General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wet suits for the fuller gentleman. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-25 5:26 AM

, Noord-Holland
Subject: Wet suits for the fuller gentleman.
Hi All,
I am looking to purchase my first wet suit.

I am an absolute beginner to open water swimming and the benefits of a wet suit - warmth ,buoyancy - are attractive to me.

My issue is that I am 1.67m (5ft 6in) and 79kg (174lbs), which is not ideal wet suit height/weight ratio.

All the wet suit manufactures I have checked do not have a suit for my height/weight and I am not sure what to do - apart from lose around 6kg (13lbs).

I am losing weight, but I need a suit sooner rather than later.

Any help, advice would be appreciated.

Best regards,
OS57

2014-03-25 8:25 PM
in reply to: oldSpice57

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Wet suits for the fuller gentleman.
Wet suit sizing can be very subjective, and if you haven't worn one before, it's easy to think it fits wrong. If you fall outside the normal proportions, it's even more problematic, and since it seems you're in Europe, there's another level of complication.

If you haven't already, try calling or emailing them directly with your situation and measurements, for suggestions. Sizing charts are very subjective. Or find a company with a good return policy and roll the dice.

A local shop is probably your best bet, at least initially, if available. You'll pay a bit more, but for piece of mind it's probably worth it.
2014-03-30 10:00 PM
in reply to: oldSpice57

Subject: RE: Wet suits for the fuller gentleman.
Originally posted by oldSpice57

Hi All,
I am looking to purchase my first wet suit.

I am an absolute beginner to open water swimming and the benefits of a wet suit - warmth ,buoyancy - are attractive to me.

My issue is that I am 1.67m (5ft 6in) and 79kg (174lbs), which is not ideal wet suit height/weight ratio.

All the wet suit manufactures I have checked do not have a suit for my height/weight and I am not sure what to do - apart from lose around 6kg (13lbs).

I am losing weight, but I need a suit sooner rather than later.

Any help, advice would be appreciated.

Best regards,
OS57

Check out 2XU - medium solid for you.

http://www.2xu.co.nz/cprsc/sc_mens-wetsuits.png

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wet suits for the fuller gentleman. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wet Suit Full or Sleeveless

Started by ramjet
Views: 717 Posts: 6

2009-05-25 4:38 PM JohnAgs3

Wets Suits Sleevless vs Full

Started by realtree71
Views: 782 Posts: 7

2009-02-17 2:03 PM jonmetz

newbie-Tri suit vs. Wet Suit

Started by smdnyfl
Views: 1267 Posts: 7

2007-06-15 9:28 AM tri-chic

LongJohn vs Full wet suit

Started by misanthropic777
Views: 1566 Posts: 4

2006-01-08 7:16 PM pilotncommand172

Full Body Wet suit vs. speed

Started by cheesehead
Views: 616 Posts: 3

2005-07-19 1:02 PM olddskool
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2009
author : t3coach1
comments : 0
Looking to shave some time off and improve your swim efficiency during your races? We review the Rocket Skin Suit by Rocket Science Sports.

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.