General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Camp Eagle Off-Road Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

XTERRA Camp Eagle Off-Road Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rocksprings, Texas
United States
Race Revolutions
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 34m 32s
Overall Rank = 21/76
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

Pre-rode the mountain bike course the previous day. This helped a lot.
Swim
  • 33m 18s
  • 1000 meters
  • 03m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

I tried starting off to the outside and back edge since I knew I wasn't going to be at the front of the pack. I tried to start out calm and not go too hard. I experienced quite a bit of thrashing and ended up swallowing a little water and had to do a quick flip onto my back to cough up some water.

After the initial thrashing things settled down a bit and I found myself coming up on peoples toes and people were packed so closely that I think I spent more time trying to figure out how to pass than actually passing anyone. I took the first buoy wide and then nearly ran into the dam. At this point I still had nearly 2 laps to go and started to panick and think about how I might not be able to make it. I forced myself to think clearly and remember that with the wetsuit I basically float and only need to paddle my arms. I remembered my goal was to simply finish the race and I should stop worrying about going fast.

As I continued I noticed the people in front of me getting further and further away and I started to think that I was toward the back of the pack. My navigation at times wasn't great. I managed to run into a pole in the middle, and occasionally found myself on peoples toes but again tended to swim more out of the way than I should and don't think I passed those people.

Overall I ended up finishing middle of the pack and am pleased with my pace reported by my GPS.
What would you do differently?:

I think I need to work more on sighting and swimming straight. My pace reported by GPS was actually about as good as I believe I could swim however I probably could have shaved some of the distance by taking the buoys closer and sticking closer to people as I tried to pass them.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Exiting the swim you immediately climbed a steap set of stairs. I was quite winded and had to walk these. I also did not want to pull my wetsuit top over my head while going up the stairs so I waited till I reached the top. At that point I pull my top and started to jog to transition while I got my wetsuit down to my waist. I managed to step in some sand right before the transition entry point which stuck to my feet.

Once in transition I removed my wetsuit bottoms but one let got a little stuck on my heal. I spent extra time wiping my feet with a towel to try to get some of the sand off before I put on my socks and shoes. I also managed to grab a squeeze of energy gel from my flask before I put on my camel back, helmet, and glasses. lastly I put on my gloves and looked at my watch before walking to transition.

Looking at my watch I noticed it showed a little picture of the bike for the sport so I thought I might have accidentally already transitioned into bike mode. I tried changing the screen to see my bike time, and not the overall time but there only seemed to be one screen. At this point I realized it still had an arrow pointing to the bike, which I assumed was the transition to the bike so I ran to the exit hit the lap button and continued.

I think there are a lot of small things to optimize here. The two big ones are probably getting my gloves on while moving and being more familiar with my watch while in multisport mode. I could also potentially take some energy gel while moving though that probably only took 5 seconds with the flask in transition.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 41s
  • 10 miles
  • 7.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Having pre-rode the course I knew that the beginning of the course was mostly climbing and the second half of the course was mostly downhill. Knowing this my plan was to go hard untill I reached the top and pass as many people as I could along the way. During the climb I passed a number of riders and was only passed by one rider on the final climb before the big downhill.

On the decent I let my heart rate recover a little but tried to hold my speed over some of the small climbs. Entering the dry creek bed I did my best to keep the speed up but constant pounding of the hard rocks allowed another rider or two on full suspension bikes to squeeze past me.

The final section included more climbing and lots of loose rocks. I was able to pick off a few more riders on the climbs and managed to do my best cornering on all of the loose rocks.

I was pretty pleased with my biking performance, and don't really think I could have ridden the course any better. My bike weighed about 29lbs on race day and a lighter bike and possibly a full suspension would likely have been faster. I rode with 25psi in my tires and potentially could have used less but was a little worried I might slice a sidewall with all of the jagged rocks. I also mistakenly carried both 3 CO2 cartridges and a pump, when I should have left the pump in the car.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

I had a small amount of trouble getting my seat hooked on the rack. I also took two shots of energy gel from my flask, and double tied my shoe laces.

Only single tie your laces. If one comes untied on the run it is proably just as fast to retie as it was to double tie in transition. Could also take a energy gel on the run but was afraid that without some water it might be difficult to get it down.
Run
  • 38m 43s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to actually run the entire course however slow that might be. On the initial climbs this meant I was taking pretty small steps but I still managed to pass several people who simply walked the climbs. Once thing leveled out a bit I was able to pick up the pace. Once the decending started I again had to slow down at times simply because it was so steep you couldn't really run. I kept my gloves on from the bike and was able to grab trees and put my hands on some of the big rock ledges as I jumped down which I think helped.

The course ended up being about half a mile shorter than I expected. I might have been able to push more on the flats if I had known this. I also stopped for a few seconds at an unmanned water station since I needed water, and later again at a second manned station. Perhaps bringing a small flask of water on the run would allow eating an energy gel and save those two stops.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training? Additionaly doing more trail runs would probably help my running times since I normally run on flat gravel paths.

Event comments:

This was my first XTERRA so it is a little hard to compare. The environment was very laid back and everyone was very nice and helpful. The atmosphere is mostly like hanging out with a big group of friends, than some of the more commercial road events and races.

The post race food provided by Camp Eagle wasn't the best but we got there a little late and they had a hard time keeping the food trays filled as everyone was eating it faster than they could bring it out.

Last updated: 2014-02-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:18 | 1000 meters | 03m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 36/76
Performance: Average
Suit: Desoto T1
Course: Swim course was changed to a two lap loop above the dam. Race director said new route was around 800m, however my GPS reported .98 miles after the swim. I suspect there was a math error and we all swam twice as far as originally planned. Pace per 100m is based off of my GPS data and time immediately after exiting water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:17:41 | 10 miles | 7.72 mile/hr
Overall: 24/76
GPS reported distance 11.52 miles. Average HR: 163 bpm Max HR: 178 bpm
Wind: None
Course: Fairly technical course with loose baseball sized rocks. Pretty good amount of climbing, plenty of places to pass and overall reasonably fast course. Toward the end of the course you ener a dry rock-lined creek that was pretty rough on a hardtail.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:38:43 | 04 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 18/76
GPS recorded distance: 3.47 miles. Average HR: 161 bpm Max HR: 179 bpm.
Course: Full course contained lots of baseball sized rocks. Run started with a good amount of climbing and finished with mostly descending. Some of the decents were so steep and had large drops making them very difficult to run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-03-25 1:51 PM

User image

Austin, Texas
Subject: XTERRA Camp Eagle Off-Road Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Camp Eagle Off-Road Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

XTERRA Dirty Grizzly Off-Road Triathlon - XTERRA Course

Started by sgillen
Views: 1351 Posts: 1

2012-07-23 10:48 AM sgillen

Xterra Camp Eagle

Started by Tyrell
Views: 1028 Posts: 1

2009-06-08 6:58 PM Tyrell

Xterra Camp Eagle

Started by skinwalker
Views: 1817 Posts: 7

2008-08-28 2:14 PM mm5093

Xterra Camp Eagle

Started by JeepFleeb
Views: 901 Posts: 1

2007-09-23 11:22 PM JeepFleeb

XTERRA Camp Eagle

Started by Sparty
Views: 738 Posts: 2

2007-08-09 2:05 PM yellowhairdwarrior
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
comments : 0
End of season thoughts and tips

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 15, 2008
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.
date : December 15, 2008
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.