool or any brand less the cleaning chemical parktool citrus cleaner is darn expensive. I use the one below, dirt cheap available at Home Depot or Lowes.

(zep.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
zep.jpg (25KB - 1 downloads)
2014-03-19 2:36 AM

User image

I use simple green and a brush I got from target for $2.  Looks like a big tooth brush, but I think it's meant to clean the grout in your shower.  Dip the brush in simple green and scrub the top and bottom side of the chain as you slowly turn the cranks backwards.  Then do each side of the chain, easiest if you do it while the chain is on the big chain ring and again...slowly turn the cranks backwards so you get all the chain.  Then hold the brush against each of the pulley sprockets and pedal backwards.  Shoot the everything down with water...total...less than 5 minutes and it gets my chain far cleaner than I got it while soaking it in degreaser.  I can dry the chain with an old white towel and it the chain gets so clean the towel barely gets dirty.

2014-03-19 5:35 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

If you're going to clean it, do it right every week!

http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

2014-03-19 6:23 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Danielson Ct
Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by Hey Kev Are there any chain cleaning systems that do a good job? Normally I drop my chain but am thinking I might want to clean it on the bike from time to time. Also, hearing a lot of folks using wd 40 for chain cleaner, pro's or con's? Thanks.

WD40 is a solvent and light lubricant, and certainly can be used to clean a chain.  Regardless- cleaning a chain is a bit of a pain.  Sure, it's probably best to remove the chain and bathe it in a solvent, and then relubricate her.  I figure if it's easy to do, I'll do it it more often.  I got the Park chain cleaner originally, until I dropped it and it broke.  So, I tried this company's, which is easily just as good if not better than the Park.

http://www.amazon.com/Filzer-CC-2-Chain-Cleaner/dp/B004G7FLFC/

Does a nice job.  I've used Simple Green, but I like the dedicated chain cleaners better.  I got a big bottle of the Spin Doctor stuff from Performance Bike, and mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with water in the gadget.  Does a really nice job.  Wipe it down, apply your favorite lubricant and you're good to go.  I'm not claiming that these chain cleaners are the 'best' way to do the job, but they're certainly an EASY way to do it.

It seemed to get good reviews. Thanks for the heads up.

2014-03-20 12:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by audiojan

The Park Tool works ok, but you're much better off getting a chain lock (ex KMC) and clean the chain by soaking it in equal part water/Simple Green for about 15min, give it a good scrub and then rinse with clean water and pat dry.

This. Always. I buy Wipperman links and use my chain of choice. But taking the chain off the bike and the cassette of if the hub is the best way.

Edited by pitt83 2014-03-20 12:17 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chain cleaning Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Chain Cleaning

Started by cjohns716
Views: 959 Posts: 6

2012-07-30 4:21 PM BrianRunsPhilly

Keeping chain clean

Started by Flapjack
Views: 707 Posts: 3

2011-08-06 6:16 PM Flapjack

When to clean and lube chain?

Started by BiscuitJustice
Views: 1089 Posts: 6

2010-04-29 5:12 PM TaylorB

Chain cleaning advice from Sheldon Brown....

Started by jsnowash
Views: 2222 Posts: 7

2009-04-03 12:36 PM cusetri

How do you keep your chains clean?????? Pages: 1 2

Started by shubydoobydo
Views: 2190 Posts: 26

2008-08-22 6:41 PM rgretsof
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
comments : 0
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.
date : November 5, 2008
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?

date : May 30, 2008
Discussions on chain cleaning and degreasers, proper crank length, triathlon bike fit, lateral foot pain, foot numbness and tricep and shoulder pain.
date : April 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 2
Have you been doing all of your bike cleaning, maintenance and repairs by leaning it up against something? Try it again with a dedicated bike repair stand.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : December 12, 2004
author : CLLinIA
comments : 1
What you can do to clean up your local swimming hole and keep it clean!