General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Faster pull than swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-21 3:16 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Faster pull than swim
Is it normal to swim faster with a pull buoy? I am about 5-10 sec/100 faster with the buoy.

Since I do not kick much in a tri, and I'm wear a wetsuit, does it make sense to do most of my training with a pull buoy?

2014-03-21 3:26 AM
in reply to: #4968834

Subject: RE: Faster pull than swim
It can be, usually that means there is some big flaws in your technique and most likely with your body position in the water.

If you want to do pull work do it without any float and using your core muscles to maintain a high position in the water.
2014-03-21 5:49 AM
in reply to: leftrunner

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Agree with above, you prolly have some issues with maintaining a hydrodynamic position in the water. A wetsuit may correct for this because of the buoyancy, but if the water is too warm for wetsuits your time will suffer. Most likely, matter of better engaging your core but could be your kick mechanics as well.
2014-03-21 6:36 AM
in reply to: #4968835

User image

Expert
I used to be faster too and still am if I'm tired. But that just shows lack of form. Helps keeps my hips up. I'd say more practice and those numbers will even out or the pull will even be slower.
2014-03-21 6:49 AM

User image

Exton, PA
70%-80% of your swimming should be without aids(pull bouy's, kick boards, paddles,...). You will grow dependent on them and your techniques will suffer.

With good form you swim should be faster without the pull bouy
2014-03-21 8:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by leftrunner

Is it normal to swim faster with a pull buoy? I am about 5-10 sec/100 faster with the buoy.

Since I do not kick much in a tri, and I'm wear a wetsuit, does it make sense to do most of my training with a pull buoy?

Yes it is common to swim faster with a pull boy, but that only helps you diagnose your issue, not fix it! You need to start looking for balance solutions and issues. Three common sources of sinking legs (aside from the fact that legs sink on their own if not counter balanced) are

1) Head is looking forward or up or otherwise held up riather than being released and supported by the water. Head goes up, hips go down and legs with them.
2) moving arm weight is behind the lungs. work on a "front quadrant" stroke and the weight of teh recovery arm will be in front of the lungs for more of the stroke helping to counterbalance the weight of the legs
3) pushing down at the front of the stroke - a poor catch in the front will push water down , which leverages through the bouyancy of the lungs to sink the hips.

FIx these without the pullbouy or wetsuit and you'll be a much more skilled swimmer making you even FASTER YET when you Do wear a wetsuit.

Edited by AdventureBear 2014-03-21 8:03 AM

2014-03-21 12:32 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
agree with the above, it means do more work on correcting what's wrong.
Depending on your goals (short and/or long term) you're going to have to do some serious swimming at some point, and none of the good swimmers I know let their legs dangle behind them (even in a wetsuit). Might has well have good form when it comes to put in the distance.
2014-03-21 9:38 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
My pull sets were a real eye opener for me. I was swimming considerably faster with the buoy than I was "unassisted." Instead of saying well I don't kick much when racing and the wetsuit will help I realized it showcased my flaws In Body position.

And hey, won't you know it after focusing in technique and form and keeping my legs closer to the surface not only is my swim faster but also my pull sets.

You've got problems with your form, we all do, it's a common struggle and the hardest to overcome because training MORE won't help but training CORRECTLY will .
2014-03-22 6:19 AM

User image

Expert
OK, yeah, I figured it was something like what everyone is saying.

So, now how to best fix my issues? Any thoughts on Youtube channels or books to specifically help on form issues? Maybe a coach for a few sessions?
2014-03-22 6:42 AM

New user

So, now how to best fix my issues? Any thoughts on Youtube channels or books to specifically help on form issues? Maybe a coach for a few sessions?

The Total Immersion stuff gets a lot of mention around here.

My local municipal pool has a $30/month Masters swimming program that has a pretty good coach. Cheaper than private lessons, and he actually provides some feedback rather than just workout sets.
2014-03-22 7:47 AM
in reply to: bwalling

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bwalling

The Total Immersion stuff gets a lot of mention around here.

My local municipal pool has a $30/month Masters swimming program that has a pretty good coach. Cheaper than private lessons, and he actually provides some feedback rather than just workout sets.

Funny you should mention TI. I learned how to swim with TI in 2008-9. Maybe I need to get out the book and DVD and do a refresher.

Thanks!

2014-03-22 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Funny, I'm a good 2-3 sec slower per 100 with a pull buoy. I just seem unbalanced without a kick.
2014-03-22 10:32 AM
in reply to: natethomas2000

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I'm reading a lot of posts about position, but what I didn't see mentioned (or maybe I missed it) is that your kick could be so bad that it's slowing you down. We've all heard of (or witnessed) those swimmers that will actually move backwards because their kick is so "off" when they do kick drills.

So, my question is this: What happens when you do kick board drills? I ask because I struggle quite a bit with foot flexibility as well as hooking my foot when on a breath stroke. It's kinda like a drop an anchor every breath (actually getting much better, but it's not fixed yet)
2014-03-22 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by natethomas2000

Funny, I'm a good 2-3 sec slower per 100 with a pull buoy. I just seem unbalanced without a kick.

I believe you really increased your swim last year and made some big gains, did you not? Probably better position in the water and your kick is not only giving you a better position but propelling you forward (something you lose with a buoy)
2014-03-22 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by natethomas2000 Funny, I'm a good 2-3 sec slower per 100 with a pull buoy. I just seem unbalanced without a kick.

I'm the same.  In fact, I'm probably even slower with just the pull buoy as I'm a good 2-3 sec slower per 100 with a pull buoy AND paddles. 

2014-03-22 5:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Ok, it is time we clear something here. In the world of swimming, when word pull is used, it implies use of PADDLES AND PULL BUOY.
So, if you are using paddles, just failing to mention than:

1. It is quite ok to be faster using paddles+buoy as paddles grab a hole lot more water than your bear arms do. Everybody in the world of swimming, when paddles are used, is faster than without.

2. If you are not using paddles, buoy only, what is that for? What skill are you training, simulating wetsuit?
Pulling with buoy only is a waste of time and typical for triathletes, you will not see swimmers do that.

If no paddles, buoy only, you are being faster, than body position as well as your kick need work.

2014-03-22 7:12 PM
in reply to: atasic

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by atasic Ok, it is time we clear something here. In the world of swimming, when word pull is used, it implies use of PADDLES AND PULL BUOY. So, if you are using paddles, just failing to mention than: 1. It is quite ok to be faster using paddles+buoy as paddles grab a hole lot more water than your bear arms do. Everybody in the world of swimming, when paddles are used, is faster than without. 2. If you are not using paddles, buoy only, what is that for? What skill are you training, simulating wetsuit? Pulling with buoy only is a waste of time and typical for triathletes, you will not see swimmers do that. If no paddles, buoy only, you are being faster, than body position as well as your kick need work.

WHAT?!

Swimming with the buoy and no paddles allows you to focus on your stroke mechanics.  Yes, many of us (triathletes) have crappy body position, but using an aid that allows us to have better body position so that we can focus on stroke mechanics and feel better body position is not a "waste of time."

-----

OP, when I first started swimming my body position was pretty bad, and I was faster with a buoy--like you, about 3-4sec/100.  After two years of work, I am consistently faster without a buoy--5 sec/100. 

2014-03-22 9:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

What are the best drills for improving balance?  I suffer from the same issue as the OP.  I'm at least 5-10 seconds slower per 100/m without a pull buoy. And my kick is strong.  I average about 1:55-1:58 per 100 with regular swimming, and 1:45-1:50 with the pull buoy (no paddles)

Fortunately I live in Canada where pretty much every swim is wetsuit legal unless its in a pool. 

Edited by ultramike 2014-03-22 9:07 PM
2014-03-22 9:03 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Yep, isolating front in breaststroke and fly, as well as teaching arm turnover in backstroke is used frequently with swimmers.
OP is suggesting and as I have observed many triathletes use buoy as a crutch. What would you do with it, how do you work on front in freestyle, which aspect of the stroke would you do, just curious.
I have seen peeps training for their races doing countless mindless laps with their buoy between legs.........what is that all about.
2014-03-22 10:34 PM
in reply to: atasic

User image

New user
penticton
i do lots of pull sets.... brett sutton athletes does a lot of those also, joel filliol also. we like to swim at the front of the race...we like to get hard swim in even on days when we rode 5h or after a hard track workout. pull boey is a great tool in the right time.

2014-03-23 3:53 AM
in reply to: #4968834

User image

Expert
I am not using paddles. I definitely move backwards using the kick board so I don't do kick sets. I'm a FOP Sprint triathlete in my area and MOP in longer races. I'm happy with this. I figure the 10sec/100 gains I might make getting a better kick are likely to use up a significant amount of leg strength in a longer race and take away from my overall time.

I hardly kick at all in OW swims. I live and race in Michigan, so wetsuits are always legal. I figure the buoy mimics my wetsuit in buoyancy and isn't a terrible simulation of race conditions. I definitely swim more sets without the buoy, but when I just rode a hard 2 hours, or ran 2 hours the day before, my legs can be my limiter, and giving them a break seems like the nice thing to do.

2014-03-24 8:24 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by natethomas2000 Funny, I'm a good 2-3 sec slower per 100 with a pull buoy. I just seem unbalanced without a kick.
I believe you really increased your swim last year and made some big gains, did you not? Probably better position in the water and your kick is not only giving you a better position but propelling you forward (something you lose with a buoy)

This happened to me this year.  I was faster with the buoy last year, but that has reversed this year - and I think it's entirely because I focused on my swim enough to improve my position (as well as having done enough kick sets that now even a two beat or very easy 6 beat kick helps with speed as well as balance).

I didn't realize just HOW bad my position was until one of my kids video'd me underwater last summer.  Total eye-opener (and bummer at the time!).  I had been swimming with, if not at, the FOP in my AG secondary to my wetsuit helping with the poor form - but my swim still needed a lot of work.  

I'm curious to see how this race season goes, as I've spent more time in the pool and more time on form than ever before.  I'm HOPING that I can swim similar times as last year, but be less red-lined coming out of the water.

As for kick sets, yeah, I thought I didn't need them either and used to focus on a "zero beat kick" when in OWS and in my wettie.  But, having now done them in the pool even when my legs were tired from a run/ride, I feel like a different set of muscles has developed, if only slowly…  We'll see if that pays or was a waste of time during the upcoming race season.

Matt

2014-03-24 8:28 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by AdventureBear
2) moving arm weight is behind the lungs. work on a "front quadrant" stroke and the weight of teh recovery arm will be in front of the lungs for more of the stroke helping to counterbalance the weight of the legs  

So, do you not extend your arm back when finishing the pull?  I've been trying to finish the "pull" with a solid push during the back half of the range of motion.  Do you not move the upper arm back beyond the mid-point of your lungs?

Trying to visualize this one is tough to reconcile with the advice I've seen about finishing the pull with your hand by your upper thigh (and rotating your hips out of the way to let your hand through to start the recovery).  I'd always interpreted the "front quadrant" stroke with a fast recovery so that you didn't start the next stroke until your recovering arm was in front of your shoulders, not limiting the length of the pull.

Appreciate any thoughts on this!

Thanks.

Matt

2014-03-24 12:47 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by AdventureBear

So, do you not extend your arm back when finishing the pull?  I've been trying to finish the "pull" with a solid push during the back half of the range of motion.  Do you not move the upper arm back beyond the mid-point of your lungs?

Trying to visualize this one is tough to reconcile with the advice I've seen about finishing the pull with your hand by your upper thigh (and rotating your hips out of the way to let your hand through to start the recovery).  I'd always interpreted the "front quadrant" stroke with a fast recovery so that you didn't start the next stroke until your recovering arm was in front of your shoulders, not limiting the length of the pull.

Appreciate any thoughts on this!

Thanks.

Matt

Oh, no, don't swim like T-rex!

I am talking about the recovery arm after it completes the stroke, and when the lead arm starts stroking. I didn't even mention the length of the stroke (I hate the word "pull". I prefer catch & press/push. pulling frequently collapses the elbow) .

You need a full stroke, without it you won't get any forward velocity which will just bring you to a stop faster and make your legs sink faster.
2014-03-24 12:50 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Funny you should mention TI. I learned how to swim with TI in 2008-9. Maybe I need to get out the book and DVD and do a refresher.

Thanks!

I pick up something new from Terry every time I watch his videos. Try doing a home refresher first, then reach out to a coach.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Faster pull than swim Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Calf pull trying to get faster on the bike climb, Help

Started by Baowolf
Views: 2083 Posts: 15

2013-09-04 11:24 AM ratherbeswimming

Faster with a pull buoy Pages: 1 2

Started by sandall81
Views: 3683 Posts: 37

2012-03-15 4:00 PM katieh816

Faster with a pull buoy?

Started by Rattlesnake
Views: 1885 Posts: 22

2010-05-06 8:00 AM nerak11

Swim drill guaranteed to make you swim fast

Started by ohiost90
Views: 2365 Posts: 21

2008-07-19 9:01 AM ditchdoc

How can I pull faster?

Started by dashcollins
Views: 720 Posts: 3

2008-04-18 9:13 PM rstocks3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2011
author : Total Immersion
comments : 0
Terry Laughlin will cover the elements of the "speed problem" in swimming, why the traditional means of swimming faster seldom work and why an often-ignored approach is virtually foolproof.

date : July 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Not really a swim drill, but more of a focus on proper catch and pull technique to engage the lats and not the shoulders.

date : December 24, 2008
Discussions on further swim improvements, spicing up endurance swims, kicking for triathlon, pull buoy usage, not moving while kicking and rest intervals for fast/short sets.
date : October 29, 2008
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : May 19, 2008
author : EnduRight
Next time you reach for your pull buoy, think again. By creating dependency on a buoy, the athlete never learns how to correctly create a more efficient freestyle stroke through better body position.
date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...