Other Resources My Cup of Joe » HR PTO Question? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-20 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: HR PTO Question?
We are looking to change our PTO policy, because we are over generous and creating a liability for our PTO time by allowing employees to accrue time off (based on years of service and generous) and carry over from year to year. This was a short term disability type plan that we did a long time ago (prior to my arrival), so that if our employees got sick and they were good with their time, then they could take care of themselves. People could accrue up to 12 weeks PTO time.

We have now decided, that we want to provide short term disability policy for all employees, and change our PTO time to use it or lose it per year, but allow 5 days to be carried from any one year to the next.

What is a typical time off policy? and/or good time off policy. We also require all employees to take a 40hr vacation every year, after year 2.

This is our current PTO (sick and vacation) policy, which is based on years of service:

Years 1-4 18 Days/year
Years 5-9 22.5 Days/year
Years 10-11 23.25 Days/year
Years 12-13 24 Days/year
Years 14+ 27 Days/year

2014-03-20 8:48 AM
in reply to: pilotzs

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: HR PTO Question?
I want your PTO.

Mine is
1-5yr 15 days
6-10yr 17 days
10-15yr 20 days
16+ 25 days

No rollover, all use it or lose it.
2014-03-20 8:57 AM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
I work for a Fortune 100 company and our PTO policy is as follows:

0-3 Yrs - 1.5 days per month (15 days)
3 - 10 Yrs - 2.0 days per month (20 days)
10-20 Yrs - 2.5 per month (25 days)
20+ Yrs - 3.0 days per month (30 days)

We also get 4 Personal holidays in addition to the 7 days we are closed for National holidays

We accrue on the first day of every month as long as you are at work. You do not accrue if you are on a leave of any type,

You only accrue for the first 10 months of the year. In all states except California, carryover is 20 days, you can accrue over that during the year but need to be at twenty by year end or lose those extra days.

In California, you can carryover 50 days but quit accruing if you hit 50 days at any time in the year. If you drop below fifty before November, you can use November and December to accrue your normal allotment for any month you missed accruing due to being at the 50 day limit in prior months.

Our company self funds short term disability, but you must use 5 days of PTO before short term disability kicks in.

I think your five day carryover is a little light and you might want to make sure your competitors don't beat your offering from a talent retention perspective.
2014-03-20 10:21 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

First off, make sure you check with your state laws to ensure that you're in compliance.  We "formally" do not allow rollover days to keep the liability down, but I left verbiage in our policy to allow carryover with prior supervisor approval.

Here's our full vacation policy at my company:

I.      Holidays, Vacation, Sick Leave and Leaves of Absence

A.   Holidays

Cambium observes the following standard holidays and provides all full-time employees time off with pay at their normal base rate unless otherwise provided in this policy:

New Year's Day                       Memorial Day                             Good Friday
Independence Day                   Thanksgiving Day                       New Years Eve
Day after Thanksgiving            Christmas Eve                            Labor Day        

Christmas Day

1.    Pay in Lieu of Time Off

Cambium may, in its discretion, require an employee to work on scheduled holidays and provide pay and/or another day off in lieu of time off.

2.    Weekends and Vacations

Holidays falling on a Saturday or Sunday are normally observed on the preceding Friday or the following Monday respectively. Holidays that occur during an employee's vacation are not to be counted as vacation days taken.

3.    Eligibility

Part-time and temporary employees are ineligible for holiday benefits. All employees are ineligible for holiday benefits that accrue while on leave of absence.

B.   Vacation Policy

Cambium provides vacation benefits to eligible employees to enable them to take paid time off for rest and recreation. Cambium believes this time is valuable for employees in order to enhance their productivity and to make their work experience with Cambium personally satisfying. Cambium also provides long-service employees with additional vacation benefits as years of service are accumulated. 

The length of eligible service is calculated on the basis of a “Benefit Year.”  A Benefit Year is the 12-month period that begins when the employee starts to earn vacation time.  An employee’s Benefit Year may be extended for any significant leave of absence except military leave of absence.  Military leave has no effect on this calculation.

1.    Vacation Time

All regular full-time employees who have completed six months of continuous service, measured from the date of hire, are eligible to for vacation benefits. Continuous service is defined as service that is uninterrupted by termination of employment and subsequent rehire by Cambium or a break in service that has been bridged. Vacation time for regular full-time employees is as follows:

During 1 through 4 years of continuous service, the employee accrues .83 days per month of             vacation for each calendar year (2 weeks per calendar year)

During 5 through 9 years of continuous service, the employee accrues 1.25 days per month           of vacation for each calendar year (3 weeks per calendar year)

After 10 years of continuous service, the employee accrues 1.67 days per month of            vacation for each calendar year (4 weeks per calendar year)

2.    Part-time and Temporary Employees

Regular part-time employees working a minimum of twenty (20) hours per week accrue vacation benefits on a pro-rata basis. Temporary employees and employees who work less than three (3) hours per week do not accrue vacation benefits.

3.    Determination of Vacation Pay

Vacation time off is paid at the employee’s base pay rate at the time of vacation.  It does not include overtime or any special forms of compensation such as incentive, commissions, bonuses, or shift differentials.

4.    Pay in Lieu of Vacation

No employee will receive pay in lieu of vacation except on the termination of their employment, as described below, unless the employee has deferred their vacation at Cambium’ request.

5.    Vacation Pay on Termination

On termination of employment, the employee is paid all accrued but unused vacation at the employee's base rate of pay at the time of their termination.

6.    Vacation Approval

All vacations must be approved 30 calendar days in advance.

7.    Vacation Scheduling

Scheduling of vacations is to be done in a manner consistent with Cambium’s operational requirements. Vacation requests should be submitted by employees to their immediate supervisor for approval at least 30 calendar days prior to the commencement of a vacation period. In the event that two or more employees have requested vacations covering the same period and may not be absent simultaneously, preference shall be given to the employee with the greater length of service.

8.    Vacation Use

All vacation days should be taken during  the calendar year in which they accrue.  Carryover of vacation days to the following calendar year require prior supervisor approval.

9.    Vacation Advances

An employee is not permitted to borrow on future accrual of vacation benefits, except with the approval of Human Resources. In no case may vacation time be borrowed or taken before an employee becomes eligible to begin accruing vacation as described above. If an employee has used any vacation days before they have been accrued and then leaves the employment of Cambium, the amount of pay for any vacation time taken that has not accrued at the time of termination will be deducted from the employee's final paycheck.

10.  Holidays Occurring during Vacation

If an observed Company holiday (see guideline entitled Holidays) occurs during an employee's scheduled vacation, no deduction from accrued vacation will be made for the holiday period. An employee may add to their vacation period by adding to or using the holiday period in place of accrued vacation time.

11.  Vacation Increments

Accrued vacation must be taken by eligible employees in eight (8) hour increments.

12.  Vacation for Family-Care and Medical-Leave Purpose

Employees who request family care or medical leave pursuant to Cambium’s Family-Care and Medical-Leave policy must apply any available accrued vacation pay to their family or medical leave.

C.   Sick Leave

In order to help prevent loss of earnings caused by accident or illness, or by other emergencies, Cambium has established paid sick and emergency leave.

1.    Eligibility

All regular full-time employees are eligible for 40 hours sick leave per calendar year after the ninety-day probation period is completed.  Sick leave will be counted in four (4) hour increments only. Regular part-time employees are eligible to accrue sick leave on a pro-rata basis. Employees do not accrue sick leave during their introductory periods. Temporary employees are ineligible to earn or receive sick-leave benefits.

2.    Use

• Sick leave may be taken for personal illness, emergency, or disability, or for a family-care leave purpose as described in Cambium’s family-care and medical-leave policy.
  • Hours absent for medical and dental appointments will be treated as sick leave.
  • New employees who are absent due to illness or disability during their introductory periods will not be compensated.
  • Cambium retains the right to request verification from a licensed health-care provider for all absences due to illness or disability. Sick pay may be withheld if a satisfactory verification is not received.
  • Sick leave will not accrue during any leave of absence.

3.    Pay in Lieu of Sick Leave

No employee will receive pay in lieu of sick leave under any circumstances, and employees will not receive pay for unused sick leave on termination of employment.

2014-03-20 10:31 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

We can accrue sick pay to 1040 hours.  I earn it at a rate of 8 hours per month.  

Vacation:

1 year - 5 days

2-5 years - 10 days

6-12 years - 15 days

13-17 years - 20 days

18-25 years - 25 days

26-retirement - 30 days

We can carry over a total of 1/2 of our yearly allotment of vacation tiem to the next year. 

Comp time can be taken in lieu of Overtime up to an accrual of 160 hours.

2014-03-20 12:43 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Current employer offers 2 weeks PTO per year initially. 

When I started working 27 years ago, that company was quite progressive and had both vacation and sick time.  To discourage people from treating unused sick days as vacation days, they would convert unused sick days into long-term sick days 2:1 up to 6 or 12 weeks (details are fuzzy).  Long-term sick time could not be used for less than 5 consecutive days.  I thought it was a decent way to encourage  people to use sick time when needed. 

2014-03-20 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I work at a university.  "P & S" stands for Professional and Scientific.  There are other kinds of jobs at the U, but for P & S jobs the rates of accrual are:

Vacation:

0-3 years: 15d/year

3-6 years: 20d/year

6+ years: 24d/year

Sick Leave:

All P & S staff get 18d/year

2014-03-20 2:44 PM
in reply to: switch

New user
I thought this was a thread on power take-off, like on a tractor, something I actually knew something about. I guess I need to stick to the garden thread.

2014-03-20 3:55 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Expert
Alabama
Thank you for the replies. Gives me something to go on.
2014-03-20 4:07 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by NXS I thought this was a thread on power take-off, like on a tractor, something I actually knew something about. I guess I need to stick to the garden thread.

HAHAHA!  Me too!  I mean, power take off was my first thought, not that I know much about it.  Oh, and HR = Heart Rate :)

2014-03-20 5:55 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

PTO - 80 hours a year, accrues until you use it.

Vacation - 10 days up to 5 yr employment, 15 after that, use it or lose it. Somehow I ended up with some sort of benefit at some point where I get 20 days vacation per year. I'm the last one in the company with it and they haven't taken it away. Then again, I haven't found a reason to use all 4 weeks either, so that tells you a bit about me, doesn't it.

Upon termination of employment, all PTO time disappears and unused vacation time is paid out. And there is something in there about not getting anything vacation wise until after the first 6 months of employment. 

2014-03-20 6:18 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by NXS I thought this was a thread on power take-off, like on a tractor, something I actually knew something about. I guess I need to stick to the garden thread.

HAHAHA!  Me too!  I mean, power take off was my first thought, not that I know much about it.  Oh, and HR = Heart Rate

Another Heart Rate Power Take Off here.

Big Trucks also have PTO.  Makes it worse that for the first 5 years at my company, that software was MY responsibility.   So, "Paid Time Off" or "Parent Teacher Organization" never even stand a chance!

2014-03-20 6:30 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by moondawg14

HAHAHA!  Me too!  I mean, power take off was my first thought, not that I know much about it.  Oh, and HR = Heart Rate :)

Big Trucks also have PTO.  Makes it worse that for the first 5 years at my company, that software was MY responsibility.   So, "Paid Time Off" or "Parent Teacher Organization" never even stand a chance!

I'm actually thinking we could use the first thing you think of when you see "PTO"  as some kind of litmus test for coolness :)

2014-03-20 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

HAHAHA!  Me too!  I mean, power take off was my first thought, not that I know much about it.  Oh, and HR = Heart Rate

I'm actually thinking we could use the first thing you think of when you see "PTO"  as some kind of litmus test for coolness

Ouch, Parent Teacher Organization for me. At best I get to Paid Time Off. My coolness factor is so low.

2014-03-20 7:04 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by cdban66

I'm actually thinking we could use the first thing you think of when you see "PTO"  as some kind of litmus test for coolness :)

Ouch, Parent Teacher Organization for me. At best I get to Paid Time Off. My coolness factor is so low.

PTO is good too, just different. 

Chris, you have 6 guitars.  You have no shortage of coolness.

2014-03-20 7:43 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

I'm actually thinking we could use the first thing you think of when you see "PTO"  as some kind of litmus test for coolness

PTO is good too, just different. 

Chris, you have 6 guitars.  You have no shortage of coolness.

Thanks, but I'm down to 5. The new one is in the shop. I should have it back in 2-3 months. 

2014-03-21 10:34 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Extreme Veteran
you have a lot of good answers already but I want to throw my 2 cents in:

my company offers separate Vacation and sick leave days.

Vacation has not max accrual amount and rolls over, however if someone leave the payout for vacation is only up to 156 hours. year 1 yo start earning vacation at a rate of 8 hours (1 day) per month. This increases by 8 hours per year until a max of 14.67 hours per month is reached. we also have 1-2 personal holiday's per year depending on how the other recognized holidays we take fall. we have a maximum of 12 holiday days off during the calendar year.

Sick leave is accrued at a rate of 8 hours per month for new folks and goes up by 8 hours per year to a max of 14.67 just like vacation does. However sick leave tops out at 176 hours and will not accrue beyond that. If you take a sick day it will be subtracted and then in the next month you will accrue back to 176 hours. The reasoning behind this is that the short term disability plan our company has can take up to 4 weeks to go into effect. If someone has something happen, that 176 hours of sick leave will cover them until disability kicks in. There is no payout for accrued sick leave if someone leaves/quits however, only for accrued vacation.

we also have no required vacation policy so we do have some folks who rarely go on vacation that have 4-500 hours of vacation just sitting there. We do limit a person to no more than 3 weeks off at a time so we at least do not have any fear of someone with 400 hours of vacation taking a 50 day vacation and leaving us in a lurch.
2014-03-24 6:23 PM
in reply to: bel83

User image

Elite
Reno
I am on a forced vacation day today as they were trying to pull the hours down before the fiscal year end. Our policy had been that you can accrue 2x your annual leave. I am not sure where we are going with this.

0-5 ys - 10 days

5-10 yrs - 15 days

Etc

4 days sick leave.

I am not happy about it. Taking a day a week off just makes me behind at work and clients suffer.

2014-03-29 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
<5 years = 0.0385 hours accrued per hour worked up to 80 hours per year

>5 years = 0.0577 hours accrues per hour worked up to 120 hours per year

Anything over our max accrual gets wiped clean on January 1. So if I have 88 hours on Jan 1 (some from prior year), 8 would disappear and my balance would be 80 hours to begin the year.

We get 7 national holidays:
NY Day
Memorial Day
July 4th
Labor Day
Thanksgiving and day after
Christmas day

BUT...I'm salary in sales and can work from home (or wherever) as needed. So if something comes up, I'll just tell our office mgr I'm WFH and she'll route calls to my cell if someone calls me at the office. So taking PTO for a short illness doesn't really come up that often.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » HR PTO Question? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Another HR question

Started by ricmachado
Views: 885 Posts: 11

2011-02-09 8:29 AM meherczeg

Question for HR types

Started by bel83
Views: 906 Posts: 7

2010-12-07 10:20 AM condorman

Question for HR Managers

Started by chevy57
Views: 1934 Posts: 21

2010-12-03 9:39 AM CKTX

HR Question (Salary Negotiating)

Started by sfm15
Views: 1576 Posts: 2

2010-04-10 12:19 PM Dano2010

Two weeks notice- HR Question

Started by rd04
Views: 973 Posts: 18

2006-11-21 10:54 AM regimom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : December 8, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Highly trained athletes can maintain a specific HR longer than a newbie without much creeping; their endurance is greater—thus able to keep pace efficiently and without much additional increase in HR.
date : June 4, 2006
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : June 4, 2006
comments : 8
Training plan terms and definitions for use in silver and gold member plan workouts. Many workout drills include VIDEO tutorials, see links below.
date : January 29, 2006
author : AMSSM
My doctor says 140bpm HR is my max, but that feels like a walk in the park... I don't know what to do, how to train, and my motivation is waning. Any suggestions?

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?