Other Resources The Political Joe » NC school bans 9 yo's My Little Pony Backpack Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-03-24 8:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: NC school bans 9 yo's My Little Pony Backpack

Originally posted by braciole
Originally posted by Left Brain I don't know what to think of that......my kids would have been wearing big sombreros and joining in on the fun.
Ok, so what if your kids were told ahead of time not to wear sombreros because of the reaction it might evoke from others, and that if they did wear the sombreros they'd get suspended? If it helps for purposes of the thought exercise, (1) what it was only your kids who wanted to wear sombreros and got the admonition (because they thought it'd be fun, and not because they were joining the fun of others) and (2) what if was during your kids' prime sports season so that a suspension would mean missing a county/state qualifying event or playoff game or the game that a scout had committed to come to?

I can't play these kinds of "excersises"........I suck at them.  My kids have been raised to not make fun of others.  My kids have been raised to stick up for others who are being made fun of.  My kids wouldn't wear an American Flag shirt on Cinco de Mayo day at school because that's stupid.....my kids do enough stupid crap unintentionally or because they don't know any better. they don't tend to do stupid crap on purpose, and they'd certainly know better then to wear a t-shirt that was not in the spirit of the day just to get a reaction out of someone (which is most certainly what this is). 

As for my kids getting suspended from school and missing evfents......my son has been suspended twice for fighting.  He was in middle school and it didn't cost him anything but having to make up the work he missed.  I took him fishing.  In my opinion he was right both times.  The school has their rules and we understand what they are.  We have family rules too.  If you break a school rule and a family rule you pay twice.  If you only break a school rule you pay on that end but not at home.  We encourage not getting beat up at school......so self-defense and defense of others is fine and wins you a fishing trip, regardless of the school rule.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-24 8:47 AM

2014-03-24 9:41 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain I don't know what to think of that......my kids would have been wearing big sombreros and joining in on the fun.
Ok, so what if your kids were told ahead of time not to wear sombreros because of the reaction it might evoke from others, and that if they did wear the sombreros they'd get suspended? If it helps for purposes of the thought exercise, (1) what it was only your kids who wanted to wear sombreros and got the admonition (because they thought it'd be fun, and not because they were joining the fun of others) and (2) what if was during your kids' prime sports season so that a suspension would mean missing a county/state qualifying event or playoff game or the game that a scout had committed to come to?

I can't play these kinds of "excersises"........I suck at them.  My kids have been raised to not make fun of others.  My kids have been raised to stick up for others who are being made fun of.  My kids wouldn't wear an American Flag shirt on Cinco de Mayo day at school because that's stupid.....my kids do enough stupid crap unintentionally or because they don't know any better. they don't tend to do stupid crap on purpose, and they'd certainly know better then to wear a t-shirt that was not in the spirit of the day just to get a reaction out of someone (which is most certainly what this is). 

As for my kids getting suspended from school and missing evfents......my son has been suspended twice for fighting.  He was in middle school and it didn't cost him anything but having to make up the work he missed.  I took him fishing.  In my opinion he was right both times.  The school has their rules and we understand what they are.  We have family rules too.  If you break a school rule and a family rule you pay twice.  If you only break a school rule you pay on that end but not at home.  We encourage not getting beat up at school......so self-defense and defense of others is fine and wins you a fishing trip, regardless of the school rule.

That's how I was raised, and guess what, people stop pickin on you if you hit them back. I think a lot of these overprotective rules just make things worse.

2014-03-25 12:37 PM
in reply to: braciole

Veteran
Minnesota

Originally posted by switch
But really? Nobody who could talk to these kids to prevent the "outbreak of violence" the school administrators were so worried about? 

In my experience there are a slim few teachers or administrators who can or care to do this effectively, which perpetuates the issues that put the administrations in the position of having these types of calls, which they often get wrong (I think the Cinco de Mayo school got it wrong, but the court said it was OK).

Usually the kids who make repeated poor decisions are beyond the influence of teachers.
2014-03-25 12:37 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

New user
Still more dumbazz school administrators and policy. You just gotta love kids who do the right, compassionate thing.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/25/9-year-old-shaved-her-he...
2014-03-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by NXS Still more dumbazz school administrators and policy. You just gotta love kids who do the right, compassionate thing. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/25/9-year-old-shaved-her-he...
Yes.

Personally, I'd run far, far away from a school which says that its dress code policy was “created to promote safety, uniformity and a non-distracting environment for the school’s students.”

We don't need no education.

2014-03-25 2:28 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Do they require lobotomy's before one can be hired as a school administrator?

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » NC school bans 9 yo's My Little Pony Backpack Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Incandescent light bulb ban Pages: 1 2

Started by zed707
Views: 3304 Posts: 29

2014-01-27 5:44 PM Kido

Religion in schools again Pages: 1 2

Started by tuwood
Views: 3175 Posts: 26

2013-09-13 10:56 AM tuwood

Prayer in School Pages: 1 2

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 4199 Posts: 39

2013-08-09 12:22 PM tuwood

block funding to schools that ban imaginary guns

Started by idahocraig
Views: 1633 Posts: 15

2013-07-12 1:36 PM tuwood

CA "Gun Control" Bill basically bans all firearms

Started by bcart1991
Views: 2144 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 10:30 PM SevenZulu
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2007
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
The folks at RSS weren’t happy with the 4.75, so they updated the backpack and sent me a new one. They have continued engineering this already fantastic bag to make it even better.