General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you spend on your training programs? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-19 5:35 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: What do you spend on your training programs?
Unless I have a chance to consistently win, and I don't, I don't see a need to pay $100 - $200 a month for a coach that designs plans for me. I will, however, pay for swim stroke lessons / analysis just because I want to get better.

As for a training plan, I figure I need a certain amount of time, yards, miles, and miles to reach my goals and based on all of the useful tips here and elsewhere I have a pretty good grasp on what I need to do. Could a plan from a coach be better than what I create and my results improve as well? Sure - but the value in the cost just isn't there for me personally.

**EDIT: I lied. I spend $10 / month on TrainerRoad and it is worth every penny. Almost feels like I'm stealing at that price but don't tell them I said that.**

Edited by tb1000 2014-03-19 5:36 PM

2014-03-19 9:20 PM
in reply to: tb1000

User image

Pro

Right at $7000/year for Jr. 

Includes swim club, run coaching, bike coaching and a tri coach,  who oversees the different components and keeps the overall program from becoming too much......and mostly demands rest when appropriate.

Sometimes I think we're crazy.....but then I hear what people spend on lawyers, drug counseling, etc. for their kids and I'm good with it.....except sometimes I think we're crazy.

2014-03-19 9:30 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by Left Brain

Includes swim club, run coaching, bike coaching and a tri coach,  who oversees the different components and keeps the overall program from becoming too much......and mostly demands rest when appropriate.

Sometimes I think we're crazy.....but then I hear what people spend on lawyers, drug counseling, etc. for their kids and I'm good with it.....except sometimes I think we're crazy.

Sorry, but there are no guarantees. Plenty of young athletes with involved and loving parents, etc. still end up in trouble or needing help one way or another. Be content with your decisions and enjoy the journey, but I would be reluctant to draw that type of conclusion, having just recently lived it as a Dad.
2014-03-19 9:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ejshowers
Originally posted by Left Brain

Sorry, but there are no guarantees. Plenty of young athletes with involved and loving parents, etc. still end up in trouble or needing help one way or another. Be content with your decisions and enjoy the journey, but I would be reluctant to draw that type of conclusion, having just recently lived it as a Dad.

Naw.....unfortunately I see a ton of kids who's parents spend it the other way.  You have your experiences, I have mine.....it is what it is.   The point was, kids are expensive no matter which way it goes.  We're probably all crazy after raising them.

My apologies if it struck a nerve, not intended.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-19 9:47 PM
2014-03-20 4:33 AM
in reply to: jhoj

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

My first year in Tri I went off a couple of the plans they had on here with success I feel.  Last year I trained off of J. Friels book and went off his IM plan.  Did the best I could at fitting in the big workouts even though I worked every other weekend.  This year I might go off of his book again for 1/2 training but I will probably just kinda "wing" it and see what happens.  I think I have a pretty good grasp on what amounts of training volume I need to get in to continue to improve.

Here lately I have really been running a ton.  I have a marathon coming on the 26th of April that I want to crush.  (first stand alone marathon).

2014-03-21 11:26 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
I spent $10.00 on Matt Fitzgerald's book of training plans on Amazon 4 years ago. It turned out to be a pretty good investment!!

Everybody is different. Some like to have the input/accountability of a coach, others are like me and would rather do it themselves.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you spend on your training programs? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Base training to training program

Started by lamarvenoy
Views: 888 Posts: 6

2012-02-08 12:55 AM beebs

HIM Training BT Training Program

Started by ddahms
Views: 907 Posts: 5

2012-01-30 11:06 AM ddahms

Who is doing a first Marathon this Fall-What program are you using

Started by davidson3
Views: 1335 Posts: 10

2009-06-03 12:28 PM redfoot31415

Training Program Question - Brick Training?

Started by Celly
Views: 919 Posts: 5

2007-04-01 6:52 PM cadreamer

training program when doing other sports?

Started by KathyG
Views: 519 Posts: 3

2004-11-02 4:29 PM jasmine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.

date : February 16, 2009
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. For month two, we are increasing the intensity and duration of the workouts.
date : January 18, 2009
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.