General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arlington Place International Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-20 2:52 PM

User image

Subject: Arlington Place International
Anybody else doing this race? Would enjoy talking with others who will be there.
Deb

2014-03-30 8:18 AM
in reply to: nmk62303

User image

Subject: RE: Arlington Place International
I am planning on doing the sprint, but haven't registered. Not to many people listed on the setup site.
2014-04-17 10:08 PM

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast
Hi Deb

I will be bringing up the rear next sat but it is the start of the season so at least I will pick up where I left off I went out last week to the site and could not really locate the start. According to the bike map you veer right once you are in the subdivision however all the water accesses I found were brackish so I went straight vice veering off and found a place that I think will be use. If I am correct, you might want to bring booties if you have some since the access was a bit rocky.

The bike course is flat and long for an international. When you get to the main highway you will go left for a couple of miles and then hang a right on Kershaw. This seemed to be the fastest part of the course but heads up on this road. No shoulder and on the corners there are deep ruts so if you cross the fog line plan on a fall. There are patches of cracked/sunken asphalt but no sections missing. Right before the Janiero rd turn the payment is poor so stay in the middle of the lane, there is also a white church at the turn to give you a visual.

Once you make the 1st sharp turn on Janiero rd you will be up against the river. If there is any wind, this is the road that we will feel it on. This section also felt like there was a couple of false flats but I have a tender Achilles so it might just of been me. Any not a bad road, just be careful on the corners not to get off the road. This is also the main road to Oriental from the ferry so there will be moments of heavy traffic when the ferry loads and unloads. Hopefully we will not have someone driving by trying to break a land speed record to catch the ferry.

Once back in the subdivision the run course is essentially flat with one "hill" if I had the start area right. The roads will be a bit crowded I suspect with bike and runners. If you are planning to leave early you might want to park away from the transition area, I can see getting blocked in by the course. Overall it looks like it will be a fast course if there is no wind, long but flat.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. The ferry schedule is posted on line and is usually not crowded however on Sat I would plan on the ferry being full on some runs.

Have fun and the best of luck....
Joe
2014-04-24 8:11 PM
in reply to: JoeK

User image

Thanks for the info, Joe! That really helps to know more about the course. Yeah we may need to leave early, gotta get my son to Huntersville for a kids tri Sat evening! I hope the wind is kind. Someone I know who is racing on Sunday asked about any current out there. I swam at Jamestown last June with the VTS and there was a bit of current, it was brackish. Looks like they posted the water temp 65.4 tonight.
2014-04-28 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Was thinking about y'all this weekend racing Arlington Place. I was at Camp Seagull with my son's Y Guides Spring Outing, and I'm betting the water was chilly!
2014-04-28 9:41 AM
in reply to: fgump

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Anyone have first hand information about why the swim was cancelled on Saturday?

2014-04-28 12:16 PM
in reply to: japarker24

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Some of the water support people that were recruited from the area did not show up, so there was not enough to have a safe swim. Sunday's swim went off without a problem.
2014-04-28 12:57 PM
in reply to: NickInNC

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by NickInNC

Some of the water support people that were recruited from the area did not show up, so there was not enough to have a safe swim. Sunday's swim went off without a problem.
That sux! I mean, really sux. And I don't even like swimming!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arlington Place International Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Recommended Pet Sitters or Dog Boarding Places

Started by runnergirl
Views: 1910 Posts: 7

2009-12-14 2:49 PM runnergirl

Good places to swim in Durham?

Started by neuronet
Views: 2815 Posts: 14

2009-10-20 3:11 PM neuronet

Places to Swim

Started by rsmorgan
Views: 3890 Posts: 10

2009-07-24 7:55 AM matt_tarheel

Places to stay for White Lake

Started by SlickWillie
Views: 1502 Posts: 8

2008-04-07 12:43 PM SlickWillie

Places to run Stadiums in Raleigh

Started by sboro33
Views: 1037 Posts: 2

2007-09-11 10:40 AM tjtryon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.