Other Resources My Cup of Joe » How much can you spend w/out discussing with your spouse? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-03-27 2:27 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Broadlands
Subject: RE: How much can you spend w/out discussing with your spouse?

depends how long I've been saving the pocket money she gives me.......

2014-03-27 3:07 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Maybe I'm lucky, but it really is not that hard at the Kido household.  I can't think of one item in the last 12 years where it was "I GOT to have this" and she was saying "no way" and had to battle it out.  The worst it gets is she may ask if I REALLY need that, and I typically relent because she is right (or visa versa) and I don't.

I'm fortunate.  Because I generally say if she wants it?  She can have it.  But I'm lucky that she doesn't want much.  I assume same goes for me.  I know people say money may be the biggest issue in a marriage.  But for me?  We hardly ever talk about money, much less argue about it.  Maybe 3 times in 12 years we had any heated conversation regarding money.  We barely give any thought to it. 

Maybe because we like to use our money to do things together rather than own things.  We will drop 5-6k on a vacation abroad every year and never think twice rather than update the cars we drive that are 10 years old already.  Or get the latest designer handbags or watches or shoes.  "Stuff" doesn't draw us as much as experiences together do.  I would GLADELY drive the Acura another year just to be able to do a two week castle tour of Scotland/Ireland with my wife.

2014-03-27 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

This has been an interesting discussion, thank you everyone. The one area I wonder about is the "What If" kind of stuff. If you have seperate accounts and one of you loses a job for an extended period of time, what happens? I imagine one covers for the other.  Then what happens later, when both are back to work? Repayment? As one of the "joint account people" I'm just trying to understand.

And I really do hope that this isn't something anyone has had to work through.

2014-03-27 3:09 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by cdban66

This has been an interesting discussion, thank you everyone. The one area I wonder about is the "What If" kind of stuff. If you have seperate accounts and one of you loses a job for an extended period of time, what happens? I imagine one covers for the other.  Then what happens later, when both are back to work? Repayment? As one of the "joint account people" I'm just trying to understand.

I would take over whatever payments she couldn't. No payback (unless that is something that was important to her. Which would be a discussion)

2014-03-27 3:10 PM
in reply to: dewybuck

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

We've always had a joint account for everything.  All pay went into it and all bills were paid out of it.  I would say the threshold was probably in the $100ish dollar range where either one of us would ask questions.

We had a little "incident" about three years ago where we discussed me buying a Tri bike and I knew I had a big bonus check coming so it wasn't a big deal.  I got a budget of $2500.  Well, me being me I came home with a $3500 Tri bike and about $1000 in accessories to go with it.  Hey, I needed a matching  helmet and shoes.  
We could certainly afford it, but lets just say I didn't get any "pizza" that night.

There had been a few times where I had nitpicked some of my wifes purchases in the past as well, so we decided to create our own separate discretionary checking accounts and give ourselves a monthly allowance.  This way neither one of us can complain about what we buy because it's in the budget and we both get the same.

We've done that for almost 4 years now and it's worked out really well and makes life much easier when I come home with something stupid I got suckered into buying.

My advice to others is to simply communicate and work out a system that works for you and your significant other.  If your number is $500 and your wife's number is $20 then you're going to have some issues. 

2014-03-27 3:18 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Bronze member

We are both conservative about spending and have never had a reason to set a limit. I get nervous about spending large sums of money and tend to avoid it. Hubby takes forever to make a decision about anything so no worries there. He has been talking about trading off his truck on another vehicle for 3 months and he is no closer now than he was 3 months ago. By the time he makes a decision I will just be glad I don't have to hear him talk about cars anymore . Also add into the mix that we live in a rural area without very many shopping options so that erases a lot of impulse purchases. We have always kept a joint bank account. 

I am not working full time so I tend to keep any money I get for birthday or Christmas presents separate. I keep a stash aside for things that are just for me then I don't feel guilty about spending on something frivolous like a massage or tri stuff. Hubby does not make me feel guilty, it is just me. Probably due to growing up listening to my mother tell me to save every penny I was ever given as a child!

2014-03-27 3:29 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Bronze member

The funniest money story we have faced was my purchase of a tri bike.

At the time I decided to try to save for the bike I was working 3 hours a week for minimum wage at the Y while my "real" job was a stay at home Mom. You can imagine, this was going to take a while. But every 2 weeks I would cash my pay check and put it in my bike fund jar along with any birthday or Christmas money. It started to add up and I was about half way there. One day we were at the lake out on the boat and my daughter (she was probably 2) started fussing and whining. Hubby turned to me and said "I will pay you $1,000 if you can get her to be quiet!" So I put her on my lap, covered her with a towel and she fell asleep in about 5 minutes.

I still love my tri bike, and he will still say that was some of the best money he ever spent. Teamwork .

2014-03-27 3:49 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
I am a 'volunteer' fire fighter. I get a small check depending upon how many runs a I make. ($10 per call) I save that money and spend it how I wish without discussing. My wife also gets small checks here and there doing odd jobs for her irresponsible spending cash.

If the money comes out of our mutual checking account from our real jobs. Anything outside of gas and food is discussed with my wife.
2014-03-27 4:02 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by trigal38

The funniest money story we have faced was my purchase of a tri bike.

At the time I decided to try to save for the bike I was working 3 hours a week for minimum wage at the Y while my "real" job was a stay at home Mom. You can imagine, this was going to take a while. But every 2 weeks I would cash my pay check and put it in my bike fund jar along with any birthday or Christmas money. It started to add up and I was about half way there. One day we were at the lake out on the boat and my daughter (she was probably 2) started fussing and whining. Hubby turned to me and said "I will pay you $1,000 if you can get her to be quiet!" So I put her on my lap, covered her with a towel and she fell asleep in about 5 minutes.

I still love my tri bike, and he will still say that was some of the best money he ever spent. Teamwork .

That's funny.

2014-03-27 4:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I'm probably the odd man out, financially speaking.

My wife makes a good bit more than I (she's an RN, I'm a grease monkey). Since we're on opposite schedules, she works a little bit more than the minimum needed for us to pay our bills, save a bit, etc. She is also in control of the finances. I may be able to take a car, tear it down into little bits and put it together better than before... but I am a complete idiot when it comes to money. Everything we do is as a team, which we are. Even though she controls the spending, I know about every penny (and I am amazed at how far she makes it go!). That being said, my tri equipment is a cheap bike, good running shoes (tried cheap, and the injuries have sucked), cheap goggles... you see where this is going... We also have 4 little ones (well... 1 little, 2 not-so-little and 1 big 'un). The best part tho is that we're healthy (and getting healthier) and happy.

Forgot the original question. Pretty much anything over $5 is discussed. Big items are planned for as needed

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-03-27 4:33 PM
2014-03-27 4:34 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

Originally posted by lisac957

I heard a statistic this morning (no source, sorry) that the average couple can spend $300 before discussing it with each other first.

Does your family have a threshold like this? If so, what is it?
Do you have other family guidelines for big purchases?
Do you have a "me" account where you don't have to ask or justify whatsoever?

I am single and live solo, so nothing of the sort for me. But it's always interesting to see how others do it.

No threshold. Never needed one. We've just always been honest with each other and we talk about everything. Do you have other family guidelines for big purchases? Again, no, as we both just talk big purchases out before we make the purchase. Do you have a "me" account where you don't have to ask or justify whatsoever? No, no "me account." And no, we don't HAVE to ask or justify, but why would anyone feel threatened to talk it out ahead of time with the person they love most in their life? The "me" account cracks me up. It reminds me of all the talk of "me time." It's a self-indulgent age for sure...and I'm totally not on board with it and 1000% embrace the "we time." Between all the "me accounts" and "me time," I often wonder why a lot of folks out there even bother getting married or raising children.

Because we love our "we" time too.....but we are also very independent people.  We adore our children, and encourage them to be independent as well.  I think you make a lot of assumptions, like you did in the thread about going to races.  For instance, you ask, "why would anyone feel threatened to talk it out ahead of time with the person they love most in their life".  For us it's, "why in the hell would the person I love most in my life feel the need to ask me if they could buy something they wanted?"   It's the reason we've never felt the need to combine or share finances.  Threatened??  Dude, please.

I remember driving home from a duck hunting trip one day and feeling like I didn't want to walk through a swamp for 2 miles anymore, so I stopped and bought a 4-wheeler.....if I remember right it was about 5500.00.  The salesman wanted to know if I wanted to call my wife and talk to her since I was putting her name on the title......he could not get over the fact that I didn't want to.  Finally, I said, "dude, she doesn't duck hunt."  I have to say, it would NEVER occur to me to call and ask permission, or discuss it in any way......I can't figure out why I would need to. 

We discuss our children, our lives, our hopes, and our dreams......I don't give a rats arse about her money or what she spends it on.

You also made a pretty big assumption as well. You said it would NEVER occur to you to call and ask permission. I never said anything about "asking permission." I tried to be very clear about that point as I knew it would be jumped on. So, I take it your money is your money and her money is her money. If that works for you, great. That said, when you say you discuss your children, your lives, your hopes, and your dreams...a few of those things are impacted by available resources. Dropping $5500 on a moment's notice may be okay with you, but to the majority of Americans out there (including me) that's just not practical, and probably heavily affects budgets/plans/etc.

CD - it's worked for us for over 20 years.....it's not something we just came up with.  And while your making notes....you might also note that I didn't just say ask permission, I also said discuss it in any way.  We split expenses......but our finances and what we spend our money on outside of those expenses is our individual business and never gets discussed.  From where I sit, your comments about "why even be married or have kids" is WAAAAY out of line.  I guess I can assume that you are married or have kids just so you can share money with each other? 

This is pretty laughable for me as I think it's the only argument I've ever had about money with regard to marriage.

Yikes, no argument on my end man. Whatever floats your boat. It works for ya, that's great! ...and yes, very happily married as well. Look at that, it can be done many different ways. Our model of completely pooled assets would never work for you guys...and your "individual business that never gets discussed" would never work for us. I apologize LB if I offended you in any way. I still stand by my stance on the modern day emphasis on me time and me accounts though. I'd love to see more emphasis on we than me...but sadly, I do believe the we is going the way of the dinosaur. Let me ironically snap a frowning selfie now. Dang, 23 years after the St. Louis riot, Guns N' Roses fans are still givin' you grief LB!

HA!!!  No worries, I'm not offended in any way.  I always enjoy reading your POV of things.  And BTW, in case you ever hear otherwise when you're at a GNR "remember when" rally.......we kicked some serious GNR fan arse that day. LMAOOO

Likewise LB! That is hilarious. I'm totally not the rioting type...I'd have been out of that scene the second Axl threw the microphone down!
That said, you may have cleared the rioters out in the end...but not before at least a million bucks of damage was done!

Yep, I tend to get a little Andy Rooney at times. I'm like a 90-year old in an almost 40 year old's body.
That said, I'm the luckiest "you know what-er" in the world.

Just got done with a long swim, I saw a few good posts I should respond to...gotta eat now though!

2014-03-27 4:56 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I wrote about this in another post but edited it out because I was getting WAY too verbose already.

TO ME, separate accounts doesn't mean separate money.  It's only two places we put money.  She deposits her paychecks in hers, and I deposit my paychecks in mine, but it's OUR money.

Mortgage comes automatically out of mine (along with insurance) and bills come out of hers.  If we have a big expense or vacation?  Who ever has a surplus buys the big items.  If someone runs short?  The other transfers over a couple thousand.

When I was unemployed, I still managed to pay for the mortgage and insurance for a while but when I got low, transferred the mortgage to hers.  I guess we figured so many of our bills were already electronically paid out of one account or the other, why bother setting up a new "joint" account and change everything?

When I started working again, mortgage electronically came out of mine again and now I have built up my buffer. 

If I buy a half gallon of ice cream.  And she buys a half gallon of ice cream, we have two containers of ice cream we both eat from in the freezer.  There are no "paybacks" or complaints one person is eating more than the other or asking permission to eat "their" ice cream.  We don't buy a gallon Tupperware container and transfer all the ice cream into it so it's a "joint" ice-cream container.  It's really that simple.  Two places that have OUR money.  BTW, both our names are on both our accounts.  I just manage "mine", she managers "hers".  Some people have a bills account and a vacation account or a rainy day account.  Still everyone's money, just spread out a little differently.

2014-03-27 5:28 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kido

As a side note.  The wife was shooting a commercial last night when I found a screaming deal on a Leupold rangefinder.  $500 down to $276 and pulled the trigger!  I can't wait to show the wife and have her roll her eyes in disinterest when I tell her that I can now know EXACTLY how many yards it is to the pin.  I'll probably bring it on a walk with her and say "it's exactly 276 yards to that house, and 217 to that fire hydrant, and 147 to the dog taking a crap" until she punches me.

Now this made me laugh And I think it's a sign of a healthy relationship - when you look forward to harmlessly, mildly annoying the other one just for kicks

2014-03-27 5:37 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I wrote about this in another post but edited it out because I was getting WAY too verbose already.

TO ME, separate accounts doesn't mean separate money.  It's only two places we put money.  She deposits her paychecks in hers, and I deposit my paychecks in mine, but it's OUR money.

Mortgage comes automatically out of mine (along with insurance) and bills come out of hers.  If we have a big expense or vacation?  Who ever has a surplus buys the big items.  If someone runs short?  The other transfers over a couple thousand.

When I was unemployed, I still managed to pay for the mortgage and insurance for a while but when I got low, transferred the mortgage to hers.  I guess we figured so many of our bills were already electronically paid out of one account or the other, why bother setting up a new "joint" account and change everything?

When I started working again, mortgage electronically came out of mine again and now I have built up my buffer. 

If I buy a half gallon of ice cream.  And she buys a half gallon of ice cream, we have two containers of ice cream we both eat from in the freezer.  There are no "paybacks" or complaints one person is eating more than the other or asking permission to eat "their" ice cream.  We don't buy a gallon Tupperware container and transfer all the ice cream into it so it's a "joint" ice-cream container.  It's really that simple.  Two places that have OUR money.  BTW, both our names are on both our accounts.  I just manage "mine", she managers "hers".  Some people have a bills account and a vacation account or a rainy day account.  Still everyone's money, just spread out a little differently.

I'll bite. 

Why have the separate accounts at all then? Is it really just the inconvenience of opening a joint account and changing the online bills? Or is there a feeling of independence knowing if all he*l breaks loose you have your own account? Is it so the other person doesn't see every little spending indiscretion? 

Just wondering out loud. LB and his wife seem to be very separate in their accounts, ie not a lot of transferring a couple thousand back and forth, no both names on the accounts and such. Your situation as you say sounds more "our money in different places" mentality. Just wonder the reason for separate places if it is really "our" money. 

2014-03-27 6:13 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Aarondb4

I'll bite. 

Why have the separate accounts at all then? Is it really just the inconvenience of opening a joint account and changing the online bills? Or is there a feeling of independence knowing if all he*l breaks loose you have your own account? Is it so the other person doesn't see every little spending indiscretion? 

Just wondering out loud. LB and his wife seem to be very separate in their accounts, ie not a lot of transferring a couple thousand back and forth, no both names on the accounts and such. Your situation as you say sounds more "our money in different places" mentality. Just wonder the reason for separate places if it is really "our" money. 

I can think of several reasons.  First, I bought the house and pay for my car and lots of other stuff automatically from my account prior to our marriage.  I even got some breaks (The bank I got the mortgage from cut a half point or something IF I also had an account with them that I electronically deposited my paycheck in).  Same with her.  Too lazy to change I guess?  First thing we did is add each other to our existing accounts, 401k's, added her to the house title when we re-fi'ed, and added each other as beneficiaries.  Mostly so the other person could get at it if we get hit by a bus.

Also, she is self employed and incorporated.  So she has a corporate account AND her personal account that she "pays" herself from (the clients pay her corporation, then her corporation pays her).  This was strongly suggested to us by our tax accountant to both help identify company expenses and write-offs, and get tax breaks.  It also protects our personal assets if there is a corporate problem.

For us, it's a really simple way to identify business expenses (paid from her corporate account), and personal expenses.  We can give our accountant her corporate ledger and he works his magic.  We can also easily identify all home improvement costs from her personal account, and mortgage and insurance from mine.  We are even allowed to write off a portion of entertainment costs since she is in the business and it can be considered research or career development.  So again, it's a much easier way to keep things organized than if EVERY item we paid for for an entire year was coming out of one account.

As for a "separation"?  First of all.  Not going to happen as far as I can tell.  Second?  Separate accounts don't mean squat if it came to it.  You both have to list all your assets (and liabilities) and then they get divided for you if you can't come to an agreement.  So separate accounts don't offer any kind of protection or independence.

It's really just a game of tax breaks, airline miles, credit card points, and organization.  No deep psychological meaning behind it.  Maybe some feel that if it's not a joint account it's not "open" to the other that they are keeping secrets.  That's not us though.  Like I said earlier, I we trust each other to not harm "us".  And as for spending indiscretions?  They either don't happen or I don't CARE if she has an indiscretion.  She gets yet another pair of boots?  Who cares?  It's not an indiscretion unless it does harm.  So far, that hasn't happened and I we trust each other that we wouldn't let it happen.  Maybe we are foolish to trust each other so much?  I figured that's what married people do.  I COULD be a closet gambler and she would never know unless they took the house for missed payments!

2014-03-27 6:18 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

This will REALLY blow some minds.  She still hasn't taken my last name yet.  GASP!!!!!!!  She has her name that she has marketed herself as for her corporation and there is no real reason to change it.  When/if we have kids?  Things may change.  And on some documents, it's hyphenated.  But it really doesn't matter legally and doesn't change how we feel about each other.  But yet, many people, including some of my family, think there's something very wrong with that and not following the tradition.  Her father also didn't "give her away" and I didn't "take" her.  She a person, not a plant - no need to perpetuate dated traditions, IMO.  It all kind of goes together.

2014-03-27 6:26 PM

New user
My and I have been married about 35 years and have NEVER had a joint account. The main reason is that my account is balanced to the penny, and hers, well who knows. We have always divided up the bills based on who was the major bread winner at the time. As far as personal purchases, we purchase what we want as long as the retirement, savings, investment goals are/were met and the bills paid. We both are pretty much minimalists when it comes to stuff so there has never been any problems nor do I expect any. Works for us, but to each his own.
2014-03-27 8:15 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Elite
After reading many threads, I've come away with some thoughts...please take them with a grain of salt:

1: separate accounts can be a great idea
  • ..especially if the other person in your relationship is financially irresponsible. or,
  • ..especially if you are wealthy and want to protect your assets in the long-run. or,
  • if that's the way you've always done it, and it's worked for you.

2: separate or joint accounts, it doesn't really matter when there is enough "play money" available to the couple. That old adage, "Mo' Money Mo' Problems" doesn't seem to hold true.

3. some of the previously mentioned "separate account" set-ups sounded very complicated. Mathematical equations to determine who pays for what? Really? Every time? It would be like doing your taxes every month/week/day of my life! It sounds complicated to me.

4. No matter how many times I said that folks like me who pool everything don't ask permission, really we don't, it seems that when you say "discuss major purchases" it somehow always gets translated as, "asking permission." Yes, there are unfortunate folks out there that have to deal with that-controlling spouses could really be bad I'd imagine. But, I'm assuming if someone decides to marry someone they probably should have been able to read prior to saying "I do" that the other person has behavioral or financial red flags.

5. How about stay-at-home moms? If it's separate accounts, are working spouses giving their stay at home spouses allowances? Personally, my wife (or me) would find that insulting to put a monetary value on the position.

6. The final take-home thought I have is that there really are several different "ideal" ways to do it. Just because a completely joint account works for me and my wife, doesn't mean it would work well for another couple. In the end, I will say it's probably very wise for savers NOT to marry spenders. Now, I just have to wait for yet one more of my massive generalizations to get blown to pieces!!!

2014-03-27 8:18 PM

User image

Elite

This will REALLY blow some minds.  She still hasn't taken my last name yet.  GASP!!!!!!!  She has her name that she has marketed herself as for her corporation and there is no real reason to change it.  When/if we have kids?  Things may change.  And on some documents, it's hyphenated.  But it really doesn't matter legally and doesn't change how we feel about each other.  But yet, many people, including some of my family, think there's something very wrong with that and not following the tradition.  Her father also didn't "give her away" and I didn't "take" her.  She a person, not a plant - no need to perpetuate dated traditions, IMO.  It all kind of goes together.

Maybe a little off-topic, but I just wanted to say the "not name-change" makes sense in your case. If you've got an established brand, and it's part of your livelihood, that just makes sense. Keeping that window open if/when you have kids like you said Kido makes perfect sense to me.
    2014-03-27 8:27 PM
    in reply to: mehaner

User image

Elite
    Originally posted by mehaner

I heard a statistic this morning (no source, sorry) that the average couple can spend $300 before discussing it with each other first.

I am single and live solo, so nothing of the sort for me. But it's always interesting to see how others do it.

No threshold. Never needed one. We've just always been honest with each other and we talk about everything. Do you have other family guidelines for big purchases? Again, no, as we both just talk big purchases out before we make the purchase. Do you have a "me" account where you don't have to ask or justify whatsoever? No, no "me account." And no, we don't HAVE to ask or justify, but why would anyone feel threatened to talk it out ahead of time with the person they love most in their life? The "me" account cracks me up. It reminds me of all the talk of "me time." It's a self-indulgent age for sure...and I'm totally not on board with it and 1000% embrace the "we time." Between all the "me accounts" and "me time," I often wonder why a lot of folks out there even bother getting married or raising children.

Because we love our "we" time too.....but we are also very independent people.  We adore our children, and encourage them to be independent as well.  I think you make a lot of assumptions, like you did in the thread about going to races.  For instance, you ask, "why would anyone feel threatened to talk it out ahead of time with the person they love most in their life".  For us it's, "why in the hell would the person I love most in my life feel the need to ask me if they could buy something they wanted?"   It's the reason we've never felt the need to combine or share finances.  Threatened??  Dude, please.

I remember driving home from a duck hunting trip one day and feeling like I didn't want to walk through a swamp for 2 miles anymore, so I stopped and bought a 4-wheeler.....if I remember right it was about 5500.00.  The salesman wanted to know if I wanted to call my wife and talk to her since I was putting her name on the title......he could not get over the fact that I didn't want to.  Finally, I said, "dude, she doesn't duck hunt."  I have to say, it would NEVER occur to me to call and ask permission, or discuss it in any way......I can't figure out why I would need to. 

We discuss our children, our lives, our hopes, and our dreams......I don't give a rats arse about her money or what she spends it on.

You also made a pretty big assumption as well. You said it would NEVER occur to you to call and ask permission. I never said anything about "asking permission." I tried to be very clear about that point as I knew it would be jumped on. So, I take it your money is your money and her money is her money. If that works for you, great. That said, when you say you discuss your children, your lives, your hopes, and your dreams...a few of those things are impacted by available resources. Dropping $5500 on a moment's notice may be okay with you, but to the majority of Americans out there (including me) that's just not practical, and probably heavily affects budgets/plans/etc.

CD - it's worked for us for over 20 years.....it's not something we just came up with.  And while your making notes....you might also note that I didn't just say ask permission, I also said discuss it in any way.  We split expenses......but our finances and what we spend our money on outside of those expenses is our individual business and never gets discussed.  From where I sit, your comments about "why even be married or have kids" is WAAAAY out of line.  I guess I can assume that you are married or have kids just so you can share money with each other? 

This is pretty laughable for me as I think it's the only argument I've ever had about money with regard to marriage.

hate to admit how much i agree with LB here.  i didn't know i ceased to be an individual when i married mr. meh.

Well I'm glad I could provide that little nugget o' knowledge to ya mehaner! (of course I'm kidding)
    From my perspective, I just see the pooling of funds as a team effort. My wife and I have never had any financial arguments. (arguments are usually of a Seinfeldian nature...my dislike of decorative pillows, my dislike of unabsorbent "decorative" aka useless towels, or her dislike of me licking the plate or bowl clean - which is really just me complimenting the awesome meal she cooked up...)
    2014-03-28 5:39 AM

User image

Pro
    Twin Cities
    Originally posted by Aarondb4I will answer for my house in a subsequent post but I have a question for the separate accounts people.
    Well, my husband would live in a big white box, if he had the opportunity...or never change anything. So, for a lot of middle ground stuff, I just buy it. But if I wanted a new living roo, set, we'd discuss...if we couldn't agree, then I'd either get it myself or wait. It's rare though, that big items we are super far apart on. It does happen, but not common.

2014-03-28 6:29 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
    The Road Back
    Gold member

I just asked Mama Bear this question and she said, "There is no need to ask, we just use common sense."  

Married for 25+ years, never had an argument of substance over finances. Closest we come is when I have to tell her to quit being so cheap frugal and spend some money on herself.

2014-03-28 7:42 AM
    in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Champion
    the alamo city, Texas

hate to admit how much i agree with LB here.  i didn't know i ceased to be an individual when i married mr. meh.

Well I'm glad I could provide that little nugget o' knowledge to ya mehaner! (of course I'm kidding) From my perspective, I just see the pooling of funds as a team effort. My wife and I have never had any financial arguments. (arguments are usually of a Seinfeldian nature...my dislike of decorative pillows, my dislike of unabsorbent "decorative" aka useless towels, or her dislike of me licking the plate or bowl clean - which is really just me complimenting the awesome meal she cooked up...)

actually, mr. meh and i have only one account total for everything because for me - it's just easier to manage all things out of one fund rather than figure out who pays what.  and we're lazy.  when we got married it was easier to add me to his bank than it was to change my name at my bank.  however, we still have things that are mine or his or ours.  i'm still very much an individual in addition to being a part of a team.

2014-03-28 7:44 AM
    in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Champion
    the alamo city, Texas

Maybe a little off-topic, but I just wanted to say the "not name-change" makes sense in your case. If you've got an established brand, and it's part of your livelihood, that just makes sense. Keeping that window open if/when you have kids like you said Kido makes perfect sense to me.

she shouldn't need a reason or justification for this, however.  i don't know why a woman changing her name or not impacts anyone in the world besides her.  i'm not a bra-burner and DID change my name when i married (more because i dislike father than because i am my husband's property) but my friends are pretty much 50/50 and some of them had no reason besides "it is a pain in the a-- to do it" and they are right and that is a fine reason.

2014-03-28 9:11 AM
    in reply to: mehaner

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
    Bronze member

she shouldn't need a reason or justification for this, however.  i don't know why a woman changing her name or not impacts anyone in the world besides her.  i'm not a bra-burner and DID change my name when i married (more because i dislike father than because i am my husband's property) but my friends are pretty much 50/50 and some of them had no reason besides "it is a pain in the a-- to do it" and they are right and that is a fine reason.

Ditto here - one of my friends was a Realtor when she got married and had an established brand with her name and did not change it (all though 3 years later I see she is hyphenating). Another friend was a Broadway singer with a "brand" as well, but she DID change her name because she wanted to. A third friend never changed her name - no idea why - don't really care why. I don't bat an eye when people do, or don't. 

New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » How much can you spend w/out discussing with your spouse? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Do you discuss things with CoJ that you wouldn't discuss with your significant other?

Started by KenD
    Views: 1326 Posts: 15

2009-04-08 10:02 AM BHannahs

bottles and cans, just clap your hands

Started by run4yrlif
    Views: 1205 Posts: 14

2008-08-06 4:54 PM JoshR

Anyone out there do any canning?

Started by madkat
    Views: 1520 Posts: 22

2008-08-02 4:03 PM bootygirl

Ms. Nevada canned by Trump Pages: 1 2